PDA

View Full Version : Defrag and Its Relation to CS (FOR CORONA lol)

-FA- ManiacalClown
July 11th, 2003, 01:42 AM
You see, after a while of adding and deleting files, they get all thrown apart all over the place (SEE: fragmented) on your hard drive, and your computer has to work harder to find everything that it needs. This makes the computer, and everything you run on it, sluggish. This includes Counter-Strike. If CS is running sluggish, it may not be communicating to the server like it should. Hence, bullets that you shoot that you know should be hitting, don't. And this happens round after round after round (and makes you break your headset).

Now if we put all those files together again (SEE: Defrag), suddenly the computer isn't running sluggish any more! CS communicates with the server like it should, and you're making all those leet headshots you know you should be.

Basically, a drive that's fragmented severely enough (100% of my non-system files were fragmented. ouch.) can create a situation best described as artificial lag where, even if you're a low-pinger like me, you might as well be hitting a steady 300 because that's how well you'll be communicating with the server.

And THAT is what defrag has to do with my aim.

Any questions? ;)

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
July 11th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Did you find that actually documented somewhere or did you make it up?

The reason I ask is because I have NEVER heard of this theory before.

Dirge, got those hip waders?

That is how the Halflife game engine works. The halflife engine uses "lag compensation", which compensates for high pings by calculating where everybody on the server was when the shooter fired their bullet/bullets. Without any lag compensation, people on a slower connection would have to fire slightly ahead of their target in order to hit them.

Now if your computer was running crappy (486 slow motion) then it could have been getting really low frame per second. Was this the case? Were you getting really low FPS? That would be the only thing that I would consider artifical lag.

Do you run netgraph? What was the fps/packet loss/choke? Did it change after the defrag?

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 11th, 2003, 06:17 AM
well I have experience with this. My 120 gb hd was about 37% fragged and i defragged it. Lo and behold it did not make my cs any different... Maybe you're overlooking the pyschological impact?

-FA- ManiacalClown
July 11th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Well, you have to consider that the machine I'm running isn't exactly state of the art anymore to begin with. 1 gig processor runs something like CS fine, but the TNT2 video card kills my framerate right from the start, but not to the point that it's unplayable (as long as I don't have any custom models d'oh). The whole defrag thing is just something that seems to work with my old bucket of bolts, and that's my theory as to why. It's the only thing that I can come up with as to why I can't hit a thing one day and then I'm back to my old self the next <i>without playing any differently</i>. It was really confounding me why shots that I KNEW should be hitting were just magically not. And in retrospect, it was like playing with 300 ping but trying to play like you're pinging 50.

The psychological connection is an interesting one, though.

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 11th, 2003, 01:23 PM
the cs code is the reason you can go from doing great one map to licking donkey extremities the next... Happoens to Diesel all the time :O

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 11th, 2003, 01:35 PM
:doh
h4xed

Captain
July 11th, 2003, 04:16 PM
I cant defrag my computer DoH said i didnt have enough free space LoL

cd
July 12th, 2003, 12:36 AM
De...frag? I should do that instead of reformat eh?

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==