PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 23rd, 2003, 11:29 AM
Hey,

Yesterday I was playing on the server and was having fun (a new thing for me, yeah) when all of a sudden I got the console screen with a message saying "Unknown player" or something to that effect. Well...I was like, "Um...what happened here?" So, I rebooted my machine and decided to un-overclock my CPU (I was just messing around with it to see what it would do...watch out, a n00b overclocker). Everything ran fine after that (also got Black and White to run...it would lock up the whole machine after the intro...it works fine now).

So, that intro was for this question: Could overclocking my CPU (not officially endorsed by ANYONE) have caused the problems that I was seeing (locked up comp due to sound card crash, crash of CS, various other problems)?

I'm an idiot.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
June 23rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
Yes, it could very well cause all of those problems if you are not supplying the overclocked cpu with enough volts or if its getting to hot.

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 23rd, 2003, 11:38 AM
I have a great heatsink and fan on it, so I don't think it was overheating. I didn't think I would have to up the voltage, though, to overclock it. I just increased the FSB (I think...wish I knew more but I was just doing what I was told) from 133/33 to 135/34 etc etc etc. I would freak out no matter what I put it at (thus it being back to 133/33)

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==