PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Wii

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
May 12th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Ok you Wii wees....I need some advise. I'm getting a Wii for my son for his birthday. Besides the sports bundle, what games are a no brainer?

We STILL play Super Smash Bros 64 so that's a done deal for the Wii. What else would you suggest? He loves WoW...is there anythign like that on the Wii?

LA_MERC_Nutria
May 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
No real RPG's for the Wii as of yet. If you like Smash I suggest Mario Kart.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
May 13th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Mario cart is cool, the sports bundle will keep you occupied for a while by itself.

You could always try Zelda.

LA_MERC_Drifter
May 13th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Zelda was a must for me.

LA_MERC_Onji
May 13th, 2008, 07:08 AM
depends on what kinds of games he likes, does he like party type games, like with groups of peoeple? or purely solo, etc

LA_MERC_Nutria
May 13th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Metroid was a good FPS type game. There are a few 'sleeper' games out there that are fun too.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
May 13th, 2008, 08:52 AM
There are a few games that are great, but it's hard to sort through the other 195 games that kind of suck.

Some must haves:
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga

some that are probably really good, but I haven't played them:
mario cart
metroid

Some others to think about:
Iron man (I'm going to rent this one over the weekend to see if it's worth purchasing)
Upcoming SpiderMan:Web of Shadows

Others I've enjoyed playing:
Trama Center: Second Opinion
Dance Dance Revolution

LA_MERC_Nutria
May 13th, 2008, 09:22 AM
ok... These are the ones I have

No More Heroes~ Violent sword/lightsaber type game. A lot of cursing and blood. Basis is you are trying to become the #1 assassin.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles~ Rail shooter. Very good game IMO. It puts you through events of the first RE games.

Endless Ocean~ Dont waste your time or money... just had to have a bad one

Ghost Squad~ Arcade shooter. Kinda like Virtua Cop. You have three missions to play but as you beat them more paths are opened in each mission. Cheap game and I still give it a go round every now and then.

Mario Galaxy~ What can I say... it is Mario. Very fun and a trip. Gameplay is great.

Along with Kart, Metroid and SSBB... but we went over those already

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
May 13th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Ok, this is what I ended up with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280226465675&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 280226465675%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Anyways, what else do I need to go 4 player on Smash Bros?

LA_MERC_Onji
May 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM
good job getting wiiplay, i was going to suggest that for getting an extra controller

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
May 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I have the exact set up and love it. I got into trouble for letting my 2.7 yr old play boxing. Now all he wants to do is weeve, bob, and punch. LMAO. I am looking at getting a wii Olympics game. It an be played online with friends and family.

LA_MERC_Nutria
May 13th, 2008, 02:36 PM
you can use the gamecube controllers for smash brothers.. which I suggest

I forgot about another fun game... Excitetruck!
Very cool game.. get yourself an SD card and you can load up your own soundtrack for the races.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
May 13th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Ya, the Game Stop guy strongly suggested the GC controller too. I figure 4 of those plus the Smash Bros game should be a damn fine starter kit for now.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
May 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Wii Play is fun for a short time. the shooting game, battle tanks, and pool are great for some quick play time.

looks like you got a good price, that's almost the same amount you'd pay retail for those items.

LA_MERC_WBHighwind
May 13th, 2008, 09:10 PM
stop it with the wii threads cuz its making me want to buy one...

LA_MERC_Nutria
May 13th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Just don't put your hands on one. You will never put it down

LA_MERC_WBHighwind
May 13th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Oh, I know. Ive played one briefly at a party on new years eve. It was fun, however when I think of getting one I remember back to when a bunch of my buddies bought it when it first came out and none of them have it anymore cuz they said it was lame...

LA_MERC_Nutria
May 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM
don't get me wrong. Wii Sports does get old fast, but now they have a good list of quality games to keep you busy

LA_MERC_Drax
May 14th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I use nunchuck and wii joy stick for smash brothers...and i dominate those who use game cube joysticks....

Daedelus
May 14th, 2008, 10:10 PM
yeah my wife got one of these for x-mas back when there was long lines and all. i had a friend he got one from his work and sold it to me he even got employee discount.
i was going to sugest zela and metroid. the wife only has the sports pack it comes with and she just got the new mario cart and 2 of the streering wheel things. her and the kids love it. they paly enough i can finally unplugg guitare hero from my x-box 360 and play grand theft auto 4 i got last week for my birthday.

LA_MERC_johncst
May 15th, 2008, 03:30 PM
start looking at the new star wars game what I read wii is the one to play it on

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
May 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I may need to buy that one.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==