PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying a camcorder

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 27th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I'm looking to buy a camcorder and would like some input from the rest of you. I would rather the ones with a HDD. Any experience? suggestions? websites that review? etc?

Ab1dab1
March 27th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Dirge it really depends on what application you are looking for.

I'm sure some of members can help you out. If I recall correctly BS had a really good one based on all the por....err.....films he had on his pc.

Abi out ;P

LA_MERC_Spark
March 27th, 2007, 08:26 PM
It's been a few years since I purchased mine, but the best bang for buck i found was panasonic. So far the only real complaint with it is battery size.. Damn thing always runs out of battery at the wrong time.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
March 27th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I can ask some of the more camera savvy people at work for some opinions, but from what I know (what little it is) - it's my assumption you should stay away from the HDD ones - they rely heavily on compression, and give the worst quality - DVC (the small tapes) are still the best quality Digital Camcorders - the mini-DVD's are the most hassle...

I will see what I can find out for you - they may have improved the HDD ones a lot since I last got my info.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
March 28th, 2007, 01:43 AM
I like my mini-DVD camcorder (Sony), and just ordered a new mini-DVD one. I think it is Panasonic.

LA_MERC_goose
March 28th, 2007, 05:29 AM
I've got a mini-dvd Hitachi - I like it, minus having to switch out DVDs every 30 minutes. If they'd come up with a 60 minute, single sided DVD I'd be good. This one has a SD card slot so I can take my still shots and run my video from the same camera - still shots are descent but not as good once I'm ready to edit them as my Sony 5 megapixel

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
March 28th, 2007, 06:19 AM
we have the JVC digital video camera. It's little and works great. Only thing about it is it don't have the tape things so that you can watch it with VHS(you know the big tape that the little tape goes in so you can watch it). You would have to d/l it on to a DVD or something. It does have the cables to hook it up to the TV and watch it that way. This one uses the mini tapes. They have those in the 60 minutes. The battery runs for a pretty good tme as well. We like ours it's a pretty good one.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
March 28th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Do you want HD quality or not. I just bought one with HD capability and love it. They are a little more expensive but worth it if you have a big DLP TV like you do. The reglar 8mm and similar stuff you won't like.

I have the Sanyo VPC HD1 and love it to death.

LA_MERC_Onji
March 28th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Here, Networkgod(jack) just got this one, and he said its is amazing, no tapes either:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8209379&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat102800050051&id=1165610938584

LA_MERC_Shadow
March 28th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I bought a sony with DV tapes b/c they have the same quality as the dvd's but last longer. I have no problems converting/storing on my computer the video. It also has a memory stick (like u have for ur still cam) for recording video or for stills.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
March 30th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Those are nice Robby, but mine has HD video capability and its on sell right now at best buy for 699. I paid 800 for mine. Very small, great video quality. If you don't get an HD quality cam corder you won't like watching it played back on you 51" DLP.

Heres a link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8020633&st=sanyo+VPC+HD1&type=product&id=1156606921577

LA_MERC_MadMAX
March 30th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Robby - this is what was recommended to me for you, although I don't know if you are willing to go this high...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8209495&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat91400050052&id=1166235562220

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 31st, 2007, 05:13 PM
Well, I wound up going with the one network god purchased. Seems good so far. As for HD: 1) I didn't really want o spend that much while it seems the Hd tech is still struggling as far as transfer, etc is involved 2) I REALLY didn't want to change out mini DVD's so often. Also, the one I got has a 25x optical zoom, while the others only go 10x. I figure by the time the HD thing is worked out and the price point moves left down the demand curve, i'll ebay the one I have and upgrade. I only have 1 MP stills, but that's why I have a 5 MP DSC, right? heh Thx for all the advice guys, it was VERY helpful.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
March 31st, 2007, 09:48 PM
One thing to note Robby is that optical zooms are not what you really want in video recording. At that magnification unless you have a tripod the image is very shaky. You just can't hold that still when magnified that much. That's the reason most video recorders are 10x. Now 25X will be nice when your taking stills but like you said, thats what camera's are for. Also, the one I showed you does not use mini DVD's. Strictly SD cards. And with a 2 Gb SD card I can hold the same as the mini DVD's (30 Minites) in HD. For instance Tyler had a T-Ball game today. These games for for about an hour. I had two 2Gb SD cards and Whala I have the whole game in HD. I can show you teh difference (Absoluetly remarkable) next time your over. But I don't need to tell you teh difference with HD. Your the one that got me into it. And forever has it consumed my fate.

LA_MERC_Dirge
April 1st, 2007, 08:13 PM
da,m boy, don't get your feelings hurt :Stick hehe same thing with the sd cards, i didnt want to be switching em out all the time. I'll probably wind up going to hd soon enough, just want to wait a little while yet. P.S. I guess I could have gotten you to show me your HD camera last weekend DOH

LA_MERC_Andyconda
April 2nd, 2007, 09:57 AM
da,m boy, don't get your feelings hurt :Stick hehe same thing with the sd cards, i didnt want to be switching em out all the time.

LOL, What are you talking about? No feelings are hurt, I just wanted to give a good friend as much information as I could so he could make the best decision he can. Nothing else.

LA_MERC_Dirge
April 2nd, 2007, 07:58 PM
That's it!!!! Now MY feeligns are hurt! You owe me a beer!!!!

did it work?

LA_MERC_Andyconda
April 3rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
did it work?

If by you mean, will I buy you a beer. Well, yes, so it musy have worked, LOL. I'm always up to contribute to the intoxication of a friend. That's you the kind of guy I am. You can count on me stud.

LA_MERC_Dirge
April 5th, 2007, 08:06 AM
w00t I'll film it for you!

LA_MERC_Andyconda
April 5th, 2007, 08:39 AM
lol

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==