PDA

View Full Version : Can I get some input?

LA_MERC_MaggotPulse
October 7th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I have decided to build a portble system for use over the road.....instead of buying a gaming laptop I am going to build a microATX gaming system....Here is my preliminary wish list...open to critique....Ya'll have a bit more experience with a lot of this stuff than I do....and I will probably have YellowDog build it....I am working on having good highspeed available to me.....I'll be back on and killing ya'll before too long.....I'm just getting my feet back on the ground....

As I said though please tell me what you think. I am open to suggestions....I want to build this right the first time.....I look forward to seing what you all have to say

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5047334&WishListTitle=Mobile+Gaming+Rig

LA_MERC_YellowDog
October 7th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Well, first off... I dont see where your going to need that extra CPU cooler... The one that comes with that CPU should work fine. Plus, you will be working with limited space... you may have issue getting it in there.

The only real reason I think you would ever need to add a larger heatsink is if your going to over clock it... With that 6850..your not going to need too.

Daedelus
October 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
looks like a good system small portable perfect for lans etc.

deathdealer
October 8th, 2007, 11:03 PM
well maggot with you building that system u r gonna need yo keep it extra cool with that card it generates alot of heat and it is huge i have a 8800 gts 640 mg card and it is awesome i just dont see spending and extra 250 dollars on it exspecially with the heat problems i have some friends that have that card and they said it heats the case rail up pretty bad hust a suggestion though

Ab1dab1
October 10th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Nice build Maggot.

I can attest to the heat. I run a micro ATX case myself and have an eVGA 8800GTS 320mb card. When I added the card my internal case temps went up about 4 degrees and I run my rig pretty cool (120mm fan for exhaust, 80mm fan in the PSU, and 120mm Zalman heatsink on CPU). The 768mb cards are nice, but unless you are dead set on having the "greatest / biggest" video card out there, you can opt for the 320 or 640 and save yourself $200 - $140. Keep in mind that in the next 8 months the next iteration of PCI Express will be released which will mean new sockets.

On other thing to keep in mind. Micro ATX cases are tight on space. That is a nice case, but I'd be mindfull of the fan configuration (2x60mm and 1x90mm). The extra heat-pipe heatsink may not fit in your case. Another thing to watch is the DVD drive. Some of the micro cases require short-length DVD drives (mine is about 1.5inches shorter than a standard depth drive).

Remember that the Raptor is going to generate extra heat as well. The side panels look like they are perforated so if heat gets bad you could likely add an 80mm fan to the side to pull more air in to the case.

Also if you are going to haul it around in your rig, stick with the stock heatsink on the CPU. You want something that is going to be low-profile and not top heavy while you are moving it around. I've seen heavy CPU coolers break off mounts or crack motherboards when getting bounced around in cars.

Here is the case that I'm running
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144110

Granted I chunked the PSU for a dual rail PSU, but the case is tight. Then again Skitts went with the same case and loaded with a volcanic Intel CPU and he can heat his whole house with his (did I mention that I'm an AMD man....gotta love those cooler temps and better performance....but that's a debate for another day).

Abi

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==