PDA

View Full Version : Solid PC for cheap:

LA_MERC_MadMAX
May 5th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Hey guys - I'm "clearing the heard" of some of my older systems...I just have too much crap around here that isn't being used (or used to it's fullest)...
This was my last pc before building the quad - Mom was using it, but honestly, it's just wasted on her - it only takes just so much computing power to run Firefox, Thunderbird and AIM ;-)

It's a Core2Duo e4600 (2.4) w/ 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and 9600GT - I have it on ebay, w/ a reserve of $300, so if you know anyone that needs a decent system for not a lot of dough, it'd be a good deal:

Auction on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260405160940&ru=http://shop.ebay.com:80/%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw% 3D260405160940%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1)

I have it listed as "No OS" on eBay, but if one of y'all (or someone you know) buys it, I'll load either Vista or XP x64 (or, heck any Linux distro you'd want or even Hackintosh it for you).

If you view my other items, you'll see some other random junk you might be interested as well...I also might have some other older systems and junk up soon...still haven't decided what I want to keep, and what I want to get rid of. None of the other stuff has a reserve...I just set a reserve on the PC b/c I didn't want to just "give it away"...

LA_MERC_YellowDog
May 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Jayson the system your mom was using? What kind of powersupply dose it have, also the MOBO?

my server box has developed a (I want to go black screen, and non responsive whenever I want to! ) Problem.. and I just don't feel like spending any more money on the system.. its just getting too old. (AMD Socket A 2800+ MSI 400 Mhz FSB.... AGP.. DDR ram... you get my drift...

Anyway I need to throw together another box that will run 24/7 stable.. and handle a DVR recording app for camera surveillance as well.

Needs to be windows based.. since most do it yourself DVR capture cards have windows based software.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
May 5th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah - Mom was using this box - all she does is pogo.com, aim and thunderbird, so she really doesn't need that box, so I thought I'd sell it. I've got an AMD Dual-Core I am going to give her...still overkill, but I figured the Intel box would have "better resale value", so I picked it as the one to sell... :-)

The PSU is a OCZ 500W and the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
May 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Also I should add that the HDD is only about 1 Mo old...I had an old IDE drive in it, but I bought a couple of 1TB drives off of NewEgg as "Shell Shockers" pretty cheap - put one in my system as a secondary drive, and one in that system to replace that old IDE...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
May 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Hey Parker - dunno if you were really interested or not, but at the advice of someone who has far more ebay experience than i do, I opted to remove the reserve, and adjust the starting bid - it's at $200 now - no reserve.

Just thought I'd let you know. I *just* put $200 into it a little over 1 mo ago w/ the HDD and the RAM, so I figured that would be a good "starting point" for my rock bottom price...

LA_MERC_YellowDog
May 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM
OK Jayson, when I get home I will do some math... and make myself justify the "investment" LOL.. but it dont sound like a bad deal to me.. all I need is a box that I can depend on to stay running, 24/7 without having to check it out every 2 days to see what errors Im getting..

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
May 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Who in their mind checks for errors?

LA_MERC_YellowDog
May 6th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Who in their mind checks for errors?

Nobody ask for a response from the peanut gallery!!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==