PDA

View Full Version : Metallica

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
March 4th, 2003, 05:15 PM
This is what Jason had to say about his former band.....and ya know what??? He's friggin' right!!

Bassist Jason Newsted (Voivod) had some “words” regarding his former band, Metallica, in a recent interview with Britain’s Rock Sound Magazine: "It's a joke, I think Metallica are just a joke. I don't think they have any idea. I am fan of Metallica again, I did my thing in there and felt good and I'm proud of that **** and I am more proud than sour. But that's the integrity down the ****ing tube! Why can't they take out Strapping Young Lad, why can't they take out In Flames? What they are doing now is such an obvious cash thing and has nothing to do with the music that we're supposed to be fighting for. [Guitarist] Kirk [Hammett got quoted about their new record sounding like Entombed. How can it sound like Entombed, how? Who is playing bass to make it sound like Entombed? James [Hetfield] is a good bass player, but c'mon, dude! Lars [Ulrich] — he hasn't practiced enough drums over the years — he let his art fall away from him, he doesn't have the same finesse as he used to have, so how is it going to sound like Entombed and have that energy? And anyway if they are speaking like that how come they are not talking Entombed out on tour? Or Meshuggah — how came they are not staying true to their words? That's what really bothers me."

To see more info on Metallica and other rock/metal banks go here:

www.knac.com

Scott

BigOne
March 4th, 2003, 06:23 PM
i wanna go to metallica's tour. I want Exiles to come he's seen then b4 i haven't and i'd love to see em especially since they are going in tour w/ limp bizkit, linkin park, and mudvein. It's gonna be one hell of a concert i think but i can't seem to get ex to go w/ me

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
March 4th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Ive seen them 13 or 14 times since 86. All but one was great. I just get a bad feeling about this...plus the tix are $75!! How is the average kid gonna go to a show like that?? That's total BS! Let's say you take a date to the show....thats

$150 for tix
$15 to park
$10 for McDonalds before the show
$40 for food durring show (thats for both and thats cheap)
$25 for T-shirt (they are closer to $30 but you get the idea)

TOTAL: $240 for a concert.....BS!!!!

If you drop the shirt and the date it's still $115!!!
That's so not fair for the younger crowd...Hell, that's alot for me!!!
I'm really disappointed.

Scott

LA_MERC_LaTech
March 4th, 2003, 07:32 PM
BigOne,
I plan on going in Dallas...if I can convince someone else to go (see BB's post above as to why I need to convince someone).

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 4th, 2003, 08:08 PM
How about Metallica's ridiculously stupid argument against Napster? I personally don't particularly care for their music, but there ignorant stance on the music industry is friggin retarded! off topic I know, but I had to rant!

BigOne
March 4th, 2003, 08:16 PM
yeah i can't get anyone else to go either
imma trying i wanna see limp bizkit and linkin park too i think thats gonna be awesome in it's own self

Daedelus
March 4th, 2003, 08:23 PM
I think ill probably go when they come to Portland. i does sound like some good bands to get together i one night.the price should be that big a deal? When was the last time any you guys whent to a nascar race lol my Daytona 500 tickets were like 650 bucks that not covering air fair.and i like to go to California Race way for the Napa 500 tickets were like 350 for a good seat.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
March 4th, 2003, 08:43 PM
I don't think i ever spend more than 150 on tickets, beer or food when I go to Darlington...

Jubae
March 4th, 2003, 09:05 PM
I haven't seen 150 bucks in so long, well, there was that one time Corbin paid me for....HEY WAIT A SEC! I DON'T HAVE TO TELL YOU ALL ABOUT THAT!

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
March 4th, 2003, 11:52 PM
I think they did the right thing with Napster....for the wrong reasons. Metallica have always been money hungry. Did you ever wonder why you can't get Metallica CDs from Columbia House or BMG?? Metalliuca blocked them. Kirks response when asked was, why should we let them sell our CDs when you can go down to the local record store and get it right away.....DUH!!!! I can get the whole catalog for a penny THAT'S WHY FOO!! What the whole Napster thing did was help smaller bands protect what little revenue they may be getting from CD sales. I know you're gonna say that they get more exposure that way but without CD sales, record companies won't want ot foot the bill for a tour to get the band out there to be seen by the masses.
BUt really, it was all for nothing. How many other sites have file sharing and w/o a central server. All in all I still like their music but I don't like where they are coming from now. RObert Trujillo is an AWESOME bass player but not really Metallica meterial IMO. I'd rather see him hook up with Mike Muir again and throw down some old school ST or some Infectious Grooves. Jubae, you down with Infectious Grooves?? Man Robert just kills the slap/pop funk metal. If you need some titles to D/L I'll hook ya up.

Scott

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
March 4th, 2003, 11:54 PM
This is my kind of topic...I can talk rock/metal the way Dirge can spew right wing politics....:D

Scott

LA_MERC_LaTech
March 5th, 2003, 05:31 AM
SO, my question to you BB is this: How is Metallica (the music) going to change now that they have a new bass player?

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
March 5th, 2003, 08:11 AM
It's not on this CD because Bob Rock played bass on alot of it...DOH!!
To be honest it won't anyway. Who does all the writting.....Lars and James. I spent alot of time defending Metallica on KNAC.com but I'm starting to think I was wrong. I still love ALL their music they are not the same band I was addicted to back when I first heard MOP. I've never liked the word sellout...it's used WAY TOO MUCH but it just might apply in this case. How else do you explain the Linkin Park/Limp Bizkit thing. The straw that broke THIS camels back was they did a song on the new CD with Ja Rule....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?!? I haven't heard it yet so I'm not gonna pass judgement but it worries me. I don't expect or even WANT them to make 10 carbon copies of KIll 'EM ALL or RIde or MOP...that would be boring (although it's worked for AC/DC for over 25 years). Change is good (S&M was great idea and a great CD). I really like Load and Reload as well but Ja Rule??? I just don't know. I'd go see Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit too....just not with Metallica. It smacks way too much of MONEY MONEY MONEY. $75 for a ticket proves it. I could go on and on.

Scott

LA_MERC_LaTech
March 5th, 2003, 08:31 AM
I would agree. There is a definate difference in the music from Black on. I think that's when they went to school and actually learned things like harmony and stuff.
Ja Rule, eh...sounds like a bad plan...but, I won't say anything too bad till I hear it.
None more black was the first album I heard from them. I liked it, but like the older stuff also. I don't know what to expect out of them anymore...I think that's my point. You go from metal to almost "normal" rock ballads. Whats up with that?!

wookie
March 5th, 2003, 09:05 PM
Ive offically paid about 200 bucks total for every concert and show ive been to over the past 3 years. Most bands are coming to The Varsity and the radio station X 104.9 puts up the cash so we dont have to pay much to get in. I saw TrustCompany,Naive, and a local band for free, saw Saliva, AudioVent and Theory of a DeadMan for 15 bucks, and saw Trapt for 1.49.
Yall should come down to the Varisty on April 18th to see TrustCompany.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==