PDA

View Full Version : Da Video card has cometh

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
January 22nd, 2004, 02:20 AM
Problem is I can't get the Catylist drivers to install, either off of the cd that came with the card or the ones I've downloaded from www.ati.com

I have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MOBO, 2500 Barton, 2x512 Crucial RAM Dual mode, ATI 9600XT 128mb AGP, free coupon for HL2...if it ever comes out.

I get through a couple of screens then when it's actually installing the Windows XP driver set a window opens and in the red bar across the top it says Severe.
Then in the box it says "Setup was unable to complete installation. Try setup display adapter with standard VGA driver before running setup."

I read the manual and it said to uninstall all my drivers and stuff that came with Nvidia. So I did all that before I installed the card, and I just changed my BIOS settings to make sure that it's using AGP. So I guess I need to figure out wth the standard VGA driver is so I can actually scroll down the screen w/o jumping.

Timbo
January 22nd, 2004, 05:17 AM
Hey. man i do not use ati drivers. I use the ome drivers. it work good for me http://www.omegacorner.com/

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
January 22nd, 2004, 07:18 AM
Try removing the VIDEO card from device manager after uninstalling the drivers. After you reboot You want to make sure the the video shows as a standard video card (or something like that.)

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 22nd, 2004, 07:32 AM
Exiles, If there is a bios update for your board, run it. Also, on most giga-byte boards, there is a secret settings in the bios that you can access by hitting ctrl+F1 as soon as you enter the bios setup. Make sure that the additional video settings in those extra settings are setup correctly.

Next thing is to go to http://www.viaarena.com and download the lastest 4in1 via drivers. After those are installed, you will need to reboot. During this time "DO NOT LET THE ATI CARD TRY TO INSTALL ITSELF", just cancel all its attempts to locate a driver. Once you have all that done then try to download the latest 4.1 catalyst drivers from ati.com and install those. Tell us what happens

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
January 22nd, 2004, 07:55 AM
He has the same board I have and it does not use VIA. It uses the NForce 2 chipset. Go here to download the latest drivers for the Nforce 2 chipset:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_3.13

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 22nd, 2004, 07:58 AM
ahhh.. I should have see the 7N in the model number of the board. Most other amd boards use the via chipset but yes, either way, make sure you use the last Nforce chipset drivers before you try to install the ati drivers

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
January 22nd, 2004, 11:06 AM
W00t! Thanks Toby and Malachi, I can actually play games again, BF1942 wasn't playable with my last card, it's a whole lot betterer now. I get 100fps on aztec in CS, which is about 60 to 80 fps better than it was before. Again thanks for your help, I R nUb!

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
January 22nd, 2004, 11:08 AM
Now I need to figure out how to tweak it just right, how do I get to see my fps on BF1942?

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
January 22nd, 2004, 01:58 PM
Glad we could help!

Wratt
January 22nd, 2004, 09:20 PM
nice to hear you got new vid card...i have an ati wonder 128 which does very well and gives me a ping of about 60-80 most of the time...
i also learned some tweaks from the site www.csimmortals.com which help alot..but be careful in there some of them were considered cheats when i use to use punkbuster...:P peace out all...

Wratt
January 22nd, 2004, 09:22 PM
ps: i just got a new monitor which is really great..its a viewsonic 17gs 17"inch screen and any res i want...my old one was only 648x400 this one helps alot and higher refresh rate....laters

LA_MERC_MadMAX
January 22nd, 2004, 09:30 PM
Ummm - video cards don't affect your ping - your connection does...

Vid cards affect your Frames Per Second...

Just FYI :)

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==