PDA

View Full Version : best system

*Lotus*Dredg
December 18th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Me and my friends have been argueing over what system is the best, Xbox? PS2? GameCube? i cant decide they all have there pluses what do you think?

Captain
December 19th, 2002, 12:20 AM
i am a Sony forever :) Penzoil World Of Outlaws Sprint Car series is da Shizzat :)

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 19th, 2002, 06:58 AM
omg here we go again!

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 19th, 2002, 07:54 AM
It a bird, its a plane, no its all knowlegde of the console....
K-Bomb. :p

K-BOMB
December 19th, 2002, 09:13 AM
I guess you're expecting a rant here. Last time this debate came up, a lot of people made some VERY stupid points - so it took a lot of ranting to debunk them all.

The answer to this is quite simple. Are you ready?......wait for it....

THE BEST CONSOLE IS THE ONE THAT HAS THE GAMES YOU WANT TO PLAY!!!

That's it. Pretty simple actually. You can argue a lot of other points, but at the end of the day it's all about the games. But, in the spirit of a K-BOMB rant, I will address some other points.

Number of Games - There is no question that PS2 has the most games, followed by Xbox and Gamecube. So if you value a diverse selection of games, PS2 is the way to go. Granted, 99% of this huge selection will be horrible, but that obviously hasn't slowed Sony down.

Exclusive games - here's a tricky one.

If you like PC games, then you'll probably go for XBox (Halo, Unreal, Mechassault). But you can already play Unreal on your PC, and soon you will eventually be able to play Halo, both online at no extra charge. Other third party games have limited exclusivity to M$ for a couple of months, such as Dead to Rights and the recently released Splinter Cell (also on the PC). Then they appear on the other consoles as well. Looks like XBox will have some big online RPG's as well, and they bought a couple of franchises that were born on Nintendo 64, namely Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie.

PS2's big exclusives are Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto - again also available on the PC.

Then you have Gamecube. Let's see...Mario, Zelda, Starfox, F-Zero, Metroid, Mario Kart, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 4, Killer 7, P.N. 03, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Smash Brothers, Waverace. Personally, I don't mind waiting a couple of extra months for games like Dead to Rights and Splinter Cell. Even if you think Mario and Zelda are too "kiddy" (which is ridiculous - Zelda games are EPIC, I don't care what the graphics look like), Metroid, Eternal Darkness, and Residient Evil are each reason enough to own a Cube.

Graphics - Xbox has the most powerful graphics hardware, with the GC a close second and the PS2 a distant third. Anyone that values graphics over gameplay is a complete fool IMHO, but if that's your main criteria, get an XBox.

Control - A big part of gameplay is control, therefore the controller is important. I personally prefer the GC controller, but it's D-pad is a bit small for fighting games. The PS2's analog sticks are too loose and awkward to use. But, with the PS2 having such a huge user base, most multi-platform games are designed with the PS2 controller in mind. The original XBox controller was a giant piece of crap. It was too big, the button layout was horrible, the buttons themselves were horrible. It's sticks and d-pad were okay, but everything else sucked. I finally had a chance to use the smaller Type S controller the other day, and it was a vast improvement. So I would rank the controllers GC, Xbox (Type S), then PS2. Again, just my opinion.

Online play - Xbox is pushing this really hard - they are obviously the frontrunner. Still not sure how I feel about paying M$ a fee on top of the cost for my broadband connection, since most of the games are played peer-to-peer and not on M$ servers. Sony has quietly released some online content as well. Gamecube only has one online title at this point (Phantasy Star Online) - but I'm still holding out hope for Mario Kart Online. If online play is your thing, go for an XBox. Or, use the PC you already own :)

As you can tell, I prefer the Gamecube. In addition to the exclusives mentioned above, it has great third party representation with multi-platform games like Tony Hawk, Mortal Kombat, and EA and Sega's sports games. I simply don't have the time to keep up with all of the great games, and more are coming. I am very happy with the Cube.

If you can afford it and have the time, do what Noxious did and get all three consoles. Ultimate gaming nirvana....Later.

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 19th, 2002, 12:07 PM
yeah....what he said.
gj K-bomb.

Omega_Prime
December 20th, 2002, 04:15 AM
k-bomb how can you say 99.9 of sonys games are horrible? have you not looked at the cube??? the only games they have that are even worth the time playing are the soon to be zelda,ff crystal, and metroid prime. maybe a few others you listed such as the resident evil games but other than that nothing really worth playin. sony on the other hand just to name the future games coming out will have xenosaga,final fantasy x-2,final fantasy XI,Chrono Break, Tomb Raider new one cant remember name, legend of the dragoon II,good lord the list goes on and on, now im a big rpg fan and thats really all i play as far as consoles go and to me neither the cube or x-box has a list worthy of my gaming experience, if i were gonna go out and buy another console it would be the cube just based on the new final fantasy they getting and the zelda game, to me though the only thing keeping nintendo alive these days is the lil kids and zelda.

Omega_Prime
December 20th, 2002, 04:18 AM
o and k-bomb we do agree on one thing zelda is the bomb and comes in 3rd on my all time epic/rpg list. final fantasy being one,the chrono series second,followed by zelda.

K-BOMB
December 20th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Omega, you have proved my point exactly. You like the PS2 because it has the games you want to play, in this case RPG's. I'm not a fan or the traditional turn-based RPG (i.e. push a button - watch a movie, push a button - watch some long, drawn out spell animation). I prefer real-time, action RPG's like Zelda. The only reason I'm interested in FF:CC is it appears to be more real-time, ala Zelda. I totally agree that PS2 has the most traditional RPG's - but I'm simply not a fan so it's not one of my criteria.

As far as Tomb Raider....well, let's just say it's got plenty of room for improvement :) Seriously, the gameplay sucked, a classic example of horrible control wrapped in a sloppy package of bad graphics. Yet they continued to pump out sequels on the PS1. And this was supposedly one of Playstation's BEST titles! I wonder how it would have sold if the main character had not been female? This was just one of the myriad of reasons that I was turned off by Sony last generation. My favorite was Resident Evil - and now it's exclusive to the Cube.

So, combine the above with the fact that the PS2 has several hundered games available (mostly third party with suspect QA/QC), and it's not a stretch for me to say 99% of the games aren't that good. To be fair, the Cube and XBox have their fair share of bad titles too (most of them are ports of bad PS2 games)...the PS2 just has the most because it has the largest library of games.

Personally, I would rather play any of the Cube games I listed over any of the PS2 games you listed. Again, just my opinion. I prefer the Cube because it has epic, highly polished first and second party exclusives with spot-on play control as well as a good variety of third party games, specifically in the sports genre.

Hope you enjoy your PS2 as much as I enjoy my Cube...later.

*Lotus*Dredg
December 20th, 2002, 05:03 PM
yeah i agree with "the best is the one with the games you like to play" but this splinter cell game for x-box looks realy cool

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 20th, 2002, 06:37 PM
i know this, i have a playstation that sits underneath my television collecting wads of dust. simply cause i'm playing cs. I don't need anything else to get my gaming fix.

K-BOMB
December 20th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Dredg...I played Splinter Cell on XBox a few days ago. Seems pretty well done if you like that sort of game. I was planning on getting the Gamecube version when it arrives early next year, but now I think I'm probably gonna rent it first. The "stealthy" slower pace of the game didn't really grab me - you basically hid in the shadows, snuck up behind dude then either a)knocked him out, b)made him enter or give you the passcode then knocked him out, or c)shoved his head in a retinal scanner then knocked him out - then you hid the body. It did have some cool gadgets (laser microphone comes to mind). I only played the first two levels - so I'll reserve final judgement.

*Lotus*Dredg
December 20th, 2002, 10:53 PM
i lie games like that thought, like thaty new assiasn game (cant remember ther name (TOO MANY BEERS

sugarfaerie
January 1st, 2003, 09:10 PM
Im all about the old nintendo and super nintendo! LOL

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==