PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

Tracker
June 29th, 2003, 07:53 PM
I am going to buy a new LapTop,Please give me some Ideas, and sites to go to buy a goodone.I am looking for one something like this...
.....2.0 gig processor
.....512 megs or ram
.....17" screen or 19" if they make them
.....dvd/cd player CD RW
.....80 gig hard drive
.....microsoft internet explorer 5.0 or better
.....windows xp home
.....cable modem
.....speakers
.....good sound card
.....real player plugin
.....virus scanner
.....either net card 10/100
.....GOOD Video card, like the new G-force.
.....and a wireless internet adapter
If I have forgot anything PLEASE let me know...Thanks for all the help.....Tracker:blue: :blue:

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
June 29th, 2003, 08:12 PM
If you are looking for a laptop then I think you didn't forget anything but maybe added a little to much.. lol

Things you can scratch off of your list:
Cable modem
17" or 19" LCD.. the screen plays a big part in the value of a laptop
look for a 14" to 15"
Any and all Software.. why pay for it when you already have it.
80gig hard drive.. another make or break a laptop item plus I think that the 80 gigers have not come our but are about to
look for a 30 to 40 gig drive
All laptops have built in speakers
Wireless internet adaptor.. might as well purchase this separately when you purchase your wireless router or access point
All new laptops usually come with built in ethernet 10/100

Things you are left with
2 gig processor (amd or intel?)
512megs of ram
DVD/CD-RW combo drive
40 gig hard drive
15" LCD screen

Tracker
June 29th, 2003, 08:46 PM
w00t now can you tell me where to start to look for this at..:) I went here tell me what you think and if it is too much than fix what you can Toby.It is for school....

http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/home/home.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1666322050.1056940609@@@ @&BV_EngineID=ccddadcijlkjkfjcfngcfkmdfondfgg.0

I dont think it posted right But i went and built one see what you can do..

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 29th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Although AMD rox the Desktop market, I'd personally never buy a laptop w/ an AMD, Intel has much better mobile chips...just my $0.02.

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 29th, 2003, 09:50 PM
well my amd laptop has always run awesome (it's an AMD 800). My friend bought a laptop with the built-in wireless and it runs great for him. I would wait for a good sale... like the 4th of July or Labor Day and got to Best buy or their website and balance finances with availability...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 29th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Intel just has better power management features, i.e., they can be turned off to run full speed if you want, or you can scale the chip down to just fast enough for word processing if you're on a long ride w/ it.

I had a Compaq w/ a 1400 AMD for about 2 weeks and finally took it back...every other time I looked at my system properties, it was running at 750 mhz, and I had the dang thing set to always on, ect...never could keep it running full speed - ask maverick, he has one of the same laptops, i'd bought.

The new Centrino from intel is awesome, slower clock speeds than a
P4. but like AMD, get's more done per clock cycle...they have 1MB L2 cache, and I've heard nothing but good things about the performance.

Look into Dell's notebooks they are pretty sw33T! I'm gonna be looking for a notebook in about 6 months or so, and will prolly be getting a dell, with a UXGA ultrasharp display...and a decent vid card for lanning...w00t.

Tracker
June 30th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys I am going to buy the new laptop with my school loan..so I will have around 2500 to spend on it,also I have about two months before I can buy it :). I am just getting a early start.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==