PDA

View Full Version : handguns

LA_MERC_Spark
June 20th, 2003, 04:30 PM
So I'm looking 2 buy a handgun, and I'm not sure where 2 start..there are so many 2 choose from!!! Right now i'm looking at the Glock 36, Para-Ordinance 12.45 LDA(Light Double Action) Sig-Sauer P220, and the Para-Ordinance Para Companion.. Para-Ordinance also has the new Tac-Four, but it has a double stack clip and is kinda big..I'm looking for a good carry gun... any suggestions..BTW looking for .45 cal..

wookie
June 20th, 2003, 04:46 PM
get the glock

LA_MERC_Spark
June 20th, 2003, 04:53 PM
hmmmm..some peeps say its too light....what i need to do is shoot one to see for myself I guess..

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 20th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Spark, get with RP Sniper, BB or Sgt Jeff. I mean, they ARE cops...who better to ask about guns!

LA_MERC_Mercy
June 20th, 2003, 06:19 PM
i have shot both the glock and a colt and i really prefer the colt myself...military issue colt .45 is a sweet gun...plenty of stopping power but not a huge amount of recoil...my pistol of choice..

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 20th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Get a Deagle and be done w/ it...lol.

LA_MERC_Spark
June 20th, 2003, 07:03 PM
I've talked wit RP a little....we just need to find some time to really discuss the options.. I just wanted to see if anyone else had an idea, or any experience actually shooting the guns i mentioned..

LA_MERC_Mercy
June 20th, 2003, 08:12 PM
well i just dont like the way the glock feels...other than that, its a decent gun, when you get it new, it tends to catch after 2 or 3 shots the first few times that you shoot it...my bro-in-law is a city marshal for West Monroe, and they all carry glocks...its a tough gun but i just dont like the way it feels...cant put it any simpler than that..

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 21st, 2003, 08:22 AM
There's a newer company that does a high quality version of the Colt M1911A .45 that is out of sight and affordable. I'll try to remember the name. But don't get a Glock, get some bang for your buck. Go with the .45

bighead
June 21st, 2003, 08:25 AM
get a red rider bb gun. plenty of stopping power and alot cheaper :D

Beavis
June 21st, 2003, 08:34 AM
biggie should know, i asked him the same question. I went out and bought my bb gun, and to tell you the truth, I've never seen so much stopping power in my life.....lol

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
June 21st, 2003, 08:37 AM
You'll shoot your eye out!:)

LA_MERC_Spark
June 21st, 2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Dirge
But don't get a Glock, get some bang for your buck. Go with the .45

The Glock 36 is a .45 silly...so is the Glock 21 and 30

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 11:55 AM
The 36 is a small gun..the others like the the 220 are large frame. The Para-Ordinance, being a 1911, is a single action only. Alot depends on the the aplication you are using it for. Reliability, accuracy, and "cool factor" go to the 1911. You just have to train yourself to carry it "cocked and locked." Some people freak at the thought of a cocked gun on their hip and only about 5-7lbs of pressure seperating them from a very large hole in their leg. The 220 is an all around good good. I've never fired a Sig 220 but I've NEVER heard a bad word about them. What is your price range?? If you can come up with about $1100 then go with a Wilson Combat 1911. They start at around $1100 and go up to $3600. It is a true custom from the ground up 1911 pistol. http://www.wilsoncombat.com/

Lemme know if you need anything esle Sparky.

Scott

LA_MERC_Spark
June 21st, 2003, 12:38 PM
ahhh!!! when u look at numbers, I got about $1000... but the wife would be a little less than impressed....And yeah ur right about that Glock36 being small, but I was thinking that a smaller gun would be eaiser to carry...If in fact I do carry one at some point....most of the ones I looked at are compact models.. Oh yeah, the paras had options for both Double and Single action..they use their LDA or light double action tech... after reading about it I've come to the conclusion that the whole super special LDA tech is mostly marketing...Wilson Combat is saweet, but a little out of my range i think...I've browsed arround and looked at several differetnt companies..Beretta Cougar 8054, Styer M series, H&K USP, CZ 97B...the list goes on..... The gun is just for personal protection at this point, but there is always the highly unlikely chance that it will come in handy during my aviation career....

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 01:39 PM
ok....personal protection. H&K or Sig. Well, if you REALLY wanna impress your wife, I've got a gun to sell you for $300. S&W 6913 but its a 9mm.

It's a 12 round compact with night sights and 2 mags plus an ankle holster. Its not really practicle for ankle carry but the holsher would be good to just keep it in. Good gun and accurate (may need to have sights alligned). It's all black so it looks cool too. It's a sigle/double action and has a spurless hammer so it won't snag on your clothes if your are conceal carrying. Still have the orginal plastic case for it too. Has about 500 or so rounds through it. I know it's not what you wanted but I thought I'd throw it out there as an option.

Scott

LA_MERC_Spark
June 21st, 2003, 02:31 PM
hmmmmmmm....got pics??

LA_MERC_Spark
June 21st, 2003, 02:55 PM
BTW BB ... no Glock?...Just curious..seems that peeps either love them or hate them for different reasons....Since I have zero knowledge on the subject, I was just wondering what u like or dislike about the various guns i mentioned..The only thing I'm pretty sure about is not wanting a DB action only.. I think I would prefer a db action first round only...that smells like the p220, but then again I'm not real sure....

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 03:16 PM
MOST "duty guns are DB 1st round, single after that. The Glock being the exception in this case. The Glock has what they call "safe action." My first gun was a Glock 22 40 cal. I liked it...didn't love it. It shot ok but I was never really comfortable with it. The problem I see with the 36 is its wieght and size. A .45 makes a big boom and that little gun is gun gonna kick some. After firing 20 or 30 rounds you hands gonna be sore and it won't be fun anymore. I'll see it I can get some pics of it up for you this evening. They will be crappy cause of my camera but you'll be able to see it just fine.

Scott

LA_MERC_Spark
June 21st, 2003, 03:51 PM
kewl...not to prolong this thread but what do u think about the Glock 21 or 30....They are a little bigger than the 36, and they have double stack clips..they are a little heavier as well.. I had the same concerns about the 36 being little, but i hadn't found anyone that had an opinion.. The lack of my experience with handguns or guns in general makes me wonder if I should just start small and cheep untill i can form a better working knowledge of guns in general... Then maybe I can determine exactly what would be comfortable for me...

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 06:34 PM
Glocks are good guns. My personal problem with them is they are unconventional. It's just odd to not have an external hammer...or have a hammer at all. Glocks have a spring loaded firing pin as opposed to a hammer. They are also very boxy in thier design which makes them uncomfortable in a conceal carry aspect. Becasue of the composite frame, you can't change the grips either. The have after-market slip on grips which are basicaly bicycle innner tubes with finger grooves. I guess I'm knocking the Glock pretty hard without really trying. I don't think I'd buy another one but that's just me. They are very reliable guns though. I've seen "unoffical" tests where the Glock (Glock 19) fired 17,000+ (yes, seventeen thousand) rounds with out being cleaned (light oil on rails and moving parts only) without a major jam. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! Guns are like cars and women, have have to drive (or test) a bunch till you find what fits you best. I think you'll be happier with something more conventional though. Something as simple as grips can make a HUGE diffrence in how the gun feels in your hand. It also adds a "custom" look and feel without spending hundreds of dollars....I'll work on the pics later when I get back from Best Buy.

Scott

LA_MERC_Spark
June 21st, 2003, 07:14 PM
k00l man...thanks a lot for all the info bro..

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 09:47 PM
OK bro, here are the pictures. I took as many as I thought would be helpful since the quality kinda sux.

This is everything you get....

S&W 6913 9mm (in box)
2 12 round L/E magazines
padded ankle holster
black leather paddle holster

Scott

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 09:50 PM
ok...now I'll actually add the picture...duh.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 09:53 PM
Close up of the gun and the magaxines. Note the butt plate on the magazine points out and slightly down. It acts a groove to keep your hand from slipping off the handle of the gun. Remember, this is a compact model and alot of compact gun grips don't have sufficient room for your pinky finger. That's one of the features that sold me on this model.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 09:54 PM
Close up of the holsters...nuff said.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 09:56 PM
Tear down of the gun. Stainless steel barrel = no rust. Very simple to tear down and put back together. That's one problem with 1911's...lots of parts. That black thing sticking up out of the frame is the hammer...see, no spur. :)

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 09:58 PM
Hard to see, but it has Trijicon nightsites (three dot green). Also note the ambidextrous decocker.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 10:00 PM
Last pic....thats me holding the gun AND taking the picture so the angle is kinda screwy. You get the idea of how big it is though. When I get to work on Monday I'll scan the specs for the gun out of my gun ID book and post them for you.

LA_MERC_Spark
June 21st, 2003, 10:03 PM
saweet!! $300.......hmmmmmmm...need to think about it a while...I kinda wanted a .45.... thing is if i buy this one it'll be the only one for a while...it was hard enough to get the little lady to shell out for one handgun not to mention another... Thanks for ur help again BB and I'll letcha know in a couple...

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 10:36 PM
lol...np man. You need anymore help you let me know bro. Not that I'm trying to kill a sale but remember it's $300+shipping+registration. It will still be $$$ cheaper than a new gun but it will more than $300 total.

Scott

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 21st, 2003, 10:38 PM
ONe last thing....the holsters alone where just shy of $100. You can tell your wife the gun was only $200.....lol:laugh:

Scott

LA_MERC_Spark
June 21st, 2003, 11:18 PM
hehehe... gotch f00... I'll let ya know... there's a rumor that RP may take me out to da range this week...may be able to sh00t tha sig 220....woohoo!

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 22nd, 2003, 02:18 PM
Hey BB, can you sell/ship that to NY?

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 22nd, 2003, 02:58 PM
I'm gonna have to do some checking into the legalities of selling a firearm interstate. If it goes to LA I figure I can ship it to RPSNIPER, that way I know it's safe. I'll call the ATF this week and let you know though Korr.

Scott

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 24th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Korr....its looks like I can ship it to you. If Sparky doesn't want it do you wanna buy it???

Scott

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 24th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Do you have to report it, if you ship it to me. It's difficult to get a carry license in NYC, I can prob get a range permit from my friend that use to work in the gun shop.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 24th, 2003, 03:53 PM
If I sell it to you I have to get a bill of sale in order to get my name off the gun...kinda like a release of liability on a car. You will HAVE to register it or risk MAJOR legal probs. I dont know about range vs carry permits...that will be on you.

Scott

DTA
July 6th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Figure KOrruptED would want an AWP:d:

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
July 7th, 2003, 08:27 AM
LOL DTA, could you imagine someone walking down the streets of NYC with an AWP? :D :p:

[lag]Samson
July 15th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Nice Glock..:)I have a 40.C S&W Love, Love, Love my gun..:) Out of all the guns that I have owned in the past.. a 40/45 has been the best two handguns that I have owned, for the simple reason of, that for protection, you cant go wrong.. Granit, you shoot someone with a 9MM it can be fatal, but at the same time it doesnt always stop. (of course depending on the ammo..:P) with the 40/45.. leg,arm,chest,etc etc.. thereis over a 90% chance that they will stay were you put them, as far as it rendering them from just hoping up after the shot, (reguardless of ammo and Grain)
I love the Glock, there is no question of its durablity, hell throw it in a bucket of water for 5 days and it still comes out shooting, I also love how it has back recoil instead of upwards. This of course makes it not only easier to fire, but a better half (wife/Gf) can use it for her protection as well. (dont know if thats a good thing or bad..LOL)
I say for a 9MM go with a glock or sig... with a .40 or .45 go with a S&W or Ruger... The only thing about the ruger is that its a little heavy, and most or on the bulky side, but with saying that, you dont have much kick from it, not only because of the chamber system but the weight as well..:) As RD Mercer says," Just how big a boy are ya". LOL..

Cobweb
July 29th, 2003, 02:16 PM
I'd get the glock just so I could rap about it hehe...

Daedelus
July 29th, 2003, 02:32 PM
hey spark dont they got any ranges there that rent guns to use at there range you can get a good feel if you like something that way the ranges here bye my house has guns for you to try out Etc.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==