PDA

View Full Version : keyboard & mouse not working

LA_MERC_Sabre
October 31st, 2003, 08:36 AM
ahhhhhh!!!!!!

my mouse and sometimes my keyboard stop responding for no apparent reason. My computer will make a "beep" sound (much like the one at startup) and then my mouse quits working. I have an optical mouse, and after this 'beep' no lights come on on the mouse. It's happening almost evertime i start my computer in the past 2-3 days...wth is wrong?

please help!!!

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 31st, 2003, 08:41 AM
Give us some specs of what exactly you have as far as keyboard, mouse, Operating System, motherboard.

Captain
October 31st, 2003, 08:48 AM
you pretty much just need to reinstall your OS LoL

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 31st, 2003, 08:50 AM
Go AwaY n00b!!!

LA_MERC_Sabre
October 31st, 2003, 08:54 AM
don't say that captain!!!

ok here goes:

microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite
microsoft Optical mouse blue (usb/ps2) I'm using ps/2
Windows XP
k7s5a mobo w/ 1.4 amd thunderbird processor
512 meg ram

One thing is that i noticed that my mouse fits in the ps/2 port loosely, but i think it's always been like that. Not sure why it would start acting up now.

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 31st, 2003, 09:01 AM
On a related note, has anyone experience a lack of keyboard/mouse functionality in CS afetr you get killed? i.e. you can't hit tab to see scores or cycle through peeps and change views...

LA_MERC_Sabre
October 31st, 2003, 09:02 AM
hey hey hey,.....one question at a time plz....

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 31st, 2003, 09:06 AM
Try using your mouse in the usb port and see if you have the same problems..

Maybe update the bios on your mobo .. Seems the older bios's had issues with keyboard power on functionality

http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/dw_spec.asp?product_id=192

also seems to be an agp update that might be useful.. Make sure that its the correct motherboard and version

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 31st, 2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Dirge
On a related note, has anyone experience a lack of keyboard/mouse functionality in CS afetr you get killed? i.e. you can't hit tab to see scores or cycle through peeps and change views...

If you come across this issue, drop console and type
spec_menu 0

LA_MERC_Sabre
October 31st, 2003, 09:09 AM
ok, i'll try usb first...thanks Toby

Now everyone is free to answer Dirge's question!!! lol

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 31st, 2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks Toby!

BTW What are the powerball numbers going to be?

hehehe figured he knew all of the other answers... lol

LA_MERC_Diesel
October 31st, 2003, 10:16 AM
I have had that problem Dirge, my sorry a$$ fix is to hit escape, then return to game, the same fix that now works when you alt tab to another program, then come back and get the arrow on your crosshair.

http://www.lamerc.com/vbulletin/text2schild.php?text=I |2 1337....NOT!&typ=9&col=0,0,255&shcol=255,255,255
:p:

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 31st, 2003, 10:25 AM
Just bring up console and removed it if you get the mouse pointer that shows up on your crosshair.. fixes it in a second

$pecto|2
October 31st, 2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
If you come across this issue, drop console and type
spec_menu 0

Just bring up console and removed it if you get the mouse pointer that shows up on your crosshair.. fixes it in a second

Toby is the man, period.

Also, what i would do plug mouse into usb, make sure u got usb drivers installed etc (2.0, or other) (my computer i had to cuase i built but u never know)

Also, it hsouldnt be "loose" in your ps2 plug.. check it make sure pens arnt bent, that happend to me 1 time, i had to get paper clicp to straightin it out.

all else fails, hopefuly u can get refund / exhange.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 31st, 2003, 04:18 PM
Yeah, def. flash the bios on that mobo - I have the same one and it fixes many, many problems.

LA_MERC_Sabre
October 31st, 2003, 05:48 PM
i would do that flash the bios thingy except i'm a boon and very nervous about doing something like that...i tried plugging into usb but mouse would not work...maybe i need a driver like you said spector??

so....any step by step instructions on flashing bios would be helpful!!

thanks guys

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 31st, 2003, 06:07 PM
First find out which version mobo that you have. When you turn your computer on and it does the ram check (counts the amount of ram u have) there is a long code at the bottom of the screen. Hit the pause button on your keyboard and write it down and also write down whats listed at the top then post it back here.

After you find out which version you have, you can then download the proper bios update.

This link should tell you exactly how to perform a bios flash update for your AMI bios

http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/flash_ami.htm

$pecto|2
October 31st, 2003, 06:41 PM
i would just right click "my computer" and then check your hardware to make srue u have no conflicts.

Do u ahve xp? cuase if u do it sholud detect ur usb mouse when u plug in. If u got 98 i dunno nothin about :P.

To flash ur mobo, u just gotta move a little metal tab thing from 1 connector to the ohter (lol). I cant explai it. Especial if u didnt build ur comp and dont have instructions for the mobo u got :(

U could just get a diff mouse :)

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 31st, 2003, 07:04 PM
Spector, are you refering to clearing the cmos? That would require shorting out jp1 and jp2 which can be done by unpluging your computer's power supply then move the already placed jumper over jp2 and jp3 to jp1 and jp2.

You can do that after you flash a bios but its not always necessary anymore since most bios flashes do it for you after the flash has been completed.

$pecto|2
October 31st, 2003, 08:14 PM
Spector, are you refering to clearing the cmos? That would require shorting out jp1 and jp2 which can be done by unpluging your computer's power supply then move the already placed jumper over jp2 and jp3 to jp1 and jp2.

You can do that after you flash a bios but its not always necessary anymore since most bios flashes do it for you after the flash has been completed.

yeh thats it, oh yeh cleary cmos and flashin bios, my mix up :P, stil not 100% sure what diff would be, just flash cmos to cleary boot up paswords :P

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==