PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield Vietnam Announced

LA_MERC_Onji
June 18th, 2003, 01:55 PM
EA AND DIGITAL ILLUSIONS ANNOUNCE DEVELOPMENT OF BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., June 19, 2003 – Lock and load your M-16 and grab your flak jacket, it’s time to hit the jungle in Battlefield Vietnam™. Electronic Arts (Nasdaq: ERTS) announced today that Battlefield Vietnam for the PC is under development and expects to debut in early 2004. The title will be published and distributed by Electronic Arts under the EA GAMES™ brand.

The Battlefield franchise is entering a new era with more firepower and beautiful yet ferocious new combat settings. Staying true to the over-the-top, action-packed multiplayer style that gave Battlefield 1942™ its critical and commercial success, Battlefield Vietnam will drop players into some of the Vietnam War’s fiercest battles. Fighting in theatres from jungles surrounding the Ho Chi Minh Trail to the city streets of Hue, players will choose from two well-equipped forces, the United States or the North Vietnamese Army (NVA) and Vietcong.

Offering an arsenal of weapons and vehicles authentic to the Vietnam conflict, players will battle in first-person perspective. The workhorse vehicle for the U.S. during the conflict was the helicopter and it will serve the same purpose in Battlefield Vietnam. The NVA will be outfitted with many Russian-made vehicles including the T-54 tank and Mig-21 jet. Taking a step forward from its franchise predecessors, Battlefield Vietnam will allow passengers to fire from moving vehicles and players will have the ability to airlift other vehicles via helicopter. The game will also deploy new rendering and sound engines that will help take players deeper into the 1960’s mindset.

Battlefield Vietnam, like its brethren Battlefield games, allows players to join forces on teams in games up to 64 players over the Internet, or jump into single player action. Battlefield Vietnam is being developed by Digital Illusions Canada, a subsidiary of Sweden-based Digital Illusions.

Captain
June 18th, 2003, 02:03 PM
w00t!!!

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 18th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Vietnam is not a truly adaptable theater for this game. The majority of the combat was by infantry. Sure Hueys were used for combat drops and such, but heavy equipment was only used in primarily defensive postures. I have studied quite a bit on the Vietnam War and just don't see how they keep it nearly authentic or true to the fighting there. My concern is that it will become a mocklery to the brave troops that fought there.

LA_MERC_Diesel
June 18th, 2003, 03:12 PM
I think it will work as long as it's just choppers and air power.
It would definately make it the best Vietnam game.
they do a great job in 1942 of keeping the accuracy of the "who had what" advantage i.e market garden

[lag]DarkCuban
June 19th, 2003, 04:09 AM
This mod needs alot of work, not to mention that it isn't compatable with the new BF 1.4 patch. sux0rs

LA_MERC_Onji
June 19th, 2003, 06:55 AM
this is not EOD (eve of destruction) that is a player made mod, this was just announced by ea themselves and will be made by them to be released in early 2004, this will be an addon kind of like road to rome, secret weapons etc

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 19th, 2003, 07:28 AM
I wonder what the single player will be like? I mean, if you play as the Americans, you can't win the game...you just leave in the end.

LA_MERC_Diesel
June 19th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Like BF:1942, it will be a battle by battle scenerio.
and the USA won 90% of the major battles....make no mistake who won the war! The USA won the war, we just lost the political battle.
I have talked to numerous guys that were in Vietnam, that work here at BellSouth, they all say...."we stay...we win, we had finally turned the tied, and realized how they fought and our officers were making better decisions."
:soapbox

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 19th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Just about every battle in Vietnam was a tactical US victory. K:D ratio was unbelieveably high in favor of the US

Beavis
June 27th, 2003, 05:40 PM
w00t :bb

-FA- Kodachi
June 27th, 2003, 06:59 PM
yay more money out of my pocket for bf1942...
=\

cd
June 27th, 2003, 07:31 PM
aight... i give in... i will buy BF... I've ignored this game for so long... what do I need to run it(my computer sux0rs) also What all add-ons do I need? :-D

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==