PDA

View Full Version : Question for Citrix people

LA_MERC_Mercy
January 17th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I just added a new citrix server in to our Farm and i have an application that requires sql connection. To get it to work correctly on each user, i have to log each of them in to the desktop of the new server to keep an sql login from coming up when the published apps is opened.

Now does anyone know of a way to import all the existing user data from the other citrix server to the new one to prevent me from having to have each user login once to the desktop?

LA_MERC_Andyconda
January 17th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

LA_MERC_Mercy
January 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Andy, you are a n00b :D

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Mercy, I went through this last year actually man...I feel your pain. Citrix is a serious PITA...at least for me.

What I ended up doing was copying over the personal folders ($\documents and settings\*) to another drive, then when the people logged in, I copied all their crap back over. It REALLY sucked doing it this way, but I couldn't think of another easy way to keep all the data.

Also, on my Citrix box, I have everyone linked to a M$SQL DB as well. Onji got on there and fixed the program so that it would run off the local Citrix box HDD instead of off the server that it resides on, but left the tables/pointers on the main and the data in the document store...got rid of a lot of the errors we'd been having (C0000006 errors and Linkage errors). Onji is, as always, the man.

LT

LA_MERC_Mercy
January 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM
yeah i saw that too but trying not to have to make everyone login on the new server and then copy it back over...

may hit up darren and see what he thinks

LA_MERC_MadMAX
January 17th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Ernie, I emailed a friend that knows citrix and he replied with questions (don't ya hate that :) )

Are they using roaming profiles, and why do they not use the system dsn setting instead of user dsn?

LA_MERC_Mercy
January 17th, 2008, 01:52 PM
lol yeah

no we are not using roaming profiles atm...that is probably goign to change....have to get back to you on the other part Max...i havent checked that

LA_MERC_MadMAX
January 17th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Ernie:
I don't know if this will help or not, but here ya go:

If your friend does not have roaming profiles in place then he/she can export the registry key shown below and manipulate it to work for each user. If they had roaming profiles in place then this would not be needed. Or if they had Active Directory in place they could use Group Policy to push out the necessary registry key.

Some food for thought.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\Jason Test]

"Driver"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\SQLSRV32.dll"

"Description"="Test of the User DSN Registry Entry"

"Server"="DBS089"

"LastUser"="dbs089\\administrator"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\ODBC Data Sources]

"dBASE Files"="Microsoft Access dBASE Driver (*.dbf, *.ndx, *.mdx)"

"Excel Files"="Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls, *.xlsx, *.xlsm, *.xlsb)"

"MS Access Database"="Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)"

"Jason Test"="SQL Server"

LA_MERC_Mercy
January 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM
interesting...didnt think about using AD to push out the key....but that just may work...

Thanks for the information Max...tell your friend thanks

LA_MERC_Onji
January 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM
on the server goto control panel, administrative tools. then open up ODBC data sources.
goto the system dsn tab and create a connection to the sql box there.

when you set it up under 'system' dsn, anyone who logs onto the box will see the sql connection. if you set it up under user, only that user will.
hope this is what your after.

LA_MERC_Mercy
January 17th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Onji you da man

LA_MERC_MadMAX
January 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I think that may have been what Andy was getting at when he asked if they were using System DSN - gj Onji!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==