PDA

View Full Version : Fire is ALIVE!

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 21st, 2002, 12:09 PM
Every once in a while, I get one of these wacky thoughts into my head that just make complete sense to me, but to other people, I look like either a complete idiot, or a raving lunatic (I won’t argue either point on this subject at this time!). One such thought that I have had for a number of years is about fire. Simply put: Fire is alive, or better yet, Fire exhibits all the necessary components of life.

There are five basic questions that Biologists must answer to determine whether something is alive or not. They are: 1) Does this item move? 2) Does it ingest food and excrete waste? 3) Does it react to outside stimuli? 4) Does it grow? and 5) Does it reproduce? I will now apply these 5 questions to fire, and will show you why fire, I believe, is alive.

Question #1: Does fire move? Yes, fire will move based upon where it’s “life sustaining” food is. You can cease the movement of a spreading fire by removing the kindling or burnable substances from an area, thus making it impossible for the fire to move in that area.

Question #2: Does fire ingest food and excrete waste (byproduct of it’s food)? Yes. Fire will consume a house in minutes if the right conditions are met. What is left behind? Ashes, smoke and carbon dioxide are left in the fire’s wake. To eat something, you essentially change the makeup of it. Fire changes wood into ash and soot. Fire changes the air that we breathe into carbon dioxide (it’s not as simple as this, I realize, but you get the basic idea).

Question #3: Does fire react to outside stimuli? Of course it does! Have you ever thrown water on a fire? What does it do? It dies. Also, if you take oxygen out of the area that a fire is in, will it not also die? Take away the food (combustible materials) of a fire, and will it not also die? Of course it will. Also, if a fire is racing towards a river, it will change directions based upon where more food is etc.

Question #4: Does it grow? Well, I think this is the simplest of the 5 questions. Of course fires grow. I can take a match right now and start a small fire. If I continue to “feed” it, it will get larger. If I quit tending it, it also has the ability to grow on it’s own, as long as there is enough food to sustain it.

Question #5: Does it reproduce? The trickiest of the 5 questions, but, as with all the others, Fire also exhibits this trait of life. Fire will also spawn smaller fires around it through the use of fire-like spores that I will call “sparks”. These “sparks” will fly through the air as long as the material that they are on will support life. Upon meeting another body with more combustible materials, the “spark” will then ignite another fire…thus asexual reproduction (same thing that some lichens will do through the use of spores).

As you can see, this is a very simple idea, once you look at all the facts.

Thank you for your time.

La_MERC_LaTech

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
November 21st, 2002, 12:37 PM
LA TECH +

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
November 21st, 2002, 12:39 PM

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
November 21st, 2002, 12:40 PM
=

Originally posted by LA_MERC_LaTech
Every once in a while, I get one of these wacky thoughts into my head that just make complete sense to me, but to other people, I look like either a complete idiot, or a raving lunatic (I won’t argue either point on this subject at this time!). One such thought that I have had for a number of years is about fire. Simply put: Fire is alive, or better yet, Fire exhibits all the necessary components of life.

There are five basic questions that Biologists must answer to determine whether something is alive or not. They are: 1) Does this item move? 2) Does it ingest food and excrete waste? 3) Does it react to outside stimuli? 4) Does it grow? and 5) Does it reproduce? I will now apply these 5 questions to fire, and will show you why fire, I believe, is alive.

Question #1: Does fire move? Yes, fire will move based upon where it’s “life sustaining” food is. You can cease the movement of a spreading fire by removing the kindling or burnable substances from an area, thus making it impossible for the fire to move in that area.

Question #2: Does fire ingest food and excrete waste (byproduct of it’s food)? Yes. Fire will consume a house in minutes if the right conditions are met. What is left behind? Ashes, smoke and carbon dioxide are left in the fire’s wake. To eat something, you essentially change the makeup of it. Fire changes wood into ash and soot. Fire changes the air that we breathe into carbon dioxide (it’s not as simple as this, I realize, but you get the basic idea).

Question #3: Does fire react to outside stimuli? Of course it does! Have you ever thrown water on a fire? What does it do? It dies. Also, if you take oxygen out of the area that a fire is in, will it not also die? Take away the food (combustible materials) of a fire, and will it not also die? Of course it will. Also, if a fire is racing towards a river, it will change directions based upon where more food is etc.

Question #4: Does it grow? Well, I think this is the simplest of the 5 questions. Of course fires grow. I can take a match right now and start a small fire. If I continue to “feed” it, it will get larger. If I quit tending it, it also has the ability to grow on it’s own, as long as there is enough food to sustain it.

Question #5: Does it reproduce? The trickiest of the 5 questions, but, as with all the others, Fire also exhibits this trait of life. Fire will also spawn smaller fires around it through the use of fire-like spores that I will call “sparks”. These “sparks” will fly through the air as long as the material that they are on will support life. Upon meeting another body with more combustible materials, the “spark” will then ignite another fire…thus asexual reproduction (same thing that some lichens will do through the use of spores).

As you can see, this is a very simple idea, once you look at all the facts.

Thank you for your time.

La_MERC_LaTech

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 21st, 2002, 12:41 PM
hahaha

LA_MERC_Dirge
November 21st, 2002, 01:16 PM
Well, there are several fronts on which this line of reasoning is incorrect. For the sake of brevity, I will only address #2.

Fire was believed to be something akin to a living organism and an actual substance in the dark ages. But they also thought witches were made of wood. ;)

The definition of ingesting food and excreting waste requires that substance matter is passed through cellular membranes where further breakdown and processes occur. These processes further breakdown "food" into basic components which are then utilized by the organism to sustain life. Combustion (fire) itself is nothing more than a chemical reaction wherein fuel combines with the proper amount of heat and oxygen to create an exothermic reaction and convert the fuel and oxygen to carbon dioxide and water (belive it or not) along with ash. In fact, pure combustion would leave behind no ash or other by-products. Rather the only products would be water and carbon dioxide. This fact alone disproves the hyptothesis.

If I get bored enough, I will fashion assaults on the other tenets of this arguement. w00t I night even break out 2nd law of thermodynamics.

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 21st, 2002, 02:50 PM
Not necessairly true Dirge...single-celled organisms are considered "alive" and yet, they digest "food" without the use of "passing matter through cellular membranes". They consume food by means of a chemical reaction between the food and secretions (yes, I said secretions).

Get bored!

Disorder
November 21st, 2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_LaTech
single-celled organisms are considered "alive" and yet, they digest "food" without the use of "passing matter through cellular membranes".

Actually they do. they bring it in through the cell. and then it is moved to different parts within the cell. i dont remeber all the names of the stuff but in my science book there were some folded looking things and some other folded looking things with dots on it, and a bean type thing, and a big dot in the middle.

Disorder
November 21st, 2002, 03:15 PM
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/wimsmall/cilidr.html

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 21st, 2002, 03:17 PM
Bean bag...gotcha.

jk

Maximus
November 21st, 2002, 03:49 PM
What do you people do in your spare time? Or for that matter in LA TECH's case, all your time?

StratCat
November 27th, 2002, 07:28 PM
wth are you people smoking?

Cypher
November 27th, 2002, 08:24 PM
LMAO @ Big Brother's equation!!!

Originally posted by LA_MERC_Dirge
But they also thought witches were made of wood. ;)

"So logically..."
"If she weighs the same as a duck... then she must be made of... wood?"
"Good! And therefore..."

"A WITCH! A WITCH! BURN HER! BURN HER!"

Cypher
November 27th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Oh, right... and I agree with Stratcat too.

Jubae
December 6th, 2002, 10:02 PM
ONe question. If in fact this fire hypothesis holds true, then do we have to give fire equal rights as an animal. Hence if a forest fire breaks out or a family of fires are having a reunion, wouldn't quenching the fire be against that animals right? Also, should we still use this animal in laboratory testing? Just a thought.

Jub

Cypher
December 7th, 2002, 12:20 AM
Good point. Now put down the joint and the potato chips, and go to sleep.

Tracker
December 7th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Can i try some..... hehehe...J/K

Tracker

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==