PDA

View Full Version : Power Up

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 11th, 2003, 11:58 AM
I have a station here that when you turn it on it will just turn off after a few seconds. Help.:(

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 11th, 2003, 12:03 PM
crap now it powers on but nothing happens.

LA_MERC_Sabre
June 11th, 2003, 12:09 PM
i think you may have a problem with your power switch..lol...hehehe

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 11th, 2003, 12:16 PM
hahah! Could be MoBo, CPU, RAM or Power supply...don't know which without further info.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 11th, 2003, 12:19 PM
crap, got it to boot up to the xp pro screen then it shut down

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 11th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Hmm...that is strange.Did it just start doing this/is it a new machine? Did it storm in your area recently?

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 11th, 2003, 01:15 PM
it's about 1 yr old, it just happened today. Wish I had a quick fix for it, it's the President's puter

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 11th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Check the fan on the cpu.
Swap out the power supply and see what that does.
Check the motherboard for bubbled capacitors (ESPECIALLY if it's an ABIT board).

Lemme know.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 11th, 2003, 01:59 PM
K i cleaned the fans, got it to the logon screen , but couldn't use the keyboard ctrlaltdel.
I tried it again, tried to get into safe mode but then it blacked out witht he power still on.
It's an ASUS board

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 11th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Could also be your video card, I guess. Is in an onboard video?

Does anyone else have any ideas?

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 11th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Don't think it's vid card maybe power supply.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
June 11th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Go into your bios settings and post the temps that it shows for the cpu .. Could be that the power supply is just going out or that its running to hot. Maybe the processor fan went out

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 11th, 2003, 02:36 PM
can't get into bios. Initially i felt a lot of hot air coming out when the pc was cold, then I aired the fans, the air was cool.
I think it's the power because it would shut off at different areas of power up, i'll try swapping it tomorrow. Thanx for the help guyz.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
June 11th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Well, if the processor fan went out then it could shut off at different areas also. Just open it and turn it on and make sure all the fans are running. Also, just grab another psu and plug it straight into the motherboard without actually taking the other one out and installing it. This way you can tell if its the psu without taking about 30 minutes out of your time to remove the current one and screw the new one in.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 11th, 2003, 02:45 PM
OK i'll try that, thanx.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
June 11th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Hey man, That is exactly what mine was doing to me. Replaced fan, also re-set processor and video card and that did the trick. Worth a try I guess. Hope you get it fixed:)

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 12th, 2003, 09:06 AM
OK all the fans were operational. I opened the case up, reset the vid card, blew some air. I didn't have another psu so i didn't touch anything with power. Now the thing has no power. ARRGH

SnAkEbItE
June 12th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Ok dude it's one of two things, either the system board or the psu. I would get a psu they are a little cheaper and try that.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 12th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Well the current psu has a backup 12v that goes into the mb, i only have an old 230v, can i use it to test?

SnAkEbItE
June 12th, 2003, 10:42 AM
neg!!

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 12th, 2003, 10:59 AM
So do u think it's the psu, or could it just be the power switch.

SnAkEbItE
June 12th, 2003, 11:20 AM
well is there anything on the system board to indicate power? Some of them have a "Heart Beat" which shows power. If you don't have anyway to verify power then it's really a crap shoot.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 12th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Well there is an LED on the mb.
I went to buy another psu at lunchtime, i'll c if this is the answer.
Thanx for the help.

SnAkEbItE
June 12th, 2003, 01:06 PM
good luck

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 12th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks, but it didn't work. CRAP!!!!

SnAkEbItE
June 12th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Well then I would be looking at the MB then I had a abit that quit powering on and had to send it in for warnty repair not to long ago got it back and it fried on me due to my power supply going out and takeing it with it.

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 12th, 2003, 09:52 PM
ABIT = ka boom

I had similar probs and it was PSU spiking and frying mobo and processor

Thanks ANdy! lol

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 13th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Well it's an ASUS board, crap 2nd puter here fried up.
Could it be the power switch as Canuck said?

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 13th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Um...doubtful, but this is something you can try. Disconnect the powerswitch from the motherboard. Usually it's a 2 wire connector that connects in the bottom left hand corner of the MoBo. Now, take a small screwdriver or something and "short" the jumpers for the power switch. This will act like a switch, and will let you know if the switch itself is bad. If it boots fine, you may hav ea bad switch. If it still freaks out or won't boot...could be something wrong with the board.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 13th, 2003, 09:41 AM
crap, didn't work.

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 13th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Ok, then you're probably looking at a bad board. Still could also be a cooked chip...but, one thing at a time.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 13th, 2003, 11:01 AM
aargh, well thanx for y'alls help. :(

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 14th, 2003, 06:09 PM
You were right it was a fried board and psu.
But now it won't get to the xp screen. Should I just run the xp cd for boot up and try to repair it, or should i re-install.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
June 14th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Korrupted.. Did this version of XP have XP Service Pack 1 installed on it? If it did not and the computer thinks you changed any major key components or up to 4 device components then it will NOT boot up. If you were running XP Service Pack 1 then tell us how far does it actually get? Does it stop immediately after searching for boot sector on floppy? After the bios displays IRQ settings?

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 14th, 2003, 06:55 PM
no it didn't have the service pack installed, i understand that if major components are changed it will not boot, but how do i get it to boot. can i repair it or do i need to reinstall

LA_MERC_Maverick
June 14th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Unfortunately youre going to have to reformat. I had the same prob when i changed out my mobo and i got the xp blue screen of death when i booted up, only way i could fix it was to reformat.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
June 14th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Go into your bios settings and set the boot order so that the cd rom is before your hard drive

Boot from the cd and perform a repair install by following the step by step below.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 16th, 2003, 08:20 AM
OK i started the repair, but it's asking me for an administrator password. I tried some, but it isn't letting me in.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 16th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Ah like the b00n that I am I didn't read ur instructions clearly, i went through the recovery console instead of the setup.
Thanx for the help all you guyz :D

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
June 16th, 2003, 08:56 AM
K0rruptED, did that fix it for you? If so, you're very welcome for the assistance.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 16th, 2003, 09:25 AM
ah forgot about it, left it running, it's still installing :P

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 16th, 2003, 09:59 AM
crap it froze when i tried to connect it to a group and it asked me to enter the user name and pw. If I don't connect it to the group will it revert back to the old group after the repair is completed?

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
June 16th, 2003, 10:39 AM
w00t got it up and running, thanx for y'alls help!!! :D

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==