PDA

View Full Version : amd or P4

Brandon
October 16th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Going to upgrade.. what should be the better buy , i hear that amd owns for gfaming but some say the p4 is better and clue any help guys? RajinKajin

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 16th, 2003, 05:33 PM
It's like coke or pepsi, pizza hut or dominoes, jack daniels or jim beam, martin or taylor, gibson or fender...

They are both good, have differnet strengths and weaknesses, and are both very good, and very fast...

check out some of the articles at http://www.tomshardware.com or http://www.anandtech.com/

Those are both good places to read up on chips and dip.

Omega_Prime
October 16th, 2003, 05:45 PM
ive used both and i have to say i like my p4 3.0 better than any chip i used with amd. now im not dissing amd my any means they have a great chip and if your looking to save money go with them. with my new p4 ive noticed it doesnt run as hot and my system has not once locked up like my past two amd rigs did.... though they were very rare and most likely caused by heat issues...and i had plenty of cooling on those two rigs. bottom line is both are great and youll save a ton with amd.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
October 16th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Buying an AMD mobo/CPU today as a matter of fact. Its just for a LAN box so it ain't cutting edge but it's the right price...$59 for the combo...w00t!!!

Scott

$pecto|2
October 16th, 2003, 05:53 PM
similar to what max said, they both can "get the job done".

If money isnt a issue, then gettin the most expensive (or proably best) then either top one amd or p4 will be able to do whatever u want and problely then some. ive gone from celeron 600hz to 2.4cp4 oc'd too 3.34 (approx). It was everyting i expected and more.

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 16th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Personally, I would wait for a couple months. See how the Athlon64's do and see what Intel comes out with...then decide from there. If you HAVE to decide now...like CfH said, AMD is MUCH easier on the pocketbook.

Redneck
October 16th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Intel has already announced the release of the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition. What the P4EE is gonna have over the Athlon 64 FX I dunno, but I do know that AMD prices are gonna come down again. Just go to www.pricewatch.com and see were the price break is on P4's and Athlons, then check somewhere like www.newegg.com to see what they have. I buy most of my stuff from newegg and they are really good about getting shipments out fast. Go for bang for the buck. No reason to break the bank on a top of the line processor, its gonna be out of date as soon as you put it in your machine anyway. If you wanna splurge, do it on Mobo, power supplies (good PS = quiet reliable system), and the biggest/baddest/fastest memory your CPU/MOBO combo can run. Also a mid size hard drive spinning 7200RPM with an 8mb cache will help your speed as well.

Zaknafein
October 16th, 2003, 10:39 PM
I agree with Spector, you should really give the 64 cpus a little time to drop the price of both p4 and amd. Yes p4 is going to be slightly faster although more expensive. But when a 2 ghz amd can hang with a 3 ghz intel you've got to wonder who has better architecture.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 17th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Exactly Zak!

Zaknafein
October 17th, 2003, 11:05 AM
But then ofcourse if i'm going to argue that way, then i have to say that macs and their motorolas cpus perform incredibly well compared to the other two. Just shows you what poor business management can do to a good product.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 17th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Oh yeah - I used to be a "Macie" - I have a Dual G4 1.4 GHz power mac on my network that will smoke any pentium twice it's speed...

Motorola CPU's rock...I've always wanted to get my hands on a PowerPC copy of Windows 2000 and make a leet hybrid box w/ a G4...

Brandon
October 17th, 2003, 11:24 PM
thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it alot! Makes me feel better knowing that i can say anything or ask anything in the merc forums and get a educated answer! Even though some of you get off topic sometimes
RajinKajin

pattont
October 19th, 2003, 08:45 PM
ummm.. i read that the p4e will be just like the p4, but it will have 2.5mb of L3 cache instead of just 512k... This is only found in like server level comps.. Intel has a comparable model out, i think that chip that is like the 3.0 or something is $3700.. There is no way that the P4E can be anywhere near that, but its supposed 2 be realeased really soon, and it will be the 3.2ghz. The other thing is the AMD 64 Fx-51, which is aimed and nubs like us who game and do other crap that takes up lots of clocks, will be released soon, i saw that it smoked any p4s out right now, like the fps on the same setup of a 3.2 had like half the FPS of a fx-51 at 2.2ghz.. It was incredible, the other thing they said about it was WAIT on the 64 because you have 2 have registered memory in that thing, and registered memory is mighty expensive, like 10-15% more than normal memory right now, and is slower. They said wait till around mid of next year if u wanna get a 64 bit comp, cause them windows xp pro 64 will be out, and also amd will release another 64 that doesn't require registered memory and by the.. PCI express will be out, and maybe even then.. video cards will be running on PCI express, cause it will own AGP... If your going 2 get speed, get a faster HD as well, the Raptor Harddrives that are on SATA at 10k RPM own.. I have 2 of the 36gb drives, and they are FAST AS CRAP, yea they make like 15k drives out for SCSI, but i HATE scsi, kills your bootup time.. oh well..

The bottom line is, WAIT for the P4E.. Yes the 64 owns right now, but intel is WAY bigger than Athlon, im sure that the p4e will be worth checking out...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 19th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by pattont
ummm.. i read that the p4e will be just like the p4, but it will have 2.5mb of L3 cache instead of just 512k...

Actually the standard P4 has no L3 cache...it does have 512k L2 as does the P4EE, which adds the 2048KB (2MB) L3.

pattont
October 20th, 2003, 02:12 AM
oh.. yea.. i knew that.. why didn't i put that.. lol oh well.... thanks max..

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 20th, 2003, 04:50 AM
The P4E is just a Xeon chip with a new name...

$pecto|2
October 20th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_LaTech
The P4E is just a Xeon chip with a new name...

herm, thats a big negative.

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 20th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Prove it.

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 20th, 2003, 08:31 AM
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTI0

$pecto|2
October 20th, 2003, 09:29 AM
I win. :D

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 20th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Uuuh...huh? Read that page I posted man!

Lt.Dan
October 20th, 2003, 10:03 AM
NO no no, you need to get a cyrix chip, man those things are da bomb. I just happen to have one for you so send post your mailing address and ill give you mine as well. YOu will be the fasted one in like oh lets say Afganistan. :)

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 20th, 2003, 10:14 AM
HAHAH! Cyrix...better watch your temps man...get a SERIOUS heatsink and fan! ;)

$pecto|2
October 20th, 2003, 10:55 AM
i did latech, but that was a bad example, here is a better article , (imo) http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112513,00.asp

But yeh i guesss you were right, since it come straight from the horses mouth

Originally posted by Kevin Krewell, analyst and general manager at MicroDesign Resources
]"This is basically a Xeon MP processor, and that means it's going to be a pricey part,"

I subcaunciously(sp) wanted a reason to do a little research on the subject i guess.

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 20th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Cool...I knew I had read that somewhere (almost verbatim of what you posted) but couldn't find the origional article. I posted the other one because it was the best I could find at the time.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 20th, 2003, 04:56 PM
So is it going to be socket 604 like a Xeon or socket 478 like a P4???

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 20th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_LaTech
HAHAH! Cyrix...better watch your temps man...get a SERIOUS heatsink and fan! ;)

I have seen more than a few Cyrix chips turned into toast!!!

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 20th, 2003, 06:21 PM
I don't know what socket it's going to be, to be honest. And, I've seen my share of toasted Cyrix chips too...

$pecto|2
October 20th, 2003, 07:33 PM
its 478, the screeny (wcpuid) in latechs article shows it.

Lt.Dan
October 20th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Ehhh, I was not even aware that Cyrix was still around? It was a joke I hope you know :) If you read my first post it says something about being the fastest computer in Afghanistan, you get it now, yes, no? :slap but on a lighter note, if you have really seen them turn into toast than have we got a hot item to sell man. Can u imagine, its 2 a.m you've been up all night downloading vivid por......uhhh... I mean Phil Collins greatest hits, when all of a sudden, u realize your hungry. What no food, not to worry, your processor with the flip of a jumper becomes instant eatable toast, weeeeeeeee, we can make millions of pesos I tell you.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==