PDA

View Full Version : Socket 939

LA_MERC_FragFood
February 9th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Trying to get some extra life out of an old, but perfectly functional, motherboard that currently has an Athlon 64 3000+ on it. Anyone got a socket 939 processor laying around that they want to get rid of? Dual core would be nice, but I'm open to anything above what I've got right now.

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 9th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Lemme check what my old computer is Frag...I am seriously just considering parting it out to whoever can use it.

LA_MERC_Drifter
February 9th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I have a couple of 939 processors. Here is a link to the one I purchased from NewEgg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103544

The other one is right around the one you have now if I remember correctly.

I also have the heatsinks and a couple of gigs of XMS Corsair memory that came out of the old board that went haywire.

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 10th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Sorry man, it's a Socket AM2 5200+: http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=ADA5200IAA6CS

But, I have it and the motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131011) and 3GB of RAM just sitting here...

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM
drifter what kind of ram do you have.. Im assuming its DDR?

LA_MERC_FragFood
February 10th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Drifter - How much for that 4800+? That'd be ideal.

LA_MERC_FragFood
February 10th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Tech - Hmmm, that'd work out in another box that needs an upgrade. $?

LA_MERC_Drifter
February 11th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Frag I will send it to you. It isn't doing anything now and I won't be buying a board for it to go in. If you want to give me a few bucks for it that's up to you. :) Whats the address that you want it shipped to?

Yeller I know it is DDR but I don't have it with me here at work so I will look at it tonight and see what speed it is.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 11th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Yea, I need a couple of sticks to try and juice up an E-maichine for my wife to do card printing on. Its dragging a$$ right now since its only running 256 mb ram DDR. It can handle up to 2 GBs.

I just hate to go out and buy new obsolete parts for an Old obsolete machine.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 12th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Dang Yeller - i practically gave away 4GB of DDR RAM on eBay last month :-( I wish I'd known you needed it.

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 12th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Yellow, what kind of memory do you need? I have 3GB of Corsair DDR2 XMS memory with this board...if you don't need it, I might just send it with the board and CPU

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 12th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Tech, For her machine I need DDR, However it sounds like you have the foundation for (in her eyes anyway, A decent upgrade compared to what she has now.

Im guessing the only thing I would need beyond the MOBO, Ram, and proccessor, is a pci-e graphics card.

Well that and im not sure what power supply she has, but I have access to a 350 watt PSU if I need to get it.
I put it in her sons computer, but it has since been taken away... PERMANENTLY. He wasn't using it for constructive purposes, but more rather destructive.
Came home with a How to Hack book for barns & noble, you get the picture.

LA_MERC_Drifter
February 13th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Sorry I forgot about the RAM till this morning. It's DDR 500. The part number is TWINX2048-4000PT.

I also have four 512 meg sticks of Kingston Value Ram DDR 400 if you would rather have those.

I have a couple of KVR DDR400 256 meg sticks.

Man I have crap all over the place once I get to digging. I still have a perfectly good MB with an Athlon 2400 (best I can remember) in it that I took out of a case I did an upgrade too.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 13th, 2010, 11:58 AM
drifter I can use the DDR 500 It should work in her machine, its PC400 where her Machine has PC3200, But i should be able to under-clock.
IF it dont work, I could still use the Kingston ram. Can you hook a brother up? :)

LA_MERC_Drifter
February 16th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Yeller I hope the address in the members section is still your current address because that it where it is shipping to.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 16th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Yeller I hope the address in the members section is still your current address because that it where it is shipping to.

YUP, you got it man, its still the same, so it wont be showing up at Jo Blows house and them be like,
Who sent me these spare parts for our beta max video player they don't fit in the slot's right? Hey Junior, go get me a hammer and super glue, I'll make these things fit one way or the other.

Thanks Drifter, I can put these parts to good use :)

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I have some 512Mb DDR-400 if needed. I could prolly scrounge around and find 1Gb sticks somewhere. Gotta love a shop that does break fix.

LA_MERC_FragFood
February 17th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Sunny Beach!

I mooch an upgraded processor off a fellow MERC-er, and what happens? I get it the day after my mobo pops a cork and dies. I dunno how many F's or U's to use, but FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU, etc.

Anyone ever tried finding a Socket 939 mobo? Besides eBay? From a reputable company? T'aint easy. Forgot - mobo one month outta warranty, 'cuz MSI starts the warranty clock based on date of manufacture. Not purchase. Manufacture. Bites. Great motherboards, still like 'em, but DAMN!

LA_MERC_FragFood
February 17th, 2010, 11:38 PM
OK, based on my last post, I'm screwed for a 939 mobo unless I wanna trust Joebob from Fleabay to not jack me around on a used one. Fark that.

Got a few parts left over from the old one, and these are still working.. :)

1 - Sapphire ATI 2400HD AGP video card - DVI, VGA and SVGA outputs
1 - Turtle Beach Riviera PCI 5.1 sound card with TOSLink out as well as the usual 1/8" sockets for 5 discrete channels. Oh, and a joystick port for you helo jocks
1 - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with HSF (Socket 939)
1 - AMD Athlon 64 4800+ x2 with HSF (unless Drifter wants it back) also Socket 939
1 - 1GB Stick G.Skill DDR400 (PC3200) RAM

See my thread in the Operations Center for what it's getting replaced with.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
You know, i haven't searched for a 939 board in a while, but I did think I'd see the day when you couldn't find a decent new one out their. The 939 socket was the Sh!t for a while.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 19th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Hey Drifter, I got the Ram, and installed it last night.

Works great, that solved the problem with the dragging arse software.

Thanks again man :)

LA_MERC_Drifter
February 19th, 2010, 06:25 AM
No problem, glad it could be of use.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 19th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Hey Fragfood I got this off of [H]ardforums:

So I believe this is the correct forum to post "What is it worth?" threads.

Currently in a complete running pc I have an ECS KN1 lite SLI, Athlon 64 3400+, Thermaltake HSF, Kingston 1gb DDR3700(pretty sure it is dual channel), Nvidia 8400GS, WD 80gb HDD, Pioneer DVD burner, CD ROM, cheapy PSU that has worked without a hitch for a few years now, biege no name case loaded with Ubuntu 9.10.

Here are pictures of everything along with Win 7RC scores as well as a speed test on a freshly installed Ubuntu.

LA_MERC_FragFood
February 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Note to self - Always take your own advice first.

I've always been a proponent of "get a good, high quality, overspecced power supply so you never have to worry about that being a problem." Well, that avenue, which I DID take on the PVR build, turned around and bit me in the ass this time. I took alla my new, gleamy parts and put 'em in the case for the PVR, routed all my cables and generally spiffed it up the way I like 'em. Plugged in the power...

Nothin'. :eek:

Fans all spun, but the HDDs never did, and the damn box never POSTed. Headscratch.

Poke-n-prod, etc.

Nothin'. :dunno

CAN'T be the PSU, it's an Antec Truepower 500. Reseat cables, recheck connections. Headscratch.

Nothin'. :dunno

Fuggit. Grab my old PSU (Thermaltake True 460W) and throw it in the case.

Shazam! Boots right up. Boot into safe mode, delete a bunch crap, reboot. Fires right up again. Load drivers and allathat. Whomp! Goes like nobody's business.

Soooooo. Facepalm. Gotta remember that even when you've got a good PSU "that will never be a problem 'cuz it's over specced and plenty big," check the damn PSU! :flack:

Anyway, got a nice upgrade out of it, and Jaycifer gets the old stuff for a nice upgrade for him. :D

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 21st, 2010, 02:59 PM
So, you didn't have a bad MoBo I take it?

LA_MERC_FragFood
February 21st, 2010, 05:51 PM
At this point, I don't think so. I'll let you know once Jaycifer gets it in his rig. I wasn't going to dis/re assemble the whole thing to check, but all indications point to it being a PSU issue after all is said and done.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==