PDA

View Full Version : ATI Radeon 9500 pro vs NVidia GeForce FX 5900

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 5th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Hey,

Does anyone have either one of these cards? I am considering buying a new video card and have ALWAYS been a NVidia supporter (well, after 3dFx went under, anyway). However, I have heard that the Radeon 9500 can be "unlocked" to perform as a 9700, and that the graphics produced therein are MUCH better than anything NVidia has been able to put forth yet.

So, what are your thoughts. Convince me either way...I will have some money to spend by the end of the month, and want a new card that will rock when HL2 comes out.

LaTech

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
August 5th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Im an Nvidia guy too but Ive read alot of performance tests on the 9500 (and up) cards vs the FX series cards. Radeon benches higher in EVERY test. Same with frame rates and antialiasing...especially at really high screen resolutions. The diffrences are minor though. Most of it isn't even detectable if you were TRYING to see it. In game, you won't notice it at all. According to the article the big test will how they handle Doom3/HL2 at hi res. I don't know what res you play at but unless its something ungodly high, I wouldn't worry about it. The overall rating was something like 92% for Radeon and 90% for Nvidia. IMO, it's still whatever you personaly prefer. I don't really have a choice till I get a new comp. I have one of the only comps in the world that DOESN'T have an AGP slot so I'm stuck with Nvidia for now anyway.

Scott

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 5th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the input BB.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
August 19th, 2003, 10:31 PM
BB, that's why I built a new computer this spring, all because I didn't have an AGP slot. Stupid HP hax. Tech it seems like and 1024x768 both Nvidia and ATI are pretty close. Like BB says ATI is better at higher resolutions, and it's also better with antialiasing and that stuff. I used to be a strict Nvidia guy b/c basically every game that comes out is based on what Nvidia was putting in there next card. But on numerous sites I've found that the testers thought that the ATI cards just looked more realistic, and did a better job at antialiasing. So that throws a wrench in my plans to get a FX5600, I'm starting to lean towards a 9600Radeon. But that's mainly b/c I want to get a 21in monitor and it will support 1600x1200 pretty easily, so I can play games at that resolution also. I'm not sure what I'm gonna due yet, pay off some bills first then I'll (read: hopefully) get to buy both of those items, new video card and monitor.

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 20th, 2003, 05:02 AM
w00t.

Here's the deal: I will be getting a Radeon 9500 fairly soon that can be softmodded to the 9700 (without any burn-ups...hopefully!). My wife told me that if I didn't let my folks talk me out of getting the truck I wanted, she would buy it for me! Needless to say, there is a new truck parked in my driveway, and I will be ordering my card tonight. :)

LA_MERC_Onji
August 20th, 2003, 09:18 AM
i recently purchased a Gainward Geforce FX 5900 with 128mb of ram, and I'm very pleased with it. Here is a full review of the card I got with benchmarks. The ATI does better in SOME tests, but not ALL. Check it out:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDg5

[lag]DikDstrdly
August 22nd, 2003, 09:02 PM
Onji did you get the 5900 Ultra or just the 5900? There is laods difference between the two in case you were unaware.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==