PDA

View Full Version : Phantom...Need your input

LA_MERC_CS Widow
October 27th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Hey Drewsy ~

Here's the run down:

Compaq Visario 3077WM Laptop (running Windows XP)
Custom built tower w/ usb and other ports (running Windows XP)
HP PSC2210 All In One Printer (currently hooked up to tower)

Laptop is stationed in a nearby room and needs to be hooked up to the printer in addition to the other computer. What exactly do I need?

Info much appreciated neighbor!
Robyn

$pecto|2
October 27th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Either
A. Basic HUB (4 ports are cheap) with 2 Cat5 cables, 1 long to go from hub to laptop, the 2nd short from hub to tower. Then run the "network wizard" on both, and make em on same workgroup. Share the printer on tower, so laptop can see it (you will need to install drivers for printer on laptop too).

B. Get long crossover cable, run it from laptop to Tower. run wizards, same workgroup, share printer on tower, install driver on laptop.

Example A. here (s88043750.onlinehome.us./hub.jpg)

Example B. here (s88043750.onlinehome.us./cross.jpg)

Tracker
October 28th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Nice man but I just shared my printer and it works fine . The laptop is wireless and it was easier than I thought...

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 28th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Yeah,

For once, Tracker is right. Go wireless (and yes, I realize I'm not Phantom!). If you install a wireless card in your laptop and a WAP (wireless access point) next to your computer, you'll be able to share files, printers, and the internet (assuming you have a broadband connection...which, I believe, you do). All you need to make sure is that you have a network card (a phone connection on steroids) on the back of your desktop computer...and you should be ok.

The desktop will connect to the WAP at the LAN port, the Internet will connect at the WAN port...and your laptop will connect via wireless.

Just my $.02

LaTech

CajunTech
October 28th, 2003, 06:36 AM
I'd go LA Tech's route. I've been using a Linksys wireless G router for about a year now without any problems.

LA_MERC_CS Widow
October 28th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the responses! I actually posted this for a good buddy of mine...Tracker! I was going to call a computer store to ask what he needed (he's too damn busy for his own good) but realized I had much better resources here. Duh! Thanks again. Seems Snakebite beat us all to it and helped him set it up.

Robyn

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==