PDA

View Full Version : A-Data memory

LA_MERC_goose
September 11th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I purchased 2 gig of A-Data DDR400 RAM to replace the two mis matched Kingston RAM I had. Now BF2 crashes before I can even get in a server and my computer has rebooted itself twice this morning. Ideas?

LA_MERC_Onji
September 11th, 2007, 10:14 AM
check to see if either stick of ram is bad

get this program: http://www.memtest86.com/
make a bootable cd
take one stick of ram out, and boot with the cd and test the stick thats in there
after the test, swap the sticks and test the other.

LA_MERC_goose
September 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Next time I probably should ask how long is this gonna take before I start it. lol - running now on the first stick - 1hr and 15 min and only 54% passed - test #8.

Thank Darren.

LA_MERC_Onji
September 11th, 2007, 11:56 AM
remember on this software, if you see ANY errors, thats bad. you want 0 errors. The test will run until you stop it, i usually only run it for 10 mins each time. you can usually tell if a stick of ram is bad in that time period

LA_MERC_YellowDog
September 11th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Goose I had the same issue when I put DDR 400 ram in my computer.. It did exactly what yours is doing, my ram was fine. the Bus speed of my processor was 333 Mhz... but the ram's default bus speed was 400 Mhz.. they don't get along when the ram is clocked higher then the Processor.. you may want to check the specks on your Processor and see what the Front Side Bus is running at... You should be able to see those settings in Bios.

If they don't match,, or the Ram is higher than the Processor, you can under clock "Slowdown" The Ram so the processor can handle it.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
September 11th, 2007, 12:09 PM
ALSO.. Memtest showed errors on my machine too while I had this problem.. once I fixed it.. memtest came back good.

LA_MERC_goose
September 11th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Neither stick had errors.

I'm using DDR400 and my CPU is a P4 2.4 with the 533 fsb. I figured it would be ok that way.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
September 11th, 2007, 04:07 PM
yea, I would think so, as far as I know, As long as the ram is lower than the processor speed.

LA_MERC_goose
September 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM
OH GAWD! I'm just now getting the damn system running again. But now I still can't get into BF2. It opens, I log in, it give me the Highway to Tampa screen and then BAM! it closes.

I'm running a P4 2.4 with the 533 fsb
MSI 7043 motherboard
2 gig A-Data DDR400

My board bios is picking the memory up at 400 gHz. The memory tests come back no errors after two hours of running.

I'm this close |-| from pulling this memory out, putting my mismatched Kingston back in and calling it a F$%^&*! week.

LA_MERC_Onji
September 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM
if you swap the ram back out and it works you atleast know its the ram.

my system did this EXACT same thing a couple months ago. It ended up that my harddrive was going out and was developing bad sectors. (do a full surface scan to rule this out if the ram swap doesnt do the trick)

One other thing that could be causing this is if the powercord on your video card isnt plugged in (if you have a place to plug it in) OR if the vid card is getting too hot, like if the fan went out.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
September 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Humm, yea thats thought.. make sure nothing got jogged loose.

LA_MERC_MaggotPulse
September 11th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Just make sure you're up and running by the 22nd lol :stick:stick:stick:stick:stick:stick:stick:stick

Rollout
September 11th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Are you running the memory at 533? If so, I would suspect that it can't handle the 533. As an O/C geek, you ALWAYS want your memory to tun at a higher speed than the CPU to make sure it doesn't limit you. What I'm saying is you need at least 1200(600x2) memory to eliminate that as a problem. If you aren't running the memory at 533, I'm FOS(Full Of S...) on this one, according to Abi I'm ALWAYS FOS so take it for what it is worth, but my system is runing 3dMark06 at 11,346. So maybe I know something????

LA_MERC_goose
September 12th, 2007, 06:09 AM
My board bios is picking the memory up at 400 gHz.
Rollout, seriously, did you read the thread before you posted? :slp

Video card fan is running and power is plugged in - damn thing is a beast too.

I have to go to my dad's computer to get my memory back. Dumb-ass me pulled it from mine, put it in his and sent him home. His system had DDR400 in it to begin with so I'll swap these modules into his and get mine back. I'll let you know what's happening in a few hours. Damn I hate living in Lake City on days like today.

LA_MERC_goose
September 12th, 2007, 10:31 AM
**UPDATE**
Pulled memory from dad's PC, oddly enough it's Kingston DDR400, and placed back in my PC and all works well now. BF2 loads fine.

Going to test same memory in dad's PC to make sure it runs kewl but as of now, I'm good to go again.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 12th, 2007, 11:38 AM
About time tadpole. I need you front and center on the 22nd. Ten HUt!

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
September 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Stop buying A-DATA ram and you might not have these problems.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==