PDA

View Full Version : On a side note.....

LA_MERC_Shadow
December 28th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I've been looking at the setups yall have, and most of you seem to be running Vista. Is it still loaded with problems or is it still best to stay with xp? I know I asked the same question a while back, but I have 2 gigs of ram just sitting around since my xp can't use it, and it burns a whole in my pocket everytime I think about it.

P.S. I'm too lazy to load it and then have to uninstall if I don't like it. I rather switch when a majority can say to switch. LOL.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
December 28th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I'm not running it, I'm under the impression its still buggy. Plus, I got a valid copy of xp pro... and I'm not paying for vista.

Rollout
December 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I'm with the"Dog", XP works just fine thank you!!!!

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
December 29th, 2007, 06:38 AM
XP is better right now as there are still alot of programs that have not been updated to run on Vista. I am running Vista pretty much because I have to in order to learn it and prepare where I work the inevitable upgrade to Vista. I think Vista runs great. If you run the 32bit version, you will still have the issues of not being able to use more the 3.5GB of ram. The x64 version is what you need to be using to utilize more ram. I am runing Vista Ultimate x64 (/w beta SP1) and it does seem to get better. Again, the problem is application compatibility right now (not a fault if Vista...IMO. Afterall, it is running on a totally new kernel).

Another thing coming that might interest you is SP3 for XP. I am running the Beta that was released from MS and I must say, there is quite a bit of speed improvement after that was installed.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
December 29th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Well shovel me a copy of that Beta SP3 do0d!

I have worked on a lot of Vista machines and as soon as I can AFFORD the price tag I will upgrade to Vista Ultimate. I think Vista runs good if tweaked right. It just needs babysat more right now. That, and 3rd party software not compatible can hose all sorts of stuff.

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
December 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I wish I could provide a copy...I am under a NDA at the moment. :(

LA_MERC_Shadow
December 29th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I need to just buy a valid copy of xp 64 so I can use my computer like it should be run.

LA_MERC_johncst
December 29th, 2007, 06:48 PM
vista sp1 slows it down 10% but I here Xp sp3 20%

LA_MERC_Shadow
December 29th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Ok, Is there any difference between the OEM software version that's sold and the stuff sold in the stores? Cuz that's all I'm seeing to buy for the 64 version. Tigerdirect etc have only OEM. Just want to make sure. And don't I have to do a clean install for 64bit not just an upgrade?

LA_MERC_FragFood
December 29th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Ok, Is there any difference between the OEM software version that's sold and the stuff sold in the stores? Cuz that's all I'm seeing to buy for the 64 version. Tigerdirect etc have only OEM. Just want to make sure. And don't I have to do a clean install for 64bit not just an upgrade?

Clean installs are [always a good idea when changing your OS, IMHO. Clears all the deadwood dlls and allathat. Plus, you get a nice clean system running, and don't have to wonder if it was some kinda leftovers that make it crash if/when it does.

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
December 30th, 2007, 07:14 AM
MS OEM software licensing generally mandates that hardware must be purchased with it; hard drive, motherboard, memory, etc. The retail version that you would buy from Best Buy, Office Depot, etc, allows you to call MS directly for support. (like we do that anyway :) ) OEM is not supported directly by MS and is a system that is designed to be supported my computer manufacturers. Now having said that, go for the OEM. It should be way cheaper, especially if TigerDirect is selling it without forcing you to buy hardware. You will still have to go throught the activation process.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 3rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
I have been running VIts Home Premium since it came out. Love it, no problems at all. No spyware, malware, period. hugs and kisses

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==