PDA

View Full Version : Flash Bios

LA_MERC_Shadow
June 19th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Hey guys, how do I flash my bios if I don't have a floppy drive. I'm having some problems with my computer and I was supposed to flash it soon after I bought it but never did. I thought about mount an image with daemon tools but that program gives me a problem on this computer. So how else can I do this? I'd appreciate any help u can give me. Thanks, DJ

LA_MERC_FragFood
June 19th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Hey guys, how do I flash my bios if I don't have a floppy drive. I'm having some problems with my computer and I was supposed to flash it soon after I bought it but never did. I thought about mount an image with daemon tools but that program gives me a problem on this computer. So how else can I do this? I'd appreciate any help u can give me. Thanks, DJ

Depends. If your current BIOS supports it, you could boot from a USB flash drive and flash them that way. My motherboard can flash from inside Windoze - yours might be able to as well. Did you check that?

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 20th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Depends on the what tools you have with your mother board.. Like my MSI,, it comes with a LIVE bios utility that will flash it while in windows... if you dont hav e that option, getting 3.5 floppy drive is pretty cheap, and easy to install.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
June 20th, 2007, 05:17 AM
You could buy a USB floppy drive so you never have to have an internal floppy again. They are like $20.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 20th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Yep.. that will work too... I've done that before. :)

LA_MERC_Shadow
June 20th, 2007, 08:44 AM
well, I have a asus and it has a ez flash option. It says.... when the system is at POST after reboot hold down "Alt" + "f2" to view an image. then to place a floppy with the latest bios inside.

What the hell is Post?

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
June 20th, 2007, 09:42 AM
When you start your computer you hear a beep, that's the POST saying everything is in working order. Basically as soon as you start your computer press and hold alt + F2 so you don't miss your chance.

LA_MERC_Shadow
June 20th, 2007, 10:25 AM
I've tried it numerous times but my screen just goes blank and stays that way. I've altered the boot sequence in the bios to try to boot off the usb device since I have a 1gb memory stick but it doesn't boot from it. I'm thinking of just going and buying a dam floppy drive to use just for this.

LA_MERC_Shadow
June 20th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Called tech support and it won't boot from a usb. I have to buy the stupid internal floppy drive, which i just threw away a year ago b/c I didn't think I'd ever need it. Doh!

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 20th, 2007, 12:25 PM
MUahahaha.. Little did you know...

I learned to keep one around just for this kind of crap....

Ab1dab1
June 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
Depending on how much time you want to spend trying to fight having to get a floppy.

I have made boot CD-roms with BIOS images loaded and was able to go that route.

Although it is probably faster to buy the $15 floppy drive connect it to update then put it back in the closet.

Abi

LA_MERC_Shadow
June 23rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Nah, I don't feel like going thru any more trouble than I already have. I already ordered one from newegg and just want to get this over with. Tired of crashing. Thanks for the advice guys.

LA_MERC_Shadow
July 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I forgot to tell u guys about this. I get the floppy drive, and it doesn't come with a cable so I had to order that and wait a couple days. Then I install the floppy drive but the bios file that they want me to load on the boot floppy is too large to fit on the floppy. I was pissed to say the least and the tech support was no help. But at least I have a floppy in case I need it.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
July 16th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Well what did you do to get it working??

LA_MERC_Shadow
July 17th, 2007, 06:24 AM
I ended up downloading an update program that took care of it but nowhere on their website was it mentioned. I had to DL a copy of my mobo manual and read it to find out about the program. It didn't solve my crash problem, that's y I've moved on to the memory latency now.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==