PDA

View Full Version : SATA drivers

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 25th, 2007, 07:50 AM
So I got my case and put all my stuff in the new box but when I went to boot it said I didn't find an OS. I had just reformatted like 2 days before that so it should have been there. Oh well I'll just reinstall again since I learned in my class that you can make and unattend disk so installing XP is automated.

Now XP doesn't recognize my Raptor drive so I tried to put my SATA drivers in just before installation. When I used my USB floppy drive it said it couldn't read the file. So I tried every USB port on my machine with the same result. Next I pulled an internal floppy from an old computer and plugged it in to my mobo. It doesn't say it can't read the file now but it's still not working. I press "S" to get to the screen that says put disk in A:\\ drive and press Enter. When I do this it says please wait... for about 6 seconds then comes right back to the put disk in A:\\ drive screen. I used a friends drive and cable that he knows works in. I'm still getting the same result as my floppy drive.

Thoughts and theories?

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
April 25th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Bad floppy?

LA_MERC_LaTech
April 25th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Check that the cable is plugged into the floppy drive correctly...I've put the cable on upside down and it will act like it works, but won't.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 25th, 2007, 08:47 AM
This is classic idiocy at the highest level. In my rush git r done I failed to plug a power connector into my floppy drive. Shockingly it can't read a disk if it has no power.

So I redownloaded my SATARaid drivers and made a new floppy disk, I think my old one was nerfed couldn't even format it. Says it would load the drivers on install so I continued installing and when I get to the point of formatting the drive and whatnot it says no drives detected.

I'm seriously starting to get pissed. Both because I'm a retard and it's still not working.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
April 25th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Did you make sure the SATA ports are enabled in bios?

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 25th, 2007, 09:07 AM
On my second attempt it tells me

"File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error at (1024) at line 1747 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c"

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 25th, 2007, 09:12 AM
SATA ports enabled, everything is plugged in and BIOS detects my Raptor. Just not XP.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
April 25th, 2007, 09:16 AM
What board do you have?

LA_MERC_LaTech
April 25th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Question, is this a new raptor drive? has it been fdisked? any partitions/data on it?

When it was set up before, if it was, was it set up as a dynamic partition?

Or are you trying to install Win on the Raptor? Sorry...just not following now.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
April 25th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Lets try this again.

Exile, let me know if I'm right.

You are trying to reformat again or install XP over itself? Is XP already on that drive?
You start the pc with the XP cd and it brings you to the windows install where it will not give you available drives to install XP on?

Are you sure that you have the correct SATA drivers? I don't remember having to load drivers for my sata raptor drive.

Rollout
April 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Try loading your board drivers at this point, I had this problem with an NF3 board, unfortunately I had to get an NF4 board with native SATA to correct the problem, I didn't have a floppy to try that method, cause you're right it is a PITA!!! P.S. I have a Raptor also.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium board. I used this Raptor on my old Asus board but when I got a new setup about a year ago I kept my Raptor and bought a new hard drive for my old stuff. My Raptor is about 2 or 3 years old and is the 36.7Gb variety. Before my last install on Wednesday April 18 I ran ChkDisk to make sure everything was ok. When I reinstalled a year ago I don't recall having to use any drivers during XP installation. I reformatted my Raptor last Wednesday and installed my Evaluation copy of XP Pro. I KNOW I didn't mess with any drivers then.

My new case got here last week so I put all my stuff in the new case and when I tried to boot it said something like couldn't find an OS and stopped at the BOIS screen. I thought that was odd since the only difference was a new case. Not a big deal because I wanted to practice making and using an unattended installation disk for XP. This time when I tried to install my Evaluation XP it said Windows didn't find a hard disk and make sure everything is plugged in and has power.(I actually plugged in everything in this case, and rechecked to be sure) I don't remember which onboard SATA port I originally had my Raptor plugged into on the mobo but I'm pretty sure it was SATA1. I'm going to try unplugging and replugging everything again and see what happens.

The only reason I tried installing SATA drivers at install was because Windows wasn't recognizing my Raptor. I have an IDE hard drive that it picks up fine but I want my OS on the Raptor. To make the Raptor the C drive I currently don't have my IDE drive plugged in. I'm baffled by what's happening here and I really can't think of anything else to do.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 25th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Get this, and my SATA boot up screen it says

"SATARaid Bios version 5.1.39
0 WDC WD360GD-OOFNAO 34Gb

No valide deivce! Press any key to continue...."

Think my hard drive died?

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
April 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Just turn off RAID.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 25th, 2007, 12:55 PM
It's not turned on either in the BIOS or in my SATARaid utility. It says a RAID setup does not exist.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==