PDA

View Full Version : Been looking at EV options

LA_MERC_YellowDog
May 24th, 2008, 07:17 AM
This is an older article... But the technology sure sounds good... My question is? WHERE THE HELL IS IT!

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/the_hybrid_mini.php

Seems, car manufacturers can get their Shat together and create some really great cars ... I think all thats missing is the public out cry for a vehicle that will get you 80Mpg, and better performance from the vehicle at the same time...

Heres a link to the developers of the Drive wheel motor.. and the guys who converted this Mini

http://www.pmlflightlink.com/archive/news_mini.html

LA_MERC_WBHighwind
May 24th, 2008, 02:05 PM
It does look like good technology but I would be very skeptical at its longevity. Lets see them do a 100,000 mile road test to see how it would stand up to the test of time. Thats what you have to remember is that the car manufacturers are also trying to make a car that will last and thats when you start sacrificing MPG and emissions. They are slowly getting better, but I think its gonna take either a hybrid electric move, or a move to diesel.

“According to the Environmental Protection Agency, if 33 percent of U.S. drivers switched to diesel vehicles, the country would reduce its oil consumption by about 1.5 million barrels a day, cutting oil imports by more than 10 percent”

That was a quote I used in a speech I did this last semester on diesel and why it wasn't more predominant in the united states. Half the vehicles in Europe are diesel, but only 6% in the States are (light duty vehicles, not semi's).

The truth of the matter is that we arent going to be having a change in our dependency on oil for quite a while. I agree that we need to start searching for a viable alternative to oil weather that be biodiesel, ethanol, or a back to the future style Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor that turns your household waste into energy. But in the meantime, there are things that we can do to help the situation.

LA_MERC_Spark
May 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM
ummmmm... yellar... WTF you doing on a tree hugger site :twak

LA_MERC_YellowDog
May 25th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Well Im more a of a Tree Pisser On... but, Hey, I like my trees too :)

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
May 25th, 2008, 10:08 AM
At some point we will all have to go greener with our vehicles. For the environment or economy.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
May 25th, 2008, 10:06 PM
At some point we will all have to go greener with our vehicles. For the environment or economy.

Well, I've really started looking at ways to save on energy since the sorry Bastards that keep driving the price of fuel dont care what its doing to the U.S economy...
so I figure, if im ever going to make a difference, I have to start with me.

Daedelus
May 26th, 2008, 09:13 PM
yeah very interesting stuff. i was reading about this green hummer the guys from pimp my ride teamed up with a company that does biodiesel and the made a green hummer for arnold swartzenagger. and it was incredible cant remeber the #'s but was like 60 mpg and some how it also increases the horsepower and torque by being a deisel it was 450 hp wow.

LA_MERC_Dirge
May 27th, 2008, 04:47 PM
the economy will drive the innovation. 'Tis the way of capitalism. Government forced market changes always fail, profit inspired ones wildly succeed.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==