PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 11th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Wassabi?!

As some, but not many of you, know, I drive a 1989 (old) Mazda pickup that is nearing it's last leg (or so I would like to think anyway). As such, I am trying to decide what to get in terms of a new vehicle.

I don't want a car. I won't be able to haul anything around (such as wood for projects, computers, or even dead bodies). They do get better gas mileage, but I would prefer something with some hauling/towing capacity.

I am leaning towards either a full sized pickup (what a change that will be!) or an SUV of some sort. That's the problem though...I can't decide which would be better.

With an SUV, you can haul stuff, and it will even haul kids (which we don't have yet...but, you can never tell what the future holds). The stuff that you carry is covered from the elements and other people.

A truck, on the other hand, is going to be cheaper. I have even considered getting an extended cab pickup for the kid factor. This would allow me to haul kids, wood, etc etc etc. (Oh! I finally finished building my bookcase, my first real wood project, and will post pics of theat when I get home)

Now, I would like to stay with GMC, or some other "American made" product (and I don't mean a Mazda that was assembled in America).

Does anyone own either a GMC/Chevy pickup or SUV that can give me some opinions?! Thanks.

LaTech

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
November 11th, 2002, 08:27 AM
well if you stay american made, you have a few options:
SUV
Tahoe, Blazer
Yukon
Explorer, Escape, Expedition
Durango
Vue (Saturn)
H2 (new Hummer)

TURCK
Silverado (I had one as a rental for a week and loved it)
Sierra
Ram, Dakota (mid size)
F150

some places to go check them out and get reviews etc.:
http://www.edmunds.com/
http://www.kbb.com/
http://dealernet.com/

my wife and I have a little one due in Feb. I've been doing some looking myself (gotta trade in my 96 corrolla for a bigger vehicle)
so far, my SUV of choice is the Honda Pilot - very good price for what you get, it will have one of the lowest % of depreciation which helps alot when trading or selling it later.
for a xcab Truck the Toyota Tundra is incredible. I've drivin just about all the different trucks out there, and the top 2 are the Tundra and Silverado. but the Tundra imo is a class above all the others.

I'm trying to hold off for now though. in the middle of next year, VW will release their SUV here in the states. it's based on the same suv from Porsche, and this thing is bad ass. it has every luxury item you can think of, and more power than ANY other suv (except the porsche) along with a variable hight air suspension (which can add like 6 inches of gound clearance with the touch of a button.
http://www.vwvortex.com/features/model_series/touareg/index.html

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
November 11th, 2002, 08:56 AM
The VW is gonna have the same 475HP Biturbo as the Porsche Cayenne?

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
November 11th, 2002, 10:19 AM
no, I wish. they will have 3 engines
initially the first 2 will be - V6 around 200hp, and a V8 at 310hp
when the next model comes out they will offer the third (and best)
V10 320hp over 500 ft-lps of tourqe @ 2000 rpm

it shares alot of the same luxury items that are on the new Audi A8.

only problem is the base price will be around $33k - $35k and that's for the V6.

cd
November 11th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Okey... if you go with a SUV from GMC/Chevy.. please go with a big one... the blazer/jimmy are just aggrivating, that's what my mom has. However if you still consider the truck.. my dad has a 98 Silverado.. nothing special about it, full size, extended cab. It's very spacious, we make family trips in it and there's 5 people in my family... so it deffinetly has a comfortable feel, it drives like a dream, it's visualy appealing, cost effective. It's Chevy, so you dont have to worry about it falling apart. but really it all depends on what you want. If you want truck then go with the silverado. If your wanting an SUV then I'd say an Escalade or something big. :)

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
November 11th, 2002, 10:51 AM
[tStR]Captain_Obvious no, I wish. they will have 3 engines
initially the first 2 will be - V6 around 200hp, and a V8 at 310hp
when the next model comes out they will offer the third (and best)
V10 320hp over 500 ft-lps of tourqe @ 2000 rpm

it shares alot of the same luxury items that are on the new Audi A8.

only problem is the base price will be around $33k - $35k and that's for the V6.

VW's R gettn too expensive. For instance look at thw W8 Passat, who wants to pay that much for a VW.
For that amount I'd spend the extra $15-20K and buy the Cayenne

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
November 11th, 2002, 10:54 AM
I'm a city slicker, I want to get a E500 but it would not be practical because I put 20K+ miles a year on my car.

MadOne
November 11th, 2002, 11:17 AM
I would take a good look at the new line of Ford Trucks, I rented one of the "King Cabs", the kind with 4 doors and it still had a 6 foot bed on it. It was a good riding vehicle, it gives you room for 5 and you can still Haul whatever you need. I think Ford hit a homerun with this one, it is a Truck and SUV all in one. And it is in a price range that is affordable for most people. check it out.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
November 11th, 2002, 12:21 PM
You forgot one thing Scott, what is your price range? You'll cut out alot of crap if you tell us what you want to spend. I have a Durango that I love to death BTW.

Scott

LA_MERC_Dirge
November 11th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Full size extended cab truck with 4WD!!!! w00t Get you some! To be honest, the trucks are cheaper than the SUV's and exetnded cabs will ride passengers comfortably.

Mikey
November 11th, 2002, 12:49 PM
i got an idea for ya... one of my favs is the ford sports trac... which is the ford explorer with a bed... very roomy and good lookin.. and you can get a used 2001 for like $18k to $20k(maybe even alittle cheaper)... fully loaded

are if u prefer chevy.. they have the avalanche... same basic truck just different brand.. but they cost quite a bit more

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 11th, 2002, 03:39 PM
My bad...forgot the price range. I would like to stay between $17-$20k . I know that sounds like I am a cheap booty, but hey...I just got a real job and we don't have that much saved up yet. I also realize that this stipulation cuts most of the SUV's out.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
November 11th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Isuzu Rodeo.........Very basic but it will get the job done.
You might be able to get into a Mitsubishi Montero also. They are very nice for the money. I know they aren't American but you are on a tight budget. Might have to think used:(Scott

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
November 11th, 2002, 04:48 PM
that price cuts most of the full size pickups out too.

but you can get a smaller sport ute. like the chevy tracker (basically a suzuki grand vitara) they are pretty nice and ride great.
also the ford suv that is 1 size smaller than the explorer. I think it's the escapade or something.
maybe a 2 year old Durango?

if this is going to be your first new purchase just starting out, go with something that will have a high residual value later (make sure it will keep it's resell value) that way, if you ever change your mind or get in a little better position to get something nicer, you won't be upside down in a car note. (owing more than the vehicle is worth and lose money if you trade it in)

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
November 11th, 2002, 05:08 PM
The Xterra fits that range too.....It rides a little stiff but it's a true SUV. The Tracker is a Hot Wheel on steroids.

Scott

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 11th, 2002, 07:45 PM
I had honestly figured I would have to get a vehicle that is atleast 2-3 years old (already lost 40-50% of it's value, but is still a good vehicle). It's looking as though my options are very limited, which is something that I didn't want.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
November 11th, 2002, 08:25 PM
2000 Tahoe is roughly $24,000
2000 Silverado xcab 2wd v8 is around $18,000
2000 explorer 4dr 2wd is $15,500
2000 F150 xcab 2wd v8 is $16,500
2000 Durango v8 4wd is $21,000
2000 viper is $53,000
2000 Tundra v8 xcab sr5 is $19,000
http://www.kbb.com/

you got plenty of options. (except the viper) just do some shopping.
are you in BR? if so, I know the head guys at the VW place and Team Honda. they both have a good selection of used vehicles (my mom just bought a 2001 L200 from my friend at the VW place yesterday)

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 11th, 2002, 09:08 PM
I am in Ruston, but go to BR regurarly to visit with my folks (like once every 2-3 months).

cd
November 12th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Do not listen to Scott about the Isuzu... I drive a 1992 Isuzu Pickup.. and will say any isuzu is a piece of crap... and also do not listen to Madone or Dirge.. if you get a truck.. go with the Chevy... well thats what a true southerner would do...

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 12th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Heh...well, I may have a problem there. I was born in Kansas! HA! Then again, I have lived in Louisiana for 13 years...so I guess all the Kansas is out of me by now (except for the accent...I will never adopt the LA accent!!!)

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
November 12th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Go on Ebay Motors, maybe you can find a sweet deal.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
November 12th, 2002, 12:29 PM
on sunday, go to a local dealer, key the crap outa a vehicle you like. maybe even put a few little dings in it. monday go in and tell them the exact vehicle you are looking for (the same one from sunday) but that you can't afford to pay much and don't mind if it's not in perfect condition.

Tracker
November 23rd, 2002, 10:53 PM
I own a 2001, chevy tracker.... DO NOT GET THIS SUV.It sucks, I took a trip to geogia and got bad bad gas mileage. I did however test drive my next new suv.. It was the new X-terra, I have never drove anything that road this smooth.Trust me if you like comfort and class you will love this suv.
Tracker

SnAkEbItE
November 24th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Hey for the money I have a 94 Ranger XLT extended cab bought new in Dec. 94 with 7 miles on it when I drove it off. I still have it and it only has 311,000 miles on it and on it's second clutch, and second tune up so if you talk to me right I might just sell it. But it would take a pretty penny...

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
November 24th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Tech.. You may also want to look at the differences between interest rates and incentives on a new vehicle and an older vehicle. You may end up paying the same amount of money for a used vehicle as you would a brand new vehicle.

K-BOMB
November 24th, 2002, 04:48 PM
X-Terra smooth????

May god have mercy on your backseat passengers...the ride is EXTREMELY rough IMHO. I haven't ridden in a new one, but my co-worker drives one and is routinely complaining of the rough ride.

5 out of 5 chiropractors recommend the X-terra for increasing their client base :)

Tracker
November 24th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Yea but I dont think LaTech is going to take his future kids out four wheeling,ha ha. Then again he might. lol I drove the x-terra on the interstate, and thought it was a very smooth ride. But i didn't ride in the back.

Tracker

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==