PDA

View Full Version : Laptop problem

LA_MERC_Sabre
June 26th, 2003, 12:10 PM
This is an email i got from a co-worker:

TProblem: Laptop BIOS recognized HD but computer says invalid system disk, can't install windows.

I have two old laptops (DELL Latitude LM - 133mHz, Winbook FX - 166mHz) and I'm trying to install a Hitachi DK series hard drive (6.4 gig) into either laptop. The HD originally came from the 133mHz machine with a working WIN OS, but I wanted to move it to the 166mHz machine. I moved the HD to the 166mHz machine and that is when my problems started.

Both laptop BIOS's recognize the HD but I can't install Win98. Both laptops are configured such that you can only have the CD-ROM drive hooked up or the floppy drive. To complicate issues I don't have a working floppy drive for either one. Before the floppy drive the 166mHz machine died I could boot from a floppy and fdisk the HD with one primary DOS partition and formatted it. The HD is ready to go.

Now when I try to put the HD in either machine I get the message "invalid system disk..." I tried setting the boot sequence in the BIOS of the 166mHz for C: only, A: then C:, C: then A:, and CD-ROM but nothing works, I still get the same message. No luck installing Win98 from CD.

My next step will be is take the HD and install it in a newer laptop (Toshiba Satellite - 1GHz) or desktop and install the OS there but turn off the machine before it can detect hardware. Then of course move the HD back to either of the old laptops and cross my fingers.

WHAT SHOULD I TRY NEXT?

can anyone help him out?

Cypher
June 26th, 2003, 04:24 PM
"Invalid system disk" usually means it's formatted, but not as a system disk with an OS. You'll have to boot from a floppy or CDROM to format the HD. I don't think the Win98 CD can do this (can't remember).

You COULD try booting from a Win2K/XP CD, go through the format step (make sure you choose FAT32, not NTFS!), then cancel before it starts installing 2K/XP.

Or, you could make a bootable CDROM from the Windows98 install floppy -- Several CD burning programs will let you create a bootable CD straight from a floppy. If you can't get that to work, let me know and I'll e-mail you an image file that you can burn to CD (tell me what CD burning program you use).

Good luck.

Cypher
June 26th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Oh... you mentioned that you fdisked and formatted the HD with a floppy... either you didn't format it as a system partition (format /s), or you didn't set the partition as the active partition on the drive.

LA_MERC_Sabre
June 30th, 2003, 08:07 AM
thanks man, i'll forward your post to him and let you know the outcome.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==