PDA

View Full Version : another pc question

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 2nd, 2003, 06:51 AM
it seems my computer has gremlins!

every once in a while (more often recently) my pc will just lock up, ie no response from keyboard or mouse. All the lights on mouse and keyboard are on. This usually happens when i try to start a program, i double click on the program to start but then my pc seems to stop responding. Could this be a RAM issue? I had 512mb pc2100 but i noticed the other day that one of my chips must not be working because the properties say i have only 256mb.

my next step is to find out what chip is messing up, but if you guys have any other ideas please chime in!

Also, can a bad RAM chip cause problems?

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 2nd, 2003, 07:05 AM
Check temps on your CPU...
How old is your computer?
How old is your CPU fan?
How clean is your heatsink?

Lockups could be CPU, Power or memory related...but, you have to take them one at a time.

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 2nd, 2003, 07:14 AM
i just bought and installed a new mobo and processor w/heat sink about 3-4 weeks ago. xp2400 with the recommended heat sink (not sure of the specs but it came in the box w/ the cpu)

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 2nd, 2003, 08:24 AM
Ok...what about your power supply?

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 2nd, 2003, 08:39 AM
i have a 350W power supply that came with my case, got it about 2 yrs ago.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
December 2nd, 2003, 09:01 AM
Just go into your bios and there should be a section that will tell you what the current cpu temp is.

Also, remove the ram and put it back in and then see if it reads correctly when the computer starts up. See if board is counting all the ram.

Make sure you set the bios to defaults, don't run any advance memory timing settings or optimal bios settings.

$pecto|2
December 2nd, 2003, 11:33 AM
make sure all your programs get closed, xp can hang when 1 program u think u closed gets a "no responding" then it can freeze... a quick alt+ctrl+del and check whats running, then manually end the task if thats the case.

Defragging is a always a good idea when u get wierd problems....

CajunTech
December 2nd, 2003, 04:12 PM
Try reseating both DIMMS, power up and see if it counts to 512MB.

If not, pull out both memory DIMMS. Place #1 in the machine and power it on and opens a few programs to see what happens. Remove #1 and replace it with #2 and test it out.

If both memory chips work fine then you can test if it is power related. Athlons draw mucho power, but I have never experienced a problem (550watt Enermax PSU hehe). Power off the PC and then unplug the power going to your CD-ROMs and case fans (leave the side cover off for all this testing). Boot up and mess around in windows seeing if it locks up.

If it still locks up you can check the model hard drive you have and go to the manufacturer's website to download a diagnostic program.

Let me know if need anything..

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 2nd, 2003, 09:27 PM
well, after much troubleshooting:

1. i have a bad memory chip

2. i had a loose connection between my h/d and my h/d fan which caused loss of power to h/d.

I'm down to 256mb of RAM now but at least everything is running smoothly.

my temp was about 168 F on the CPU, is this OK?

Thanks for all the help guys! Anyone want to buy a pc2100 256MB chip? really cheap too!!!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==