PDA

View Full Version : Please help someone...

Swampdog
May 12th, 2003, 09:03 AM
hey people..
i got a question....i just installed my new video card...buts its lags out during games....bad i man my ping around 700 to 198....its irregular behavior got me confused....i know i am on dial up but i never had connection problems like this .i need to know is there someone in my settings i need to change or tweak specs here Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
Video Driver : nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version : 6.14.01.4345
CPU Type : 1447 MHz AuthenticAMD Athlon XP
RAM : 480 MB Total
234 MB Free
Virtual RAM : 1122 MB Total
952 MB Free
Sound Card : SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Sound Driver : smwdm.sys
Driver Version : 5.12.01.3038
DirectX : DirectX 8.1
Operating System Windows XP Service Pack 1 5.1.2600

please help if u could people thanks

LA_MERC_Onji
May 12th, 2003, 09:17 AM
i suggest installing the latest detonator drivers and DX9

toby may have some other suggestions tho

Swampdog
May 12th, 2003, 09:36 AM
i updated the driver 43.45_win2kxp_english but the driver says nothing about detonator?...........

LA_MERC_Onji
May 12th, 2003, 09:40 AM
yeah thats the same one

Sortie
May 12th, 2003, 04:58 PM
OK....That RAM issue really bugs me. Do you have 512 and your motherboard has an onboard video card sharing some of your RAM ? Or, do you have a 256, 128, 64, 32 stick in 4 slots ? Knowing this might help out a bit.

Swampdog
May 12th, 2003, 06:45 PM
512 ram i have.....another question......when i restart my pc its shows at the bottom right that it finds my old video card........when i put the new card in pci slot.....i had before a factory video card call prosavage3 how do i get rid it show up each and everytime i restart my pc...??

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
May 12th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Swampdog, sounds like you will have to disable the old video card in the bios. Most of the time, if u put in a secondary video card into a motherboard with built in video then the secondary card should overide the built in video settings.

Also, while in game, drop console and type
net_graph 3

This will put up a small graph in the bottom right of your screen. Watch the settings there when u lag out and record the values.

Sortie
May 12th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Yeah, it definitely sounds like your onbaord video card wasnt auto disabled. In bios there is an option to disable it. If you are unsure how to do it and do not have the manuals handy let me know the Manufacturer and model of the MB.

That 480 led me to believe that you had a shared onboard video that is why I asked.

Swampdog
May 12th, 2003, 08:37 PM
compaq is the manufacturer.model says compaq Pc..X86-based system...bios version/Date Compaq 786K5,12/5/2001......SMBIOS Version 2.3

Sortie
May 12th, 2003, 11:37 PM
1. Hook your monitor up to the OLD onboard video.
2. Reboot the pc and go into the BIOS settings.
3. In the Advanced (I think) menu selection, pick PCI Device Settings (I think this is the right selection. I don't have the pc in front of me and I'm doing this from memory).
4. There is a selection to choose between your onboard video card or the new one you just installed. This selection is not there until after you install the new video card and go into bios.
5. Hook up your monitor to the new card and pray it works.

Also...try this

1. Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel.
2. Double Click on the Display icon.
3. Click on the Settings tab.
4. Click on the Advanced tab near the bottom of the window.
5. Click on the "Adapter" tab.
6. Click on "Change".
7. Win98 may bring up a window asking if you want Win98 to look for a
newer driver, or if you want to select from a list. Select the option
to choose from a list(should apply to XP or 2000 also).
8. On the next window, make sure the line "Show all Hardware"is selected.
9. On the left side of the Window, scroll to the top of the list. Click once on "Standard Display Type".
10. On the right side, choose "Standard Display Adapter (VGA)".
11. Click on next until you are offered a "Finish" button.
12. When the computer says you have to reboot to make the changes, go
ahead and do so.
13. After the system has rebooted, then shut down the computer, turn it off, and follow the instructions that come with the new video card.

Lt.Dan
May 13th, 2003, 12:22 AM
I had the same lag problem when I installed my G-force TI4200, I found that if I emptyed my custom.hpk file in my counter strike folder that my ping would drop from 700 to between 50 and 100. Open the file with notepad and just delete every thing inside it, its no big deal, it is just a file where stuff like other peoples sprayes are kept. I empty it every time I play, you would be supriesed how much stuff gets put in there.

Swampdog
May 13th, 2003, 06:33 PM
ok guys let me try this things yall list....

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==