PDA

View Full Version : LMAO @ Studies

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 9th, 2003, 12:42 PM
A study in the obvious

Modern 'research' requires little more than opening your eyes

Wednesday July 09, 2003

Angus Lind

I was reading a story the other day about a research study that basically concluded that some people are born shyer than others.

I find this absolutely amazing. Do you suppose that some people are also born more aggressive than others, funnier than others, sassier than others, taller than others, shorter than others, fatter than others, balder than others?

Studies can be so revealing. A research study I recall reading about examined some 55 grown women over a five-year period. It found that 71 percent of them changed their minds on a wide-ranging variety of topics and subjects. Who would have ever thought that? That is absolutely mind-boggling. I had no idea women would change their minds.

That's what makes research studies so important. Without them, we wouldn't know anything about ourselves.

A research study showed that if someone has had two alcoholic drinks in a one-hour period, the chances increase dramatically that a person in a relationship will say something he or she might later regret. That is a stunning revelation: Booze loosens up your tongue? I would never have guessed that in a million years. Let's hear it for research studies.

A recent study in Australia, after "intensive research," revealed that politicians lie. I simply refuse to believe this. It cannot be. Say it ain't so, mate. The politicians that I help elect after carefully scrutinizing every word they utter during a campaign would dare utter falsehoods? I am dead certain that no politician is guilty of this in Louisiana. It has to be an Australian thing.

Speaking of lying, there was a study I read some years back that showed that almost two-thirds of the women questioned admitted that someone had lied to get them to have sex. The most commonly used lie involved those three little words that can get you into a heap of trouble: I love you.

Another study revealed that in households with a television remote control, males control it 56 percent of the time and females only 34 percent. Gee -- another totally unexpected finding. A good question might be: Who controls it the other 10 percent of the time?

Last time I checked, even this mathematically challenged person could figure out that 56 and 34 equals 90. Don't even think about saying it's the kids who rule the remote the other 10 percent of the time. No way would they be watching TV with mom and pop. They've probably got their own sets and their own remotes, checking out shows their parents don't want them to watch.

That's just an opinion, of course, not a study.

But without studies, what other vehicle would we have to reveal the obvious?

A study revealed that a steady diet of cheeseburgers, fries and soft drinks is not conducive for teen-agers to maintain their weight. Or to live a long, healthy life without developing heart problems later on. Now without a study, who would have thought that a steady diet of fat, cholesterol, sugar and sodium would be harmful?

One more time -- let's hear it for studies.

But back to the Aussies, who appear to be on the cutting edge of research studies. I read a report that said that Australian researchers have concluded that the combination of meat and cheese can be addictive. These two food groups, if I'm interpreting this correctly, release drug-like compounds that cause the consumer to become addicted.

Cheeseburger in paradise is now cheeseburger addiction?

Research aside, could it possibly be something really simple? Like that maybe cheeseburgers are a lot of folks' favorite food, so they eat a lot of them -- more than any other food they consume? How about a study on that? Can we get funding?

A study revealed that men can tolerate silence much more than women. Wow! There's a shocker. Another one says a woman's typical phone call is 2.5 times longer than a man's typical phone call. Remarkable, simply remarkable. I would have thought that the woman's phone call figure would be more like 10.5 -- just based on personal experience, of course.

How about a study that, for once, tackles a topic of genuine importance? Personally, I'm looking forward to some conclusive research on a very important matter:

Why don't women put the toilet seat back up when they're finished?

MadOne
July 9th, 2003, 03:32 PM

LOL...awesome..

But on a more serious side, Why dont they???

Rooster
July 17th, 2003, 04:30 PM
I ask that question when I am with a group of women (I'm a nurse so it's not too difficult). It's the "cake and eat it too" syndrome.

I like it when I make them open their own doors and then they look at me and say "Didn't your mama teach you to open doors for women?" I reply, "I'm that New Age man, I think we are all equal and you can open it for yourself." :) 'Course you know what they think of that.

I say more men should make them do all their stuff for themselves (move stuff, pick up heavy stuff, kill bugs and the like, open their own doors, pay for everything) and then maybe they'll appreciate what it is that we do for them.

Just try it for one day and see how much resentment you get from the female species.

Course when you find one that is appreciative, hold on to her for dear life. I did.

LA_MERC_Yankee
July 17th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Awww. Isn't that sweet. :)

Rooster
July 19th, 2003, 07:11 AM
kiss it ya hairy ape!!!!!

NoXiOuS
July 19th, 2003, 07:43 PM
ohhh hooo.
::best cartman voice::

weehhh hoooo!:sad

LA_MERC_CS Widow
July 26th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Dirge

...Because the baby keeps playing in the pretty yellow water you forget to flush!

:grenade :doh

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
July 26th, 2003, 10:59 PM
:owned Only thing is, Dirge is the one playing in the water.

Scott:p:

Apocalypse
July 27th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Rooster
I like it when I make them open their own doors and then they look at me and say "Didn't your mama teach you to open doors for women?" I reply, "I'm that New Age man, I think we are all equal and you can open it for yourself."

LOL...Good one Rooster

LA_MERC_MadMAX
July 27th, 2003, 12:37 AM
pretty good dirgie boy.

LA_MERC_CS Widow
July 27th, 2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Dirge
I would have thought that the woman's phone call figure would be more like 10.5...

Any studies available on internet posts?

(Dirge - 3,809 / Big Brother - 5,807...)
:e2

Hehehe

Tracker
July 28th, 2003, 11:16 PM
LOL...I think you b00ns were just owned. But I agree I think it is time for women to do things for themselfs....LOL..And I hate to put the seat back up everytime it sucks.....man I almost pee myself taking time to life the seat...hehehe

LA_MERC_MadMAX
July 29th, 2003, 06:09 AM
If you can't lift the seat in time,
It's okay to sprinkle when you tinkle, just be neat and wipe the seat! :-P

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 29th, 2003, 06:38 AM
hmmm Missed the new posts on this (no negative comments, must be strong). Anyway, please note that the article was written by Angus Lind of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. Please do not shoot the messenger, this is not ancient Persia. kk thanks. ;)

SweetGirL
August 21st, 2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Tracker
LOL... But I agree I think it is time for women to do things for themselfs....LOL..

Oh no, you didn't!! I can't believe you even went there!!

I put myself through college, a man did not. I carried the baby in my, once flat, tummy for 9 god-awful months; not my man. I gave birth to that 10 pound 4 ounce (ugh!) baby through a horrible c-section that required 25 staples to close up; my man did not. I was left to endure the pain of it all for weeks and months aftward, not the man, and let's not talk about the 12 months I breastfed lol. I earn money every month; my dinners are timely, and the bills get paid. I exercise and keep my looks up..hey, what more could ya want? :P How about a chick that plays CS with you every night? hmmm?? *giggles*

Well, after saying all this, I need a treat. I think the next time I plan to "do something for myself", it will involve taking Corp's credit card to do some shopping. Now THAT'S doing something for myself. *giggles*

~shoots Dirge anyway - messengers are accomplices and accessories~ lol
~whacks Tracker for even thinkin' this way...tsk tsk~ haha:twak

~SweetGirL~

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
August 21st, 2003, 11:49 AM
lmao....y'all got regulated.

Scott:laugh:

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 21st, 2003, 11:53 AM
Hey now, I never dissed you. harumph. Shoot me indeed... :(

LA_MERC_Diesel
August 21st, 2003, 11:55 AM