PDA

View Full Version : WTF XP!

LA_MERC_Andyconda
July 1st, 2008, 07:02 AM
What's this crap I hear about Microsoft not selling Windows XP anymore?

LA_MERC_Andyconda
July 1st, 2008, 07:03 AM
Should I go ahead and upgrade to Vista or wait for Windows 7?

LA_MERC_Onji
July 1st, 2008, 07:07 AM
vista is fine. i'm running vista ultimate 64. once you do the sp1 patch and a few minor tweaks, its awesome

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 1st, 2008, 09:03 AM
vista is fine. i'm running vista ultimate 64. once you do the sp1 patch and a few minor tweaks, its awesome

Amen brotha! If you have a machine that can run it, it purrs like a kitten and is extremely powerful.

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
July 1st, 2008, 10:02 AM
Yep.

Ultimate 64 is very nice.

LA_MERC_Drifter
July 1st, 2008, 12:53 PM
I am running Vista Ultimate 64 and 32 on different pc's and I like it better than XP after some tweaking.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
July 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
The thing i would like to know is What "Tweaking" is.. other words someone lay it out for the guys whos not familiar with it.. who wants to buy it "Tweak it" and run.

LA_MERC_Onji
July 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM
I just turn off the annoyances:

- disable UAC (its the new thing in vista that asks you evertime you do something, kinda like a personal firewall)

- kill security center (you have to do it a little differently from xp) (then disable service)

- kill windows firewall (and disable the service)

- kill windows defender (and disable the service)

Thats mainly it. I can step-by-step it when you get ready.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
July 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
Do we have a copy of Vista 64 on the ftp and if you're disabling the firewall and security stuff Darren what service are you using for that (Symantec, Macafee, AVG, NOD, etc....)

LA_MERC_Andyconda
July 1st, 2008, 03:24 PM
I think its time to make an upgrade in OS (Whats the release date so far for Windows 7)

LA_MERC_Onji
July 1st, 2008, 03:46 PM
i'll grab a good copy of vista 64 with sp1 embedded and upload it. i usually just put on avast or avg. no idea on windows 7

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
July 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM
I love all the Apple pissants hacking on Microsoft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDQ0wUcSPQ

LA_MERC_Shadow
July 1st, 2008, 06:25 PM
I actually had to downgrade to xp b/c my laptop that came with vista ran so crappy. But it's just a cheapy I picked up from bb. I liked vista but it just ran so bad on my laptop.

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
I am running vista on everything I use now. It is pretty good now and it is really stable since sp1.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
July 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
I've tried it, but for some reason I just can't warm up to it - from what I've seen at work it's more of a love it/hate it kinda thing.

I'm running 2 machines at work - one is a core2duo running XP x64, the other is an AMD64 running Suse Linux Enterprise, and at home I have my desktop running openSUSE 11 and my laptop runs Server 2003.

We had a major hold up at work with Vista since our CRM package (SalesLogix) wasn't compatible with Vista at the version we were running - we just went through a major upgrade and the current version we are on IS Vista compatible, plus combined with the fact it will now cost a premium to get XP pre-loaded on the Dell Precision Workstations we buy for our "power users", I'm guessing more Vista boxes will get deployed (and probably x64 edition w/ 8GB of RAM at that).

All in all, I think it runs OK - much better since SP 1, but I switched back to XP x64 at work b/c I keep so many apps running (I use ultramon and both taskbars are full most of the time) plus, I may have up to 3 "test" virtual machines running in VMWare (one of which IS vista) at any given time locally that Vista just ends up swapping more and feels more sluggish than XP.

Once more "end-users" are on Vista I'll probably switch back, so I can be on the version they are on and seeing what they see - I had the reverse problem when I was on Vista - I actually forgot where some things were at on XP :emb

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==