PDA

View Full Version : Hey Hardware gurus!!!! HELP!

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 26th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Okay, when I fell asleep for my nap, my comp was running fine. When I awoke, it was powered down. hmmm Push power button... nothing. The standby light is on on the motherboard, but I cannot get it to power up. I tried shorting the on switch and still nothing. I'm thinking it is the power supply, can someone give me their qualified opinion?

Thanks

Reign
March 26th, 2003, 05:29 PM
if you are getting power to the board its probably not the psu in that aspect, hit the toggle siwtch on the psu and unplug power from wall, wait a few minutes and try again

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 26th, 2003, 05:48 PM
done to no effect... :(

Reign
March 26th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Try unhooking the main power from the board its a big crazy looking plug about 14 or 16 wires in it i think. if that doesn't work try hooking up a new power supply, and see where that takes you.
If it doesn't work, then thats just retarded

SnAkEbItE
March 26th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Good advice the Reign, the only thing other would be to take the system down to minimum config. That is memeory, cpu, and video card then see if you get a post if not then if you have it try a new video card still no, then it's either your system board, memeory or cpu. If you have simular equipment you can test memory and cpu out past that then I'd say start with a system board. This is being that you have verrified that the power supply is good.
To qualify myself I have over 13 years of doing this professonaly and I do it every day. I have several pices of paper that say I can do it. How ever that don't mean much now a days.

LA_MERC_Mercy
March 26th, 2003, 07:10 PM
yeah but you will never lack for toilet paper...:D

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 26th, 2003, 07:40 PM
okay no luck so far. All i can get is the standby light on the mobo. I bared the wires for the power switch and crossed them and still get nothing. I was testing the main power plug from the power supply to try and measure the voltages but I have not been able to see ANYTHING. Of course, I'm not sure I am testing the right pins. I am using a Fluke digital multimeter set on DC voltage. Does anyone know which pins to test to see if I am getting the volatges? The reason I ask is that I do not have any spare equipment to use to trouble shoot my machine. :(

Thanks for the help so far guys!

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
March 26th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Sounds like the Nazis have come to NOLA...RUN AWAY!!!

Scott

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
March 26th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Dirge, bring your computer out to your truck and hook up one jumper cable from your truck battery to one ping on the computer power cord and the other battery cable to the other and see if the light changes.

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 26th, 2003, 08:26 PM
waah

I would do that Toby, but it's raining down here. Maybe tomorrow... waah

Man these electronic contraptions will drive a man to drink. Give me the good ole days when I fixed my comp with a toothpick, some cardboard, a lego, and some elmer's glue... Ahhh College...

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
March 26th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Dirge, do u have an atx motherboard or an at board? also, what kind of board is it and model number if u can.

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 26th, 2003, 09:16 PM
I have an abit Kx7-333R mobo

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
March 26th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Well, the standby light just indicates that you have 5volts of power to the motherboard but the next light next to that one indicates that power is fully on. If that one is not lighting up then it doesn't seem like your board is getting the power that it needs or the board went bad.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
March 26th, 2003, 10:23 PM
It COULD still be the PSU...

It could possibly be getting enough juice to power the standby mode, but not enought to power the board, chip and ram, ect and post...I've seen a bad psu power even all the system fans, but not post, change the psu and it's fine since.

Also, since the standby light is on, something could have gotten frigged in the bios possibly...

Try resetting the bios. There should be a jumper on your mobo, check your manual...all you have to do is switch the bios reset jumper, leave it a min and set it back...if you can't find the jumper, take the battery out of the mobo and leave it for a while, and put it back in. Your chip (you have a AMD 1900+ if I remember right) will prolly (if it IS a 1900) show as a Athlon 1400MHZ, that will be b/c the board is running at 100 instead of 133...if that happens go into the bios and into "frequency control" or something named similar and set the FSB - frount side bus - to 133 and you'll be back at 1600MHz (1900+).

I'll be glad to troubleshoot w/ you via phone...get w/ me in PM. Check w/ a local comp store and see if they'll let you get a new power supply and bring it back if it's not the prob. could very well be..

laterz
j.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
March 26th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
If that one is not lighting up then it doesn't seem like your board is getting the power that it needs

The board not getting the power that it needs refers to the PSU not supplying the necessary power meaning that it could be bad also :)

SnAkEbItE
March 27th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Yeah if you have another system that is a atx style then just try it's psu.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
March 27th, 2003, 12:52 PM
same crap happened to me, it get's frozen on standby. Maybe it's an XP problem, but I just don't use standby anymore.

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 27th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Well I went at lunch and bought an Antec 350 W psu from bestbuy. We'll see how it fares this evening...

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 27th, 2003, 03:39 PM
woohoo New PSU, new lease on gaming life! Now that the comp is up, I gotta go to class :( I'll be back tonight!

Bulldog
March 27th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Hey guys,
Dirge when you hit the power button do you hear any beeps at all? If so how many?
If you aren't hearing any at all, try taking out the video card and then hitting power (with no card in) If you still don't get any beeps it's most likely either mobo or psu. The mobo should check for processor, ram, then video. If it doesn't find either of the three it should give a series of bios beeps to designate which one is missing or bad. You can also do the same thing with the processor.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
March 27th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Bulldog, actually, I think Dirge fixed his problem with the new PSU that he purchased today but you info is appreciated and correct so if any others are having issues like this, it would be good to check what Bulldog just mentioned.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==