PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know how to format windows xp?

::FN::MaXpOwEr
July 1st, 2002, 09:02 PM
I need to format windows xp and there is no restart in ms dos mode in xp. Does anyone know how to?

bighead
July 1st, 2002, 10:47 PM
boot from the cd

Metallion
July 1st, 2002, 11:26 PM
boot from the trusted ole floppy drive...I recommend using a Windows 98 boot disk....now if your partition is using the NTFS file system then you're going to have to boot from the cd to format it.

Here's a Win98 SE bootdisk if you need it:
http://dos.li5.org/IMGS/WIN98SE.EXE

bighead
July 2nd, 2002, 08:50 AM
I agree w/ you on that one gdodge. Nothing runs cs and my other games smoother than old 98

Metallion
July 2nd, 2002, 04:25 PM
lol XP is the most stable OS ever in my opinion....check out my stats...of course 10 days of this I was in Europe

\\BRENDAN has been up for: 23 day(s), 2 hour(s), 3 minute(s), 22 second(s)

and if you really want to get owned check out my home server's stats...hey Joel can your server do this??

\\SERVER has been up for: 94 day(s), 4 hour(s), 22 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Both are running XP Professional =)

cd
July 2nd, 2002, 04:37 PM
w00t... thats l337 right there... i cant go more than 4 days on my home computer runnin ME without restarting

bighead
July 2nd, 2002, 05:17 PM
actually win2k is the most stable boon..but win98 is the best for gaming..how u think i own u. hehe j/k bro..xp is ok..not knocking it a bit. i have a xp box but personally for gaming i like win98se better. but you know what opinions are like.

Metallion
July 2nd, 2002, 05:22 PM
I've had a lot of probs with Win2k...just for laughs here's Joel's Win2k uptime stats for the good ole "server" here running Win2k Pro

\\192.168.0.1 has been up for: 6 day(s), 1 hour(s), 15 minute(s), 34 second(s)

That's amazingly good considering it normally goes down everytime Honor plays DOD...I think the longest it has been up is 12 days..lol

Metallion
July 2nd, 2002, 06:56 PM
My main production computer has been up for 23 days...sure 10 of it was vacation so that means its been up 13 days with full usage...and I normally have about 10-20 apps constantly running on it. I will go ahead and say that my configuration of XP is flawless. I bet you can't leave your Win98se machine on for 23 days ;)

bighead
July 2nd, 2002, 09:37 PM
my win98 has been up for 28 days now..no problem..all xp is is win2k and 98 in a blender..but to each his own :C)

Metallion
July 2nd, 2002, 10:17 PM
If you or anybody you know has a real issue with XP that you can reproduce, drop me a line and tell me about it and I'll pass it along to the right people...I love XP and can't find anything wrong with it =)

bighead
July 3rd, 2002, 06:34 AM
I knew blake could find one... I can give you a list of what's wrong w/ xp. No OS is flawless, so i'm not going to go into it. If you want metallion give me your e-mail and i'll send you a list. But again, I'm not knocking XP. I don't think it's a POS. I'm just saying for gaming, in my opinion you can't beat ole win98se.

Metallion
July 3rd, 2002, 06:40 AM
Blake...I think that "bug" is what Microsoft calls "by design"...I'll report it but I don't really think they'll touch that one until the next version of Windows.

The only problem I have with XP is that it doesn't play nice out of the box on an ICS network (like we have going here @ SGU)...you have to tweak an entry in the registry and that just isn't happening with computer novices.

My email is [email protected]

LA_MERC_Onji
July 3rd, 2002, 07:00 AM
I have an issue, I got a new harddrive so i installed xp on it, ntfs, the works. Installed my latest video drivers, sound drivers, and all the critical updates. Now only in War3 it completely locks in about 5 mins. No other 3d game does it. I even applied the war3 patch that came out yesterday. The event viewer says nothing about why it locked. I'm going to try reinstalling war3 tonight. Whats so odd is i was running XP on my old drive and it ran war3 fine. I cant stand it because i'm addicted to the single player campaign right now lol

Metallion
July 3rd, 2002, 01:28 PM
I don't think the filesystem is the problem...I run FAT32 simply because if you ever need to drop to DOS, you can see your partition...DOS is blind to NTFS...

Sounds to me like war3 doesn't like the video drivers or something...try tweaking the video card and in game video settings and see what you can come up with...if all else fails reinstall War3...oh yea my copy of that will arrive Friday...I can't wait..

MRBIG85
July 4th, 2002, 01:04 PM
I have been an avis user of 98SE since it came out.I think that It is very good,but I think that XP is just a hair better.[Network card installs it self]

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==