PDA

View Full Version : v9980 ultra

Captain
January 27th, 2004, 10:03 PM
This card just dont want to work in my PC for some odd reason.. My computer ran a 9800 pro fine... i dont understand why it wont run this one.. bah... got the second one in today and i still have the same problem... get 5 mins into a game and the computer will shutdown... IF someone could figure that out Good Luck LoL

CPU:

Manufacturer Intel
Family Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Internal Clock 2.5 GHz
Internal Clock Maximum 2.5 GHz
External Clock 133.0 MHz
Socket Designation Microprocessor
Type Central
Upgrade ZIF Socket
HyperThreadingTechnology Available - Disabled
Capabilities MMX, CMov, RDTSC, SSE, SSE2
Version Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz

Direct X:

Version 9.0b
Long Version 4.09.00.0902

Motherboard Info:

Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
Model Dimension 8200
BIOS Vendor Dell Computer Corporation
BIOS Version DELL - 8
BIOS Release Date 18/04/02
BIOS Properties Plug and Play, Flash, AGP
AGP
Revision 2.0
Rate 1x, 2x, 4x (4x enabled)
Available Rate 0x00000007
Selected Rate 0x00000004
Aperture Size 256 MB
Sideband Addressing supported (enabled)
Fast Write supported (enabled)

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 27th, 2004, 10:55 PM
All I know is those cards are power hogs. Why else would it have an external power plug besides what most cards get straight from the agp slot. I would see it only being a voltage/power issue. The reason I think its a power issue is because a game makes your computer actually work everything.

Does it shutdown when you run any type of benchmark utility? Do you have any other utilities/apps that put your pc in a bind that you can try. I know that I've seen the 5900 ultra actually call for a "minimum" psu requirement of 350watts and even go so far as to say "DO NOT get a cheap of the wall brand psu". Why not call or email asus and ask them what the psu requirement is for that card.

Captain
January 27th, 2004, 11:12 PM
an ASUS tech told me 350watt power supply was enough.. but i am beginning to wonder if it really is

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 27th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Here is a very good article that might help explain a few things. Its also a reason why I love my enermax 450 watt psu. You can see that the general psu's just don't add up to what you would think.

Also, Dell's psu's are usually under rated. A 250watt Dell psu probably puts only the same or slightly lower than a generic 350watt psu. Just read the article, I found it just for you... hehe... btw, I said it was the psu from the beginning and remember when I told you to buy a good psu from newegg but you wanted it that day and didn't want to wait 3-4 days for shipping. How long ago was that? A week and a half and its still not working ;) Shame shame shame..

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/default.asp

Also, I'll take that extra card off of your hands for ya :D

LA_MERC_Drax
January 27th, 2004, 11:49 PM
something i know about dells, the motherboards are specific to thier power supplies. When i got my new case, i couldn't use the more powerful power suplly because it wouldn't power my motherboard. It may be a problem with the dell motherboard, just a suggestion to look at.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 28th, 2004, 05:26 AM
He dosn't have a Dell PSU anymore.
We also tried my 9800 Pro in his machine and it worked fine for over an hour (just to see if it was a system issue or a card issue).

CajunTech
January 28th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Could always give the card to me (550watt PSU) and I could give you my awesome 9600 Pro :)

Captain
January 28th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by CajunTech
Could always give the card to me (550watt PSU) and I could give you my awesome 9600 Pro :)

your pro + $300.00 LoL

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==