PDA

View Full Version : Portable hard drive problem

LA_MERC_Drax
September 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I still can't figure out, why can't i copy large files from my pc to a portable hard drive. We had this problem at the lan with my hard drives, even tho they have PLENTY of free space on them.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
September 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Do you get an error? Did you check event viewer?

Can you give model number/specs of the hards drives, the type of connection, motherboard model and OS?

LA_MERC_Onji
September 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
i was in the process of fixing this for you at the lan, but we ran out of time.

your going to need to format the drive with NTFS, its FAT32 right now. so you need to copy all of your stuff off to a pc somewhere, format it for NTFS, then copy all the stuff back on.

you'll then be able to do large files.

LA_MERC_FragFood
September 17th, 2008, 09:18 PM
No need to move the files first. Use the CONVERT command from a DOS prompt. Close all connections to the drive in question (like Windows Explorer, etc.), then open a DOS box and type:

CONVERT driveletter /FS:NTFS /V

and let 'er rip. There are other parameters you can use along with it. Type CONVERT /? in a DOS box to see them, but the command above should do it for you.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 18th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Yeah what they said.

LA_MERC_WBHighwind
September 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM
YEAH, what they said!

LA_MERC_Onji
September 18th, 2008, 07:57 AM
No need to move the files first. Use the CONVERT command from a DOS prompt. Close all connections to the drive in question (like Windows Explorer, etc.), then open a DOS box and type:

CONVERT driveletter /FS:NTFS /V

and let 'er rip. There are other parameters you can use along with it. Type CONVERT /? in a DOS box to see them, but the command above should do it for you.

awesome, didnt know this. thx for the info :)

LA_MERC_Shadow
September 18th, 2008, 10:02 AM
didnt know this

Never heard this from Onji before!!

LA_MERC_Drifter
September 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Mark it down cause it doesn't happen often!!!

LA_MERC_Drax
September 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Holy snikes, the all knowing one learns something??!!

LA_MERC_Drax
September 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Cool, that worked fairly fast and really easy, thanks frag

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==