PDA

View Full Version : DSL: I want it

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 24th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Hey,

I want to know how to get DSL. I just checked with Bellsouth and they say it's not available at this time. What are my options at this point? Am willing to move.

I HATE COX CABLE!!!!

LaTech

Crazy White Boy
July 24th, 2002, 06:12 PM
i hate RR cable :( well actually them people in Mississippie(spelling) cant keep their router working. ...noobs...

LA_MERC_RiverRat
July 24th, 2002, 06:13 PM
my RR does purty damn well and right now I am stickin with it....

Corona
July 24th, 2002, 06:28 PM
i got bellsouth dsl... i like it

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 24th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Tech either call me at work tomorrow-504-253-7239 or leave your phone #, or email me and I can tell you whats the problem.
I work at BellSouth.

:blue:

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 24th, 2002, 07:16 PM
b00n Back Off! Hey Tech contact either Diesel or myself, we'll see why you have been blackballed. On second thought, call Diesel, he doesn't do anything at work anyway. :p

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
July 24th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Join the club, I'm the President.

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 24th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Hey Dirge, I take offense to that, I check the forums all the time... o.k. so I don't(take offence, the forums are awesome).
Perm no prob, for mucho $$ we can set you up nicely.:eek:
j/k that service is a pain to serve, you can only be about 2 miles from the c.o. to even get the full 4 to 6 MB/s.

Mike

}{y|3ri|)
July 25th, 2002, 01:03 AM
I use bellsouth they rock! never any down time at all... knock on wood

LA_MERC_RPSNIPER
July 25th, 2002, 01:59 PM
I have been tring to get BellSouth DSL for over a year. I am on every waiting list I can find. They still have not told me why I can not get it, just that it should be avialbe soon. I have just about given up on it.

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 25th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Ok ya b00n. Diesel and I do not handle the transmission protocol, just the expected dB loss and resistance, etc. on the line. Although he may know a little more about that than I.

Henry, I am checking on the exact reason why you can not get ADSL and will letr you know.

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 25th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Hey Henry, I checked your number out and found the following:

1) You are physically too far from the central office in Ruston to have ADSL without a Remote Solution. Your home is 22.5 thousand feet from the office. I can't tell what gauge cable you have, but as an example: 26 Ga cable can only go 18 Kf (or 1300 Ohms) and still deliver an ADSL signal. In fact, Redneck's phone number is such that his ADSL is limited because of his distance from the central office.
2) The good news: In these situations where customers are too far from the office and there is a high demand, BellSouth implements a remote solution which in effect shortens the loop length. In your case this would be shortened to around 5 Kf.
3) The bad news: Due to a difference in views between Louisiana's PSC (Public Service Commission) and BellSouth, no new ADSL Remote sites are being pursued for at least the remainder of this year. This might change next year, but this remains to be seen.
4) More Bad News: Since BellSouth facilities are used for competitor's DSL services, they will not be able to provide you with service either. Your only option right now would be a cable modem.
5) Unfortunate News: Niether Diesel nor myself work your area and will not necessarily know when you may have a remote solution available through BellSouth. Though we will keep an eye and ear open for you.

Sorry buddy. :(

P.S. You are also on loaded cable pairs, but this would be resolved if a remote solution was implemented.

LA_MERC_RPSNIPER
July 25th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Hey thanks for checking into it guys. I guess I was just not ment to have dsl. Maybe it will come sooner or later. But thanks for checking it. That ment alot.

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 25th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Not a prob, if anyone, in LA, has a question about BellSouth DSL availability, just give me or Dirge a buzz. In helping LaTech I talked to the planner for Ruston, he was kewl, and gave me some good info, but with the economy going :bigfart who knows when we can deploy our remote solutions.

Mike
P.S. Perm we will definately have to chat some day about the field end of DSL. :cool:

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 25th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Diesel,

Thanks for all the help today man. I SINCERELY appreciate it. Alicia and I are planning on moving now within a month or so! WOOHOO! DSL here I come!

LaTech

Noxious
July 26th, 2002, 12:04 AM
i got Bellsouth FastAccess ADSL.
and most of the time, while on the net, my net stops working. Its like nothing it uploading or downloading.

And my avg DL rate is like 100kbps, now from what i see, this is pretty weak.

i can usually hit 200 kbps, but very rarely.

i feel as though im getting cheated out of good internet.

can ya help me man?

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 26th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Noxious, sounds like your at the low end, but if you are far from the central office, it just might be putting out all the juice it can handle. Try calling the Fastaccess people and ask them to test your line, but I'm pretty sure it will meet the min standards. Good Luck

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 26th, 2002, 09:01 AM
You can only do so much on copper cable :loser
Someday we will all have fiber to the house, and able
to download at 45MB/s...VDSL :cool:
/me daydreams of a computer downloading as fast as
Vicious (aka Pvt Minesweep) can rant. j/k ;)

Noxious give me a pvt message with your tel# and I'll research.
Mike

Omega_Prime
July 26th, 2002, 12:13 PM
k here is my problem, i have no dsl or cable and im mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i live in grayson la phone #318-649-0379 columbia has dsl which is only about 4 or 5 miles away, and ive checked with bellsouth and they tell me that dsl should be ready for me towards the end of the year. man i dont care what kind of broadband comes this way just as long as i can get online and ping at least a 150. someone help me please............ i also heard that cablevison was bringing digital cable here in the fall but was not setting up any kind of broadband for at least the new year. :mad: ;(

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 26th, 2002, 12:44 PM
OMG I just looked up your line. I can barely belive you even have electricity! You live almost in Afghanistan! Your serving area is up to 45 Kf away from the central office. The good news is that when BellSouth does install a remote solution, you may be able to get ADSL. I think Diesel is going to check with the planner for that area to see what the status is.

But dang it man, move back to civilization!

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 26th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Oh yeah, I just saw you have T1 pairs in your box. If you want, you drop down some mega bucks and get a T1! LOL

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 26th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Omega, I checked with the planner for that area he says no go on DSL, since there is not a Fire Dept whithin 20 miles. :D j/k He actually said that next year will look good if the budget holds out..Cross your fingers.

Omega_Prime
July 26th, 2002, 03:03 PM
k thanks man, do some work hook me up dang it man im going crazy without broadband.

Lexian
July 26th, 2002, 03:45 PM
so move back to monroe dipstick...

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==