PDA

View Full Version : Hlds

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 4th, 2002, 10:14 AM
I've been trying to put up a server.
I see it on gametiger and serverspy, but I can't connect when I'm playing.
Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
Do you need to keep the HLDS open on the server?

Death-Speak
December 4th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Yes, HLDS must be running if you want to be able to connect to it.

1) What type of internet connection do you have?
2) Do have a router?
3) Show us the shortcut your using to start the server with.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 4th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Well, i've had it opened, just wanted to make sure
1. T1
2. I have a switch but it's used to lan to to server
3. c:\counter-strike\hlds,exe -game cstrike - port 27015 -noipx +log on +maxplayers 20 +map de_dust

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
December 4th, 2002, 11:14 AM
do you have a firewall? or connecting behind a proxy? if so you will need to open the ports for CS.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 4th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Hmm I'll check that out.
But even still, since it is installed on my LAN server shouldn't I be able to connect to it from one of the stations.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
December 4th, 2002, 12:41 PM
can you ping it? with the port #27015 (or whatever port you assigned it too)

on the computer it's running on, go to internet connections and see if it's connecting through a proxy. if so, just forward the ports for cs. if not, then yeah, you should be able to connect from another station on the same segment.

also, do you use Internal addressing for IP's? inother words, is your internal IP of your computer on your network different than the external IP address you use to connect to the internet? if so, you will have to make sure you use NAT (network address translation) to assign a public IP that is translated into your private IP. without that, I'm almost positive you will never be able to connect to the HLDS server through your router.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 4th, 2002, 01:02 PM
can you use layman's terms for a n00b :P

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
December 4th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Try using this as your command line

hlds.exe -game cstrike +exec server.cfg +port 27015 +maxplayers 20 +map de_dust

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 4th, 2002, 01:23 PM
I'm at work so it's kinda hard for me to run back and forth to the server, but thanx for all your help, if you get a chance see if it's working 66.107.124.90

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 4th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Captain_Obvious
can you ping it? with the port #27015 (or whatever port you assigned it too)

on the computer it's running on, go to internet connections and see if it's connecting through a proxy. if so, just forward the ports for cs. if not, then yeah, you should be able to connect from another station on the same segment.

also, do you use Internal addressing for IP's? inother words, is your internal IP of your computer on your network different than the external IP address you use to connect to the internet? if so, you will have to make sure you use NAT (network address translation) to assign a public IP that is translated into your private IP. without that, I'm almost positive you will never be able to connect to the HLDS server through your router.

OK found out other people can get onto the server but me.
How do I do that NAT thing?
Does anybody have a good link to all admin commands?

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
December 4th, 2002, 03:29 PM
http://server.counter-strike.net/commands.html

I'm not sure if the list of commands have been updated with the last few (like mp_fadetoblack ) but this list should definitly have almost everything you need. also that site is one of the best for helping people like yourself out. (new to running a CS server)

as far as nat goes, if others can join your server then you don't need to use NAT (and if you had to use it you would have to have the system administrator do it for you on the router or firewall)

if you can't get onto the server, but others can....
you might have a problem talked about here:
http://server.counter-strike.net/help/serverclient.html
even if you are on a diff computer inside your network.
the way internal addressing I mentioned ealier works is - the IP address of all the computers inside your network maybe something like 192.168.x.x to access the internet, all those computers can go through 1 external IP such as 203.204.15.1 so anytime any of the computers inside your network connect to an outside source, their ip is seen as 203.204.15.1 instead of 192.168.x.x
so the hlds server can have the same external IP as a different computer in your network. if that is happening, the reason you can't connect to it while others can is becasue the CS server is using the same socket (ip and port #) that your computer is trying to use. to correct it (if that is what is happening) use the exact same command line illegal posted above, but make the port 27016 instead of 27015.

easy way to check it - use your computer to connect to any other CS server, in the console when you are getting authinticated by won and then the server, they will display the public IP you are connecting from. see if that is the same IP as your HLDS server. if it is, change the port on the HLDS to 27016. if not the same, then I just typed alot of crap for nothing :)

good luck with it.

Death-Speak
December 4th, 2002, 04:15 PM
When you connect to your server thats on the same LAN as you, are doing this from "Play Online" or from "LAN Games"? Even though its an internet server you should go under Lan Games and connect to it that way.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 5th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Thanx DS, we don't have an administrator, I take care of the server, just wasn't too sure on what the prob was. I'll try it out.
Yeah i had that serve.cs site, but they don't give you stuff like psay and things like that. I'm a n00b at admin, don't even know how to put in the password.

LA_MERC_Mercy
December 5th, 2002, 06:42 AM
well for psay and tsay you have to have admin mod installed otherwise all you can do is the basic rcon commands...

SnAkEbItE
December 5th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Dude I checked your server and if your running a T1 then you might want to get it checked because I was pinging around 148 or better. I live in Shreveport, LA.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 6th, 2002, 08:27 AM
I tried installing admin mod, statsme, hlguard; read the instructions but it doesn't seem to work. Too frustrating for me.
Well I'm in NY and we were havn server probs yesterday. Don't know if we have a full T1 or not, i was told we do. If the ping is that high I'm just gonna scrap this whole server idea. But I appreciate all your help! Maybe I'll try again when I have some more free time.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==