PDA

View Full Version : Help

Corona
July 31st, 2002, 09:21 PM
my bro has got an abit KR7A mobo and an amd Athlon xp 1800 processor... and he tried to install an os... i think it was 2k... and then updated his bios... and he said his system crashed after update...now i have the computer and i have taken it all apart to see if everything was pluged in right and i trun it on and there is nothing that comes up on the screen... i mean nothing just blank... how can i tell if it is the bios that is bad or the processor... and one other thing how much of a power supply do you need for an Athlon xp 1800... can anyone help me get something on the screen?????

:confused:

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
July 31st, 2002, 09:45 PM
Corona, why don't you try to clear the cmos. On most motherboards, you have to turn the power off, unplug the power card, and then jump the jp2 and jp3 pin on the motherboard for a few seconds then put the jumper back on jp1 and jp2. Some motherboards are not always jp1,jp2, and jp3 but they should be clearly marked as the cmos jumpers somewhere on the motherboard. If this doesn't work, let me know. Maybe we can hardcode the bois back in there but I need to know what bios it was running before it crapped out.

IamTylerDurden
July 31st, 2002, 09:49 PM
I had one do that... it was my proc!

Corona
July 31st, 2002, 11:17 PM
hey can you explain that again in detail... i kinda know what you mean but... huh

Corona
July 31st, 2002, 11:25 PM
i think the bios was Soft Menu 3... but im not sure

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
July 31st, 2002, 11:33 PM
Corona, just hit me up on ICQ when you have time.

Corona
July 31st, 2002, 11:34 PM
i dont have to take the battery out do i... all i have to do is unplug the power cord on the the mobo... right?

Corona
July 31st, 2002, 11:47 PM
i have 3 pins for cmos1... i unpluged the power cord to the mobo... moved the jumper from pins 1 and 2 to 3 and 4... waited 10 sec... then moved the jumper back to the 1 and 2 pin... pluged the power cord in and turned it on and nothing ... i dont think it worked...

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
August 1st, 2002, 03:35 AM
There are almost always just 3 pins.. not sure why you have 4.. what is the exact model of that motherboard

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 1st, 2002, 06:43 AM
I still like La Tech's six foot method better...

LA_MERC_Onji
August 1st, 2002, 07:06 AM
Corona I am fighting a similar battle with an abit kg7 motherboard. I can get windows installed but it locks up in any 3d application. I have done everything. I have found a good resource for us tho:

http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/kg7kr7faq.htm

That entire site is dedicated to our boards. Also try searhing or asking your question on these forums:
http://www.hardforums.com
http://www.sharkyforums.com

These guys know their stuff.

Things i have tried:
1. Removed every other card except the video.
2. Updated to the latest bios.
3. Tried moving the ram to a different slot.
4. Messed with the agp appature size and other agp settings in the bios.
5. Cleared the cmos.
6. Formatted and put on a fresh copy of xp.
7. Applied the latest via 4in1 drivers (did not select the agp option)
8. Applied AMD's AGP installation package.
9. Also tried win2k.
10. Tried different ram.

I am still having lockups. I have a 300w power supply in the system currently. I dont have a 350w to work with so i am going to try another psu tonight thats amd recommended. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dead
August 1st, 2002, 10:29 AM
1st of all do you hear any post beeps when you power it on?

If not look to check is the fan in the PSU is runnin when you turn it on.

If it was the proc it would give you post beeps when it tired to boot.

if the PSU fan is running good, it means you got power and if you dont get beeps then its bios related.

Corona
August 1st, 2002, 01:25 PM
sorry 0P i only have 3 pins i just had a typo ... i ment to say that i moved the jumper to pin 2,3 waited 10 sec and then back to 1,2...Still nothing on the screen... oh btw what is your icq... i dont show you online...

LA_MERC_Onji
August 1st, 2002, 01:27 PM
1. unplug your power cable from the back of the computer
2. move the jumper to pins 2-3
3. wait 30 secs
4. move the jumper back to pins 1-2
5. plug the power back in
6. power on the pc

Corona
August 1st, 2002, 02:10 PM
hey gdoge ill hold a gun to you if you come fix my computer... it would make you feel at home ;)... n e way... i took the battery out.. moved the jumper to clear the cmos and unpluged the ide cables and put them back and took every card out besides the graphics card... I DONT GET ANY POST BEEPS... heh i dont get anything

LA_MERC_Onji
August 1st, 2002, 02:11 PM
do your fans come on?

Corona
August 1st, 2002, 02:14 PM
yes fans comeon

Corona
August 1st, 2002, 02:19 PM
kk ill try it

LA_MERC_Onji
August 1st, 2002, 02:20 PM
Go here man, this is specific to your board:
http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/boot_problems.htm

Check out the 2nd link, and the 4th one from the bottom of the list.

Corona
August 1st, 2002, 02:29 PM
i dont get anything... i did what you said and looked in the manual to see if i pluged the power switch and the hdd led and the othe stuff in right and i did that right
nothing no beeps

LA_MERC_Onji
August 1st, 2002, 02:46 PM
when you turn it on, and your fans come on, does your floppy light come on and stay on at all?

Corona
August 1st, 2002, 04:16 PM
how much power supply do you need to run the abit KR7A mobo and an amd Athlon xp 1800 processor??? my bro only has a 250W

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
August 1st, 2002, 04:22 PM
I talked with Corona and it sounds as though the bios was flashed incorrectly and is now corrupt. I really don't think anything will fix it right now except to get a new motherboard. Maybe next time get a gigabyte dual bios board.. hehe, that way if you flash it improperly there is always a backup.

Corona
August 1st, 2002, 04:29 PM
haha thats what i got w00t my bor = "thinks hes computer geek"... i got the new GA-8IHXP w00t

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==