PDA

View Full Version : Heck yeah...

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 4th, 2003, 06:44 AM
SAPULPA, Okla. - A convicted rapist has been sentenced to life in prison for spitting on a police officer.

Creek County Associate District Judge April Sellers White followed the recommendation of a jury for the maximum sentence against John C. Marquez under a law that makes it a felony to place bodily fluids on law enforcement officers.

White rejected a prosecution request for a 25-year prison term and a defense request for a four-year term.

Following sentencing Monday, Marquez's attorney, Jason Serner, promised an appeal to the state Court of Criminal Appeals. No appeal had been filed by Thursday.

Marquez, 35, was convicted of hurling body fluids on Sapulpa Officer Charles Gadd while Gadd was taking Marquez to jail following a domestic disturbance in which a woman's arm was broken.

The 1996 state law that makes it a felony to place bodily fluids on law enforcement officers was enacted amid concerns that deadly diseases, such as AIDS (news - web sites), could be transmitted this way.

Gadd told the jury that Marquez spit on him despite being warned and then bit him when Gadd was trying to prevent Marquez from spitting again.

Gadd and Marquez tested negative for any communicable diseases.

The jury took 15 minutes on May 14 to recommend the life sentence. Marquez's prior felony convictions, including rape and burglary, were taken into consideration in determining the sentence.

In addition to the life term, Marquez received one year in jail and a $3,000 fine for his conviction for domestic assault and a $500 fine for resisting a peace officer.

Telephone calls to the judge, the prosecuting attorney and the defense attorney were not returned Thursday.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
July 4th, 2003, 06:59 AM
wOOt!-Filty animals :awp:

LA_MERC_Spark
July 4th, 2003, 11:36 AM
ha ha...f00!

-FA- ManiacalClown
July 4th, 2003, 06:35 PM
#1: Guy shouldn't have been out of prison to begin with.

#2: That sentence violates the 8th Amendment.

cd
July 4th, 2003, 10:43 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with you there. While he should recieve some form of punishment. A life sentence for spitting on and then biting a police officer is a bit "excessive".

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
July 4th, 2003, 10:53 PM
I just figure that a law is a law. If you live in a state, make it your business to know the laws of that particular state and if you don't like them, MOVE.

Al Capone probabaly killed or had killed, thousands of thousands people.. amongst other crimes YET, he was put away for life for one simple case of Tax Evasion.

IMHO, that guy should have been back handed first off for the lack of respect for the people that help to keep our streets safe but then again, he would have probably turned around and sued the city for millions of dollars.

You can slip up only so many times before all of your past will catch up to all at the same time so don't do the crime if u can't do the time

Tracker
July 5th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Good for the f00, I hate people like that. We need more laws likke that..........

cd
July 5th, 2003, 01:50 PM
:(

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 6th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Well, this sentence will be used by the ACLU, you can believe that. The law violates a few civil liberties. In fact, the actual transmission of disease through saliva is virtually non-existent (still a mathematic chance though). I would curious to see the actual wording of the law and if it involves repeat offense and what not. If it doesn't then the crime does not justify the punishment.

-FA- ManiacalClown
July 7th, 2003, 01:31 AM
He needs to be put away for life for the rape. THAT is a justified sentence. Instead he'll rot in a cell for hocking a lugey?

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
July 7th, 2003, 08:50 AM
You guys completely overlooked the fact that he only got a year for a DV in which he broke someones (I'm assuming a womans) arm. Domestic Violence is STILL under reported and often not treated as the serrious crime that it is. More officers get hurt on domestic violence calls then ANY OTHER TYPE OF CALL. With his criminal history he deserved what he got...it was just bizzaro world justice.

Scott

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
July 7th, 2003, 08:58 AM
BTW, how is it a an 8th Amendment violation? The 8th Amendment adressess excessive fines and bail. NOT excessive prison terms. I know it says cruel or unussual punishment as well but how is a life sentence for a thrice convicted felon cruel or unussual? In California we have a three strikes law that basicaly says if you are convicted a 2 violent felonies, upon the conviction of a thrid felony...ANY FELONY...the sentence is 25-life. It has withstood appeals and has been deamed Constitutional.

Scott

-FA- ManiacalClown
July 7th, 2003, 02:28 PM
The article makes it seem like the only thing brought into consideration was the spitting incident, which would make the punishment "unusual," but if it falls under a three strikes thing, it makes a lot more sense.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==