PDA

View Full Version : WELL! This is interesting...

LA_MERC_FragFood
January 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM
New P2P service blessed by the music companies, allowing unlimited free downloads from their catalogs. Details here. (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article3261591.ece)

Could it be that they've finally seen the light?

Dunno. I'm going to wait until people more technically adept than I to take a long hard look at it and what, if anything, it communicates back to the originating site. It's using a proprietary application to do the data transfer, so I'm leery for the nonce.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 28th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Qtrax files contain Digital Rights Management software, allowing the company to see how many times a song has been downloaded and played. Artists, record companies and publishers will be paid in proportion to the popularity of their music, while also taking a cut of advertising revenues.

And...

They will own the songs permanently but will be encouraged to “dock” their player with the store every 30 days so it can gather information on which songs have been played.

Sounds Fishy to me.

LA_MERC_Onji
January 28th, 2008, 07:17 AM
they had that on the radio this morning, basically they are going to have ads on each song lol

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==