PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Silverado LTZ

LA_MERC_Wetzny
August 13th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I know usually when you "Techno-Wizards" see a post from Wetz in this forum you either flee or laugh your arse off... Hey I know it's true!!!

My truck has the rear entertainment center for the kids. Why I don't know, because I rarely let them ride in it. Case in point, last night on our return from an evening of fishing, Reagan spilled half a bag of corn-nuts on the floor! Thank Gawd for Rino-lining floor covers!

Any way I would like the DVD to play on BOTH the rear screen and the front screen while the car is in Drive. Due to safety restrictions the DVD will not play on the front command screen while the car is in any gear other than park. Is there a hack, crack or any other suggestion?

Thanks!!!

Wetz

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
August 13th, 2008, 08:18 AM
On my 08 ford, I bought it with the in dash 6 cd player and no nav. Found a really good deal on craigs list for nav/dvd OE, guy bought the truck and ripped the stock stuff. I took it to a local stereo place for them to install, and wanted the same thing as you. There were several things that had to be bypassed and new software that had to be loaded, not very user friendly. Im not sure there is an easy way to get what you want done. Didnt matter in my case as they had to pull the dash to do the install anyway.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
August 13th, 2008, 08:19 AM
just like most other controls and lock outs, there is most likely a way to bypass the lockout. i.e. on the Honda Odyssey there is a lockout that prevents the automatic side doors from opening while the vehicle is in any gear other than park. Some people "on the internet" got a hold of the wiring diagram and found a very simple way to bypass the lockout.

Just do a google search for something like "silverado DVD gear bypass" and I'll bet you have your answer within the first 5 links.

ok, tried it myself and it was actually the 2nd link that came up (http://chevroletforum.com/m_40418/tm.htm)

gotta say though, I hope you are not wanting to watch a movie while driving. that would be pretty poor judgement a putting other people on the road at risk.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
August 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM
gotta say though, I hope you are not wanting to watch a movie while driving. that would be pretty poor judgement a putting other people on the road at risk.

No way man... I'm usually TOO HAMMERED to watch a movie and drive at the same time... :stick

Thanks for the link...btw

LA_MERC_Drax
August 13th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Wetz, I have a 07 Avalanche with the entertainment package, same problem. There is a module you can get that will bypass the motion sensors in the front screen, but I hear its like 225 bucks or something near that. I never searched into it that far, but it is annoying when you start moving and you're looking up something on the nav system and it blocks you out because of motion.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
August 13th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I found it, but it requires disassembly of the console and THAT I won't do. It would certainly void any warranty and on this rig a warranty is worth more than watching Star Whoores while drinking and driving.. lol

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
August 13th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Can you plug another screen into the system?

If you can get a 7" and mount it to your visor...That way when you are pulled over driving intoxicated you can use watching pron as the excuse!:stick

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
August 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM
OR you could take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

LA_MERC_DocSparky
August 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Any way I would like the DVD to play on BOTH the rear screen and the front screen while the car is in Drive. Due to safety restrictions the DVD will not play on the front command screen while the car is in any gear other than park.

This is the same situation we have with our Odyssey (except it will not even play on the front screen when in park). The most irritating thing about it is that you can't easily start shows for the little ones when the start of the DVD is full of marketing garbage (ex. Disney DVDs). We ended up ripping and burning a copy of our common DVDs without the menus so it would go right into the movie. Just put the disc in the player and you are golden.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
August 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM
OR you could take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

And WTF does that MEAN?!!! :stick

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
August 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Im not tearing into the dash of my new truck either- lol.

LA_MERC_WBHighwind
August 13th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Well if your having this many issues with your truck Wetz I would be more then happy to take it off your hands...

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==