PDA

View Full Version : Changing my IP address

LA_MERC_goose
July 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Ok, so I did something I wasn't suppose to and got my IP address banned from a website. Sure, I could unhook the router and refresh the IP and go back in but I want to keep the router in the loop for several reason.

My question to the gurus, is there a way to change the IP address within the router? The IP address I get from ipconfig is no where near the same address I get from the router. And while connected to the router, I'm banned, but if I skip the router I'm not.

Router = Linksys Cable / DSL 4 port

LA_MERC_Nutria
July 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
yeah.. I want to know too.. haha.. I am in the same boat as Goose

LA_MERC_DocSparky
July 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
You can try one of the anonymizer sites. Here is one (http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html). I've known other people to use them, but I haven't tried them out. You can do a web search to find out more about them.

LA_MERC_Nutria
July 23rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
they make your browsing really slow though

LA_MERC_goose
July 23rd, 2008, 12:30 PM
I've tried that but it seems to be blocked. Torpark works but it's flacky, at best, and slow.

LA_MERC_DocSparky
July 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
Because of the way they work, you will always be dependent on the speed of the anonymizer site. Each ISP works a little differently, but your IP lease doesn't change very often. If you have a cable modem, you could always pick up another one or swap modems with someone else. The different MAC address will almost always give you a new ip. Note: you generally have to register the MAC address with the cable company.

I guess not getting banned in the first place isn't an option. :stick

LA_MERC_goose
July 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
I guess not getting banned in the first place isn't an option. :stick

Smart@$$ :twak

LA_MERC_DocSparky
July 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
What ISPs do you guys use? We probably have someone that knows the particulars of that system. I know my AT&T DSL will changes IPs periodically and there's probably a way to kick that off (like releasing and reacquiring PPOE authentication).

Looks like you are on Road Runner, ey Goose.

LA_MERC_goose
July 23rd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Time Warner Road Runner. Let me guess, the sc.rr.com gave it away? LOL! =p

LA_MERC_DocSparky
July 23rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Time Warner Road Runner. Let me guess, the sc.rr.com gave it away? LOL! =p

Well, I wasn't trying to play the part of a mystic in pointing out that somewhat obvious fact. At any rate, perhaps others will be more useful in helping out.

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
July 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Just as your pc is pulling an IP address from the Router so is your Router pulling an address from your ISP. Depending on when your IP address renew's from your ISP you could leave it unplugged for a day or so to let the address release. Then plug it back in and see what your new address is. However, I don't recommend just having your computer plugged directly to your cable modem with no firewall running or other security measures in place.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
July 23rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
The IP address is assigned to the MAC address on the router port and your computer nic. When you plug in your modem directly into your nic, it pulls the ip that got assigned to that MAC. When you plug it into your router, it assigned the IP for that MAC address.

These will stay the same until the TTL expires on Time Warners end. At that time, you could release and renew to try to get a new ip. Time Warner also uses last in, first out. Meaning, you could try to release your ip and it will go back into their pool. It will then be the first one reassigned when someone else on your particular node request a new ip (which could take a while).

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
July 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Who wants to jump on Goose's node and ask for something when goose releases it?

I am out.

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
July 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, what Toby said.

LA_MERC_Drifter
July 23rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
What kind of router is it? I have a Linksys that will allow you to clone a mac address. Taking what Toby said into account if you were able to clone the PC's MAC the you would be pulling a different IP.
Just a thought.

LA_MERC_FragFood
July 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Go into the router's configuration menu and look its current IP address. Then look for an IP Release / Renew function. Try that and see if your IP address changes. If not, then release the router IP and unplug the ISP cable from it. Wait an hour, then plug the cable back in and reboot your router. That should give the system enough time to allocate your old IP address to someone else (hopefully). Dunno if this'll cause any other problems, and I don't know what the TTL on a DHCP lease from Roadrunner is, so YMMV.

Another thing to try, if you're on cable, would be to call their tech support and ask them to "reprovision" your cable modem. That may cause a different IP addy to be assigned.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
July 23rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
Just call the Internet Help desk GURU and tell the 20 yr old that you cheated and was banned. You are looking for a new IP addy and he would be such a G..A..W..D.. if he could do that. :stick

LA_MERC_goose
July 24th, 2008, 07:50 AM
1) I am ignoring you, Rook. :D
2) I have tried the release and wait option and still received the same ip
3) It is a Linksys and I saw the MAC address alias but didn't want to screw something up so I didn't mess with it.

LA_MERC_Drifter
July 24th, 2008, 08:44 AM
It basically will take the MAC address from your pc and use it instead of the one that is assigned to the router. Therefore the outside world will be seeing the MAC from your PC instead of the router. If you were able to plug directly in to the modem and get to the web address then that should solve the problem.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==