PDA

View Full Version : Y'all are going to think I'm crazy, but...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I wasn't going to say anything until I saw if it sold or not...

Here she is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260367757551

You ever get something you just didn't like for some reason, but can't put your finger on? Well, this is how I've been with this system...

I really don't know what it is - the performance is great, it looks awesome, but I just don't like it, and I've beat myself up over it with "Man I wish I'd gotten this, or that, or something else..."

I got the "upgrade bug" and I was just in too big of a hurry to pull the trigger on *SOMETHING*...*ANYTHING*...

Ever been like that about something?

Anyway my major annoyances are sound - gawd this thing is loud. It actually wouldn't be if my Mom didn't keep it like 90 degrees upstairs to keep it 75 downstairs - I have to keep the fans jacked up on high to keep it cool...

Also, it's dusty - I have a dusty house (not intentional, it's just been "dusty" since I've lived here - you have to keep up with it), plus I have two dogs...and this case is so perforated, it's like a giant vacuum cleaner - I'm on my 3rd can of air in a month.

If it doesn't sell...oh well, I'll live with it. If it does, I actually will probably just "beef up" my Core2 system - maybe with a sweet case (it's in a $29.99 Tiger Direct special now) and a better video card. I might even buy a Core2Quad to stick on that board (it's a good board) and pick up a cheapo MiniATX board and case and make a HTPC out of the e4600 that's in it now. OR...I might get a Mac (who knows?).

I really did a "major upgrade" way too soon (or not with high-end enough parts) - I couldn't tell much difference in performance over the old system w/ the new (except in a few Multi-threaded, CPU Bound benchmarks), and I just never got that "Wow" factor (like I did when I saw Mavericks Core i7 run 3DMark)...

Just posting here in case y'all know someone that could use a good deal on an awesome little "Budget Gamer".

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 26th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Jayson, how much are you standing to loose if you sell it for 750... not that I am interested in buying it, since i made my big upgrade a while back.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 26th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Not counting what I paid NewEgg in shipping, I'd break even...

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 27th, 2009, 06:19 AM
That is to bad to hear Max. The only thing different between your 300 case and mine is the heatsink, and 2 front fans. I have 1 front fan and stock heatsink right now. I have to look at mine to see if it is running. I cannot hear it.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 27th, 2009, 07:35 AM
That is to bad to hear Max. The only thing different between your 300 case and mine is the heatsink, and 2 front fans. I have 1 front fan and stock heatsink right now. I have to look at mine to see if it is running. I cannot hear it.

I can't hear mine if I turn the fans down on Low...but it's too hot in the room it lives in for that...

The sound isn't as much of an issue as the perforated front...

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM
The sound isn't as much of an issue as the perforated front

Well, my 900 has the same issue with the dust collection, I carry it out to the garage ever 6 months or so to blow it out with the REAL air compressor... and in the mean time i use a vacuum cleaner with the brush to take care of the dust collection in the front... Just make sure its not running when you do that:)

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Have you tired or thought about putting some sort of "pre-filter" material behind the front panel in front of the fans.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 28th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Well, I think in Jayson's case, its not filtering after the front fans (its filtering before). The front grill with the way its made, collects a good bit of dust since it moves a Whole lot of air. he would really need one on the from of the case before the fans.. but that would not look all that great. My suggestions of vacuuming the dust out the from grill does make it easier to keep up, and not waste cans of air.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 28th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Cans of air for the insides...I've been using a regular feather duster (not lugging Vacuum upstairs every day) on the front itself.

I think my buddy Bass from up in NC is going to get it if it doesn't sell on eBay. I think I can kill some of the noise for him by turning off the OC, turning on Cool 'n Quiet (CPU Throttling), leaving only 1 fan in front and turning them all down on low.

One thing I do *not* like about the AMD's over the Intel is the second that you OC (either by the "reference clock (think FSB) or by the Multi on the Black Edition is that you can no longer use Cool 'n Quiet. I think that is a huge source of the heat generation in this guy, and a HUGE waste of energy. Intel will still allow you to have EIST on no matter how far you have it OC'ed.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Also, it's not just the case/noise, there are other things I wish I'd done differently.

I wish I had spend a little less on CPU/Mobo and a little more on some other stuff. I let myself get carried away, and I pulled the trigger a little quick. There were some things I *REALLY* wanted when I started out planning this build that I abandoned later on, namely:

10,000 RPM VelociRaptor for C: drive
Antec P182 Case (I *really* like this case, but it was $100 than the "Three Hundred", so I "settled" and wound up not being happy)
Production quality sound card (I wanted a new system to get back into Music recording)

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==