PDA

View Full Version : New job.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
August 22nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Pretty happy to say that I am taking a position in IT Management at Xerox Business Services here in Helena, MT. The official title is Systems Technician Manager and I will be responsible for Hawaii, Alaska, and Montana. Nice pay bump and good career move I think.

Last day for my current job is Friday....if I make it that long.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
August 22nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
Congrats robby! Hope you enjoy the new job, long way away from when we worked together, which is a good thing :)

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
August 22nd, 2012, 07:10 PM
NICE! I know where you'll be taking yoursummer vacations now...lol. Tax deductable of course. :D

LA_MERC_DocSparky
August 23rd, 2012, 07:16 AM
+1

Hope the transition is smooth and the job rewarding!

LA_MERC_YellowDog
August 24th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Awsome'er !!!

LA_MERC_Spark
August 24th, 2012, 10:54 AM
hey man GRATS!!

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
August 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM
So far it has been fun times. Been on the job 48 hours and learning curve is steep. First day at work and in the 3rd hour the power goes out. Found project number one.
Replace bad battery backups in the racks, rack mount the 8000 Watt APC units in a rack and plug shit into them. Imagine that you have to actually plug servers into them.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
August 29th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Imagine that you have to actually plug servers into them.

Yea that helps.. power doesn't transfer based on proximity. LOL

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 16th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Wow. Eyes have been opened. Our accounts' DR plan is 3 years out of date, there Security review / survey has been copied and pasted across the last 3 years, and they failed on an audit in some pretty significant areas. Work load doubled.
On top of that I have a blow-hard Net admin who thinks he is infallible and a 54 year old fresh out of school/internship desktop support guy.
I physically moved all of the IT staff into 2 rooms with an open doorway between them. This includes me. Overtime is sorely abused at present and they need to learn that working hard in IT is different than working in the IT field. These guys feel they need to be here all of the freaking time without a lot of production to show. Communication needs to get much better and team building needs to majorly happen. I may have them all over for homemade sushi / wine / steaks.

Any ideas or insight from anyone on anything?

LA_MERC_YellowDog
September 16th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Build up a case, fire them one at a time, and then get some guys in there who "NEED" a job.

LA_MERC_Shadow
September 16th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Wow, yella. Tells us what you really think. LMAO!!!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==