PDA

View Full Version : Riding the storm out (GUSTAV!)

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
OK, Gulf was flat the Saturday before GUSTAV hit. So I went lobster diving. Boat of 3 divers got 13 lobsters. Four of which I caught myslef. 3 Spinies and 10 shovel nose lobsters. So Sunday as we waited for GUSTAV I grilled the tails up on teh grill basting in a garlic butter sauce, YUMMY!

Then becuase I never lost power Matt and I played WOW while we drank beers until we passed out. All in all not a bad Hurricane for us. Check out the Pics.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Dirge called me and he says he's fine. They evac'd to Mississippi and although went without power for 3 days and no showers for 3 days he and his are doing fine. He's headed home to hopefully a house with power and no trees in teh roof.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 2nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
And I had to post this one. My youngest one Connor playing with the lobsters.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 2nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Good to hear man. Nice lobsters

LA_MERC_Onji
September 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
andy i think this is the first time in the 8 or 9 years that ive known you, that i have ever seen your kids

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Glad someone enjoyed themselves... lol Oh, my house is fine. No power yet, but freezer is still near frozen. I need a shower in a bad way.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
That's probably becuase I keep them locked up in the cellar most of the time.

Lol, I kid I kid, here they are a few weeks ago taking them deep sea fishing. They love it!

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 2nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Good to hear Dirge. Glad everyone is safe.

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
happy update. Power is on at my house. The fridge and freezer are saved! I'm eating microwaved burritos as we speak!

LA_MERC_Bacowrath
September 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
We're still in Alabama waiting to hear news about our house. There were 2 pine trees behind my house, one cut the house in half in Katrina from the northern winds. Hopefully, with the southern winds this time, the other one fell toward my neighbor's house :p

PS: Andy, my wife wants a lobster :p

Barry

LA_MERC_Shadow
September 4th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Our house is fine, no power, finally got water yesterday (yay for showers!). Im running on generator power right now, until these bastages get my power up.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 4th, 2008, 09:42 AM
To bad a railroad around y'alls area wouldn't lend a locomotive or multiple locomotives to help supply power to the hardest hit areas. Those things are just big electric generators.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM
To bad a railroad around y'alls area wouldn't lend a locomotive or multiple locomotives to help supply power to the hardest hit areas. Those things are just big electric generators.

Good call Mr. Science.... Lay some track boys and wheel'er on in!

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 4th, 2008, 10:22 AM
locomotive wouldn't do anything useful to be honest. The main transmission lines are down and breaks in distribution. They have to fix the main ones first. So the distribution is not fixed, so other sources wouldn't do any good.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 4th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Pus the voltage and amperage is different. You would need some serious step transformers to get it "transmittable" becuase the load regulators on diesel electric locomotives are not steady state. They alter the voltage and amperage to effectively control the speed of the electric motor. Not to mention a steady supply of diesel.

LA_MERC_Drax
September 4th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Got my power back last night, and got my internet and cable today. Parents house over in Brusly still dark and trees laying everywhere. BR caught a punch in the mouth from this storm, but it seems to be gettin handled fairly well.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==