PDA

View Full Version : Failed Hard Drive

waltersw15
September 24th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I've run out of ideas, and I thought I would check the mass collection of computer knowledge in the clan before I try to send of the hard drive to see if it can be recovered.

I have a Western Digital HardDrive, that has crashed. It started clicking about a week ago, and caused my computer to not come out of sleep mode at various times. I thought I would be able to save the hard drive by taking it out of the computer and wait for a replacement to come in. However, when I put it back in the computer, it does not recognize it in the BIOS. And, by chance, if it does recognize it in the BIOS, Windows doesn't recognize it as a readable drive.

I'm just looking to try to get this drive to run long enough to get the data copied to the new hard drive. I see plenty of places where I can send it where it doesn't cost anything if they can't recover the data, and a base of $250 if they can.

Does anybody have any success stories that I can try before considering sending it off, or do you all have any good experiences with sending your hard drives off to be recovered?

LA_MERC_Spark
September 24th, 2007, 09:17 AM
go here http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?wpid=1&front_id=12 and download TRK.. read the help section. I've used this software to recover files from bad drives several times. It all depends on how "failed" your HD is, but I have managed to mount drives that were otherwise DOA.

waltersw15
September 24th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks Spark! I will definitely give that a try. From what I was reading on their site, there may be some hope for me yet.

How recently have you worked with this software? Just in case if I have some questions.

LA_MERC_Spark
September 24th, 2007, 01:52 PM
every few days really... for virus scans and imaging HDDs

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==