PDA

View Full Version : Computer help...

cd
March 17th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Aight my cousin's computer wont startup.. Whenever you turn it on.. it starts to load, says what kind of video card he's got and what not and then loads the Systemax screen... then it goes into sleep mode... cant take it off of sleep mode or anything. Any suggestions on what can be the problem?

His video card is a nvidia geforce2 32mb... he's replaced the video card to see if that was the problem, but it still did the same thing. Thanks.

Omega_Prime
March 17th, 2003, 01:14 AM
yes very simple take all the cords off the pc tower and throw it out the window, once you do this go out and beat the ever living crap out of it with any weapon of your choice, this will make you feel so much better, and finally once all of that is done go out and buy you a real machine w00t!

cd
March 17th, 2003, 01:16 AM
He aint got no money.. he's so broke he cant even pay attention... *tat-tat* *crash*!!!

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
March 17th, 2003, 06:39 AM
did u try booting in safe mode?

LA_MERC_LaTech
March 17th, 2003, 06:50 AM
THat won't work Kor, it's not getting past POST.

Could be one of several problems: Power Supply, CPU or RAM. Make sure that the fan on the CPU is spinning on boot - if not, bingo! I would honestly lean towards those 3 possibilities if I was going to troubleshoot it.
Then again, it could be the NIC/Modem.
LaTech

LA_MERC_MadMAX
March 17th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Take all the cards out exept the vid card...see if it will post then. Often a fauty modem or NIC will make a system not post. Next step would be the RAM, if you have any at all to stick in there.

LA_MERC_LaTech
March 17th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I've seen MANY a "broken" system not POST becasue of a bad NIC or a fried Modem. Check that first, then RAM.

I was thinking perhaps bad PS for a while, but the more that I think about it, the less likely it would be. Was thinking problem with capacitor...enough to turn on and begin, but not enough juice to POST. I don't know about that theory anymore.

SnAkEbItE
March 17th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Yeah I agree take it down to just system board memory processor, video card no floppy, no cd rom and just the hard drive with the operating system on. It could be any of those if it post then add back in the stuff one at a time.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==