PDA

View Full Version : so freakin slow!!!!

LA_MERC_Sabre
October 13th, 2003, 08:10 AM
ok peeps....my pc has been acting up for about 2-3 weeks and seems to be getting worse. Mainly just really really slow especially on start-up. Sometimes taking 3-4 minutes (minimum) to start up windows. I'm not really sure what "defragging" does, but since i've never done this in 1.5 yrs, i tried it the other night but nothing changed...possibly got worse. I thought that maybe steam had something to do with it, but i'm pretty sure this was happening b4 steam. another thing is that my pings went from 40-60 to consistently above 100 but i'm not sure if that's a problem on my end.

info..
Windows XP
GF2 64meg
512ddr ram
ecs k7s5a mobo
amd 1.4 t-bird
40gig 7200rpm h/d (maxtor i think)

any thoughts or suggestions??????????

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 13th, 2003, 08:45 AM
kk
get Norton Systemworks
--run One Button Checkup
--run Norton Windoctor
--run Norton Speedisk

search for and download Microsoft's bootvis.exe
This file runs a diagnostic on your system and optimized your startup and shutdown for Windows, greatly improving performance ans speed.

Enjoy!

LA_MERC_Sabre
October 13th, 2003, 08:50 AM
ty, i will try dat!

LA_MERC_Onji
October 13th, 2003, 09:04 AM
in addition to dirge's suggestions do this:

start--->run--->type in: msconfig (click ok)

goto the startup tab and uncheck everthing except system tray

click ok

reboot

LA_MERC_Sabre
October 13th, 2003, 09:10 AM
thanks for the help guys, i'll try the above after work.....does Norton System Works come with Norton antivirus?

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 13th, 2003, 09:21 AM
yes

LA_MERC_Diesel
October 13th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Onji
in addition to dirge's suggestions do this:

start--->run--->type in: msconfig (click ok)

goto the startup tab and uncheck everthing except system tray

click ok

reboot

I have always wondered what I could and couldnot turn off in that, is that the only file that has to stay, Onji?

LA_MERC_Sabre
October 13th, 2003, 09:25 AM
me too, i think i have at least 20 start-up items but wasn't sure if i needed them or not.

LA_MERC_Maverick
October 13th, 2003, 09:54 AM
yes the only thing you need to leave in your startup tab is system tray...that gives you the stuff in the lower right hand corner of your task bar. IF your virus scan loads on startup you might want to leave that as well, but this is purely a preference, not a requirment. I also leave some other stuff like cthelper, updreg, ctfmon, and steam in there, but thats it.

LA_MERC_Onji
October 13th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Maverick is correct, if you see your antivirus software in there, i would leave it checked, all i have checked to start up is

-System tray
-my antivirus software

I start all of my other apps manually as i need them, icq, steam etc...

And if you see 20 items in your startup, no wonder your slow!! uncheck that stuff! hehe It'll be like you have a new pc hehe

}{y|3ri|)
October 13th, 2003, 11:10 AM
i tried and it said i cant find msconfig or files are missing...

LA_MERC_Onji
October 13th, 2003, 11:14 AM
what OS do you run hybrid

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==