PDA

View Full Version : Glitch in forums

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
July 12th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Jay, sometimes when I click on a heading that says it has new posts, when I get there there is no arrow for new posts and when I click back it will say 0 posts in 0 threads. Ive missed alot of posts like that lately. Any ideas why?

Scott

LA_MERC_MadMAX
July 12th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Same thing has been happening to me :(

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 12th, 2003, 03:48 PM
I've been complaining about this since the new ones went on line...

LA_MERC_Mercy
July 12th, 2003, 04:07 PM
yeah me too...

LA_MERC_RiverRat
July 12th, 2003, 04:10 PM
hrmm...weird...I havent noticed it but maybe between me and onji, we can figure it out...I need his help though cause I dont know which section of the admin stuff it would be in...

LA_MERC_Sniper
July 12th, 2003, 04:18 PM
IT SHAPPENED TO me also i thought it was becaus i am a nub though i expect that kinda stuff to happen to me

LA_MERC_RiverRat
July 12th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Darren - get with me on this...it seems as though this is happening to everyone except me...LOL...we gotsta fix it...unless you want them nubs to suffer...LMFAO

LA_MERC_Maverick
July 12th, 2003, 05:26 PM
LOL, i dont know about them nubs, but it hasnt happened to me either...hehehe

Tracker
July 12th, 2003, 06:13 PM
i have also

LA_MERC_MadMAX
July 12th, 2003, 06:19 PM
What browsers are everyone using? I didn't really notice it happening that much in IE on Windows, but in Mozilla on Windows it's happened and it happens almost EVERY TIME in Konqueror in Linux, which is what I'm doing most of my browsing w/ these days...

Just a thought that it may be a browser kinda thing...

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 12th, 2003, 07:07 PM
I run Ie and it happens to me so much I don't click on it anymore, I right click to open in a new window so I can still see what was new when it tells me there are none...

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
July 12th, 2003, 07:09 PM
IE

Scott

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 12th, 2003, 07:09 PM
IE, and it happens. The only way arround it is to bookmark the forums page and not the home page...

LA_MERC_RiverRat
July 12th, 2003, 07:24 PM
I use IE, Opera, Netscape, and Mozilla and I havent had it happen to me yet :(

I am sooooooo lost

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 12th, 2003, 08:31 PM
When it happens to me, I normally assume their are admin formums that
I cant see, its how you can tell their is a hot topic in the Admins.
:)

LA_MERC_Onji
July 12th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Jay, It appears to happen because of the login on the front page. When you visit it, it sets a cookie. And when they goto the forums, the cookie expires and marks all threads to read. So we may have to remove the login thing from the front page :(

LA_MERC_RiverRat
July 12th, 2003, 08:43 PM
DAMNIT! ok - if thats the case, guys what can we put in its place???

it works just fine for me :(

LA_MERC_Onji
July 12th, 2003, 08:55 PM
me 2

LA_MERC_RiverRat
July 12th, 2003, 09:11 PM
i say we chalk it up to operator/user error...LOL

LA_MERC_MadMAX
July 13th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Well, yesterday, I was in Linux about all day playing w/ America's Army, and everytime I hit the forums with Konqueror it would do the no search results thing - Well, I'm now booted into windows, w/ IE, and it works fine - so it's no biggie to me.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
July 13th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Can't you just increase the expire time on the cookie?

LA_MERC_RiverRat
July 13th, 2003, 01:39 PM
there are no cookies except what is built into vbulletin which I didnt change for the new site...I am learning cookies right now, but I havent used them yet

the expire time "0" that you see when you view source is not for cookie expiration; it is for browser cache control and can either be 0 or a specific date like "Sunday, July 13, 2003" - the problem with putting dates is that if you try to go to the site after that expire date, it wont work because when the headers are passed to Apache, the web server will see that the page is old

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
July 13th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Just trying to think why the script on the main page would generate a cookie that would then be deleted once you went to the actual forums page. They should both be able to use the same cookie. When you generate the cookie on the main page then switch to the forum page, it should see that you already generated a cookie and use that same one unless its not passing on all of the forum information or if there is a difference in information. Maybe just a simple modification of the script would fix the problem.

LA_MERC_Onji
July 13th, 2003, 02:14 PM
i already increased the time to 30 mins

LA_MERC_RiverRat
July 13th, 2003, 02:55 PM
see if that helps everyone who is having problems....if that didnt help, let us know and we'll continue to try and track the problem down...

Daedelus
July 16th, 2003, 09:06 PM
no wi had a problem with this on the first day like everyone else and then the next day it seemed to be fixed i thought ohh ok its taken care of but k\now on the 7/ 16th and 17th it has done the same thing again auto no new mail when i open it. is there any way to get back those posts that i didnt see i feel real left out not knowing whats going on any help thank you.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
July 16th, 2003, 09:31 PM
since i've been back into windows and IE, I've noticed it less, EXCEPT when out of habit, I click the "forums" link in the top toolbar. If i do that, the search under "veiw new posts" comes back as "0".

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==