PDA

View Full Version : Maybe there's hope yet?

LA_MERC_Dirge
May 21st, 2003, 11:07 AM
You may have heard this on the news (well Foxnews, not CNN or Network). It's a great instance (IMHO) of students putting a stop to unabashed politicization in improper settings.

http://www.rrstar.com/localnews/your_community/rockford/20030520-4814.shtml

LA_MERC_Diesel
May 21st, 2003, 11:52 AM
WoW, nice find Dirge

die hippie!!! :p:

LA_MERC_LaTech
May 21st, 2003, 12:17 PM
Awesome...the kid that rushed the stage should be given a medal...not reprimanded.

LA_MERC_Yankee
May 21st, 2003, 02:18 PM
Promote that student to Suma Cum Laude or however it's spelled.

[Cajun] BigEasy
May 21st, 2003, 02:23 PM
It does seem stupid to have a speaker for a graduation give a speech that doesn't have anything to do with graduating. Though I must say the outrage generated by this incident seems to stem from the speech being anti-war rather than just politically minded.

LA_MERC_Dirge
May 21st, 2003, 02:35 PM
I think it's extremely hypocritical that the administration of the university views this as a problem with a breakdown in civility. This is also the view being taken by others. However, organizatrions such as ACTUP! exist solely for this purpose and receive only positive coverage. Hmmmm?

And I don't think the outrage was over anti-war, the speech was of a more anti-America lean typified in the NY Times coverage before, during, and after the War. I wonder if they tried to get Jayson Blair first?

LA_MERC_Spark
May 21st, 2003, 02:56 PM
kinda cool to see an arse clown get the verbal smackdown... DGJ!

Cypher
May 21st, 2003, 11:25 PM
Anybody listen to the audio of the speech? Subject matter aside, that guy was boring as crap.

[Cajun] BigEasy
May 22nd, 2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Dirge
I think it's extremely hypocritical that the administration of the university views this as a problem with a breakdown in civility. This is also the view being taken by others. However, organizatrions such as ACTUP! exist solely for this purpose and receive only positive coverage. Hmmmm?

And I don't think the outrage was over anti-war, the speech was of a more anti-America lean typified in the NY Times coverage before, during, and after the War. I wonder if they tried to get Jayson Blair first?

I don't think its hypocritical of the administration to feel that way unless they provide support or are involved with groups like ACT UP! They should have realized that the speaker they invited might stir up emotions, which it obviously did.

As for the anti-american comment, there has been virtually no distinction between anti-american and anti-war. They've been lumped together. Criticism its seems isn't welcome.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==